Mitchell Report

Dstone5553

• Forum MVP

Finally comes and what's sad is that this is probably just the tip of the iceberg...

I think this is most of the list...

One thing I noticed (being a huge cub fan) is no Sosa.

Sucks that this era will be forever be tainted as the steroid era.

Marvin Benard

Barry Bonds

Bobby Estalella

Jason Giambi

Jeremy Giambi

Benito Santiago

Gary Sheffield

Randy Velarde

Lenny Dysktra

David Segui

Larry Bigbie

Brian Roberts

Jack Cust

Tim Laker

Josias Manzanillo

Todd Hundley

Mark Carreon

Hal Morris

Matt Franco

Rondell White

Roger Clemens

Andy Pettite

Chuck Knoblauch

Jason Grimsley

Greg Zaun

David Justice

F.P. Santangello

Glenallen Hill

Mo Vaughn

Denny Neagle

Ron Villone

Ryan Franklin

Chris Donnels

Todd Williams

Phil Hiatt

Todd Pratt

Kevin Young

Mike Lansing

Cody Mckay

Kent Mercker

Andy Piatt

Miguel Tejada

Jason Christianson

Mike Stanton

Stephen Randolph

Jerry Hairston Jr.

Paul Lo Duca

Adam Riggs

Bart Miadich

Chad Allen

Fernando Vina

Kevin Brown

Eric Gagne

Mike Bell

Matt Herges

Gary Bennett Jr.

Jim Parque

Brandon Donnelly

Jeff Williams

Howie Clark

Nook Logan

Daniel Naulty

Rick Ankiel

Paul Byrd

Jay Gibbons

Troy Glaus

Jose Guillen

Gary Matthews, Jr.

Scott Schoeneweis

Jose Canseco

Jason Grimsley

Darren Holmes

John Rocker

Ismael Valdez

Matt Williams

Steve Woodard

David Bell

• Forum MVP

Part of that reason Stone, is that almost all of the "testimony" came from 2 people: one trainer from the Yankees and one clubhouse staffer from the Mets. If these many names come out from people on two teams, imagine what else is out there.

I don't condone cheating but seriously, how is it that baseball is being singled out when we all know that the NFL has some of the biggest monsters in pro sports? Many of the people playing Safety now are the size of defensive linemen from the 80s. Is it because we have a desire fore football players to be mean and nasty and try and break people in half every week? Seems more than a bit hypocritical to me.

Again, I am not a fan of cheating and it sends a disgusting message to the kids that look up to these athletes(as I'm sure many of us did when we were younger), but chemical enhancements have been a part of professional sports since forever. "Greenies" have been more common than Gatorade in MLB since at least the 60s. Football players used to do tons of cocaine to dull the pain and make them more agressive since at least the 70s. Basketball players smoke a lot of dope because......well because it makes you feel good :D

But I digress. If this is really such a big problem and the Government thinks that they should be involved(due in part to the perks these sports leagues get) then they should simply pull all of their Government backing and make the MLB, NFL and NBA deal with the same regulations that other corporations have to. Oh wait, that won't work either :o

Also, seeing as how Mitchell is on the Board for the Red Sox, there sure does seem to be a lot of Yankees, Orioles and Blue Jays mentioned. And a definite lack of Red Sox players. This report is BS and while it may be true, to disclose it without any real proof is going to seriously open themselves up to massive lawsuits. Wouldn't you agree, Arm?

• Forum MVP

The Mitchell Report isn't a full be all end all of who did what and so whoever is not mentioned is definitely not vindicated. Sen Mitchell had limited sources and limited information. They had BALCO in SF, they had the Radomski in New York as well as McNamee with the Yankees, and Bigbie in Baltimore. Clearly this is why the report is skewed to those teams. They didn't have any leaks in Chicago, Boston, Arizona, or half of MLB cities.

I agree with all of your points Bassman but this is all sad to me because one of the great things about baseball is the history and with that history comes the stats and this entire era of stats that we've grown up watching (you and I started watching around 80 I assume)--don't even tell me you remember rooting for the yanks in 77--can't be compared to any of the other eras because of the cloud of steroids. I mean...seeing Dystra on there should not have been surprising because he was other worldly in that philly world series but I know my heart suck when I saw his name. I believed what he was doing was something special and now it just seems much less special. Same for the whole game that we love.

• Forum MVP

Again, I am NOT in favor of steriod or other performance enhancers. But this whole thing in no way changes my opinion of the sport. I view this as no worse than the strikes that we have had to suffer through. The collusion charges in the 80s. The cocaine charges in the 80s. Etc, etc, etc.

Hey, I'm no saint and I don't claim to be. But I also do not expect professional athletes to be either. This is not a baseball thing. This is a professional sports thing and it is about one thing: Money. If we are going to continue to pay rediculous salaries to athletes, especially those straight out of high school or college, who haven't proven their worth yet, we are going to have these problems.

If all the allegations are to be believed(which i know they aren't, but) then I view the steriod scandal in baseball in a much better light than I do the referee scandal in the NBA. At least this was many players who were all trying to get a competitive edge. In the NBA, you had a referee who was affecting the outcome of games. That's not worse?? The NBA has marginal players making $20M per year (Marbury, etc, etc, etc).

I guess my point is that I don't know for certain that there wasn't widespread cheating going on before steriods anymore than I know that it won't continue to go on after the steriod era. It doesn't change the fact that baseball will continue to be my favorite sport. Would I prefer to have a level playing field? Shit yeah I would. But looking at the money that is involved with baseball......... I'm sure that corporations in other industries who make rediculous amounts of money never cut corners to make their products seem more attractive to their consumers. Does it make it right? Hardly, but I will still gladly pay my money to see my Yankees play. Not that it makes it right.

Archived