Drums >

Lost Sailor >

Saint of Circumstance >

So Many Roads >

Liberty

E: 2nd That Emotion

Ripple

My thoughts:

LOVE the original setlists, and I'm getting perty good at guessing what the tune callers might choose. Can't wait for the next big NLQP Setlist Lotto! Cumberland, which was a sweet choice after the Big Iron, was extended rather nicely. Dancing with my 4 year old to Sitting On Top Of The World was SOOO much fun. Silver Threads was slower than the frantic late '69 versions I've heard many a' time. Both of those were great to hear live for the first time (after 107 Dark Star shows).

Mission in the Rain. Not only is it a favorite lyric of mine, but this particular rendition really hit home because I literally walked the street the State Theater is on 10 years ago as an undergrad at PSU {10 years ago I walked these streets my dreams were riding tall tonight I would be thankful lord for any dream at all}. Oooooo, one of those shivers down my spine again. :)

Unbroken was another rarity for me. Lisa shared some of the vocals. During the opening "Blue light.." she was all that I heard, and I tell you what, I think it'd be kinda cool to hear that one with just the feminine voice. Something to think about. I like to mix things up.

Shakedown rocked, imagine that! The Alligator ('nother first for me) was about 19 feet long and just as gnarly!!! Dark Star was interplanetary. Should have had a Penn State astrophysics proff there to take that one in. At the early moments in the show I swore that I heard (at least Barraco) tuning Lost Sailor so I wasn't surprised to hear that come outta drumz. Weird thing is I enjoyed that more than the Saint, and I'm a BIG Saint fan.

Then the theme of the evening kicked in. So Many Roads > Liberty, which had a nifty little transition and gave a '92 flavor, and two tunes later Ripple. Theme?? you ask. Why yes! Consider:

So Many: All I want is one to take me home

Liberty: I'm gonna find my own way home

Ripple: If I knew the way, I would take you home

Can you tell it's the "sunset" of the tour?... OK, computer desk psychology lesson over. Second That Emotion (does that contain a home reference??) was done with a joyfull playfullness and Ripple did its job, sending us home. Crowd tonight was about twice as big as the first show, and filled with more energy to boot!

See y'all at NYE???

• Forum MVP
Unbroken was another rarity for me. Lisa shared some of the vocals. During the opening "Blue light.." she was all that I heard, and I tell you what, I think it'd be kinda cool to hear that one with just the feminine voice. Something to think about. I like to mix things up.

I like that idea A LOT...

...but I think we might be in the minority.

• Forum MVP

big iron> cumberland??? are you kidding me? i would have been in heaven... my two fave cowboy tunes!!

i for one love esau!!

mission, 2nd that emotion, chain, shakedown, SOTOTW.... oh man! they never stopped rockin...

• Forum MVP

Jfolks, Herdy - gotta tell ya the Big Iron was huge! As was the notion that folks at set break, and even after the show (no stage announcement when it was over about it being an original, which is as it should be B) ) were guessing what year it was, and pretty much covering every decade. You'd have loved it!

Jfolks, Herdy - gotta tell ya the Big Iron was huge! As was the notion that folks at set break, and even after the show (no stage announcement when it was over about it being an original, which is as it should be B) ) were guessing what year it was, and pretty much covering every decade. You'd have loved it!

I liked the folks at setbreak trying to figure out what 71 show it was!

• Advisory Board
I liked the folks at setbreak trying to figure out what 71 show it was!

Sometimes I really wonder about people.... I mean, COME ON!!! Fuckin' Unbroken Chain for christs sake! 71 show.... fucking idiots... I used to laugh at these little things, but now, I find that they really irritate me...

• Forum MVP
Sometimes I really wonder about people.... I mean, COME ON!!! Fuckin' Unbroken Chain for christs sake! 71 show.... fucking idiots... I used to laugh at these little things, but now, I find that they really irritate me...

woah... easy tiger. it is irritating, but that was pretty harsh.. lol, love ya ron!

I've learned to keep my mouth shut, its hard though... had to listen to this group argue over if penns peak(74) was 80s or 90s for 10 minutes in the beer line.

Very funny. After it was done, Sue & I are headin down to say goodnight to the band and here's this guy behind us cursin up a storm that they "didn't announce what show it was"! Goin on that it was bullshit, Sue said "dude, it was an original!"

His response "Oh that's cool" On we go!

Peace.

• Forum MVP

Easy Brother Esau!!

As far as the show was concerned, it was not my cup of tea. First set was nice but second set lacked energy, rather mellow. Ended with John doing four good Jerry songs but no tear jerking ballads. I would sum it up as an average show, probably my least favorite original of this year but Toads was unbelievable and I never leave unhappy. Some are better than others...

Guest captain420

I heard cats at the NOKIA friday show after the Stranger>franklin's discussing what year....I laughed to myself...saying to myself, "ORIGINAL ALL THE WAY MAN!"

but kept the mouth SHUT!

I'm sure I have been in those shoes one time long ago....patience is virtue.. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
I heard cats at the NOKIA friday show after the Stranger>franklin's discussing what year....I laughed to myself...saying to myself, "ORIGINAL ALL THE WAY MAN!"

but kept the mouth SHUT!

I'm sure I have been in those shoes one time long ago....patience is virtue.. ;)

There are some Stranger>Franklin's that exist but I do know what you mean ... In Geneva, NY back on 11.15 the guy next to me thought it was a '77 show after an Aiko, Stranger>Franklin's opener :lol:

...not everyone can be as knowledgeable as us... :P

• Forum MVP
There are some Stranger>Franklin's that exist but I do know what you mean ... In Geneva, NY back on 11.15 the guy next to me thought it was a '77 show after an Aiko, Stranger>Franklin's opener :lol:

...not everyone can be as knowledgeable as us... :P

I'm guessing he meant the Slip>Stranger>Franklins...

I remember hearing a solid set with a h>s>fire and a big dew at a Boston 91 show. That's one of those good Hornsby/Garcia Dewa help slip...check it out if you haven't yet, I know you'll dig it. The other one is Shorline 8.17.91.

BTW--great call on that Alligator bro! My buddy told me Rob made this arm gesture imitating an Alligator chomping down on something but you called it a split second before that---you were on the vibe even before they were!

• Forum MVP
I'm guessing he meant the Slip>Stranger>Franklins...

I remember hearing a solid set with a h>s>fire and a big dew at a Boston 91 show. That's one of those good Hornsby/Garcia Dewa help slip...check it out if you haven't yet, I know you'll dig it. The other one is Shorline 8.17.91.

BTW--great call on that Alligator bro! My buddy told me Rob made this arm gesture imitating an Alligator chomping down on something but you called it a split second before that---you were on the vibe even before they were!

Yes, I know of that HelpSlipFire from 91 -- very very cool transition, love Hornsby on that ! I'll check out the 8.17 shoreline, I do that opens the show and there is a Dew to close it, thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks, I did hear the Alligator from John at the very end of the Shakedown, heard him just touching some of the notes of the jam, and then sure enough Eaton let the drummers know with his arm gesture!!. Your buddy Rob is a great guy, one hell of a dancer too!!

Archived