New Year's Eve, Keswick Theatre

Guest echo

Guest jamesr

I live close to the venue, so a waning crescent, at rest on it's back, watches me write this review. Really, just a few points that were highlights for me. Can't remember the whole setlist.

A fantastic venue with great sound and GREAT staff, smiling and wishing everyone a Happy New Year. You could go out on the sidewalk anytime with your ticketstub and come back in. Inside, everyone got a party favor and was in a great mood. No pushing or shoving, just tons of dancing madness.

The band came on as 'Terrapin Nation' and did a few numbers. 'Easy to Slip' is one of the few Weir solo tunes that I like. How about these lyrics:

It's so easy to slip

It's so easy to fall

And let your memory drift

And do nothing at all

All the love that you missed

All the people that you can't recall

Do they really exist

At all?

The whole world seems so cold today

And all the magic's gone away

And our time together melts away

Then I really enjoyed 'It Stoned Me' by Van Morrison. Also loved the 'She Belongs to Me'. That was played so beautifully by John. His girlfriend was in the pit area dancing all night and having a blast, it appeared.

The 'real band' came on and played Another great 'Unbroken Chain'.

Lilac rain, unbroken chain

Song of the Saw-Whet owl

Out on the mountain it'll drive you insane

Listening to the winds howl

Unbroken chain of sorrow and pearls

Unbroken chain of sky and sea

Unbroken chain of the western wind

Unbroken chain of you and me

Then the best Lazy Lightning and 'After Midnight' I've ever heard. I also loved the Shakedown, Dancin', and the Alligator.

Then, a truly heartfelt Weather Report and a huge Let it Grow. What a stomp. People were dancing their heads off (whoa, watch out for that head).

I think I'm missing a whole set in there somewhere.

I'll miss everyone, and probably won't see this band for a long time. The memories are real sharp, though.

Wishing all a good night and a prosperous new year!

Love

Jamesr

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest crazy digits

show was magical in many ways :wub: thank you to the keswick..would love to see dso in that room for multiple nights! went up with my sis, bro in law, laura, wayne, sonja, phil, rob and john..so much fun tonight...3rd set was > after midnight> dancin' shakedown>alligator>d>s>weather report suite> let it grow>?? allman bros jam? > alligator encore bros and sis.....really favored the third set...almost sounded like they were in slipknot a little during the after midnight jam (sick)...

I love this band and what they continue to pour out night in and night out. happy new years folks as 08' should be better in many ways...peace and love

• Forum MVP

In the shakedown there was a with you without you jam which was a beatle song,I'm not sure what album its from but john was really playing that for alittle bit.really spacey.Can't say enough about this gig.It was really a treat.God bless----- Steve

• Forum MVP

really awesome third set. the first two sets were all confusion for me...the third was simply amazing. one of my favorite drums>space ever. not really of fan of the venue, esp standing on that that damn slope. happy new year to all.

Well Steve and Me, ( I'm just typing) will try and give the set list, here goes, order uncertain:

Terrapin Nation:

Cripple Creek

Givin Me The Business

I Am The Walrus

Ophelia

Missippi Queen

It's So Easy To Slip

Nobody Told Me There'd Be Days Like These

Ohio

Tangled Up In Blue

Dark Star Orchestra:

Feel Like A Stanger

Stoned Me

Memphis Blues

Dire Wolf

Beat It Down The Line ( 52 million beat)

Easy Wind

She Belongs To Me

Lazy Lightening/Supplication

China/Rider

After Midnight (Slipknot Jam)

Dancin

Shakedown (Within You Without You Jam)

Alligator

Drums

Space

Weather Report

Let It Grow

Alligator (Alligtor Jam)

Brothers and Sisters

Pretty Cool huh? Couldn't believe the Missippi Queen, ( Where was Queen Steve?). Terrapin Nation rocked, love that band. They could warm up for DSO anytime. China/Rider had me out in the hallway dancin, great venue. Third set was stupendous, my ears are still ringin from being in front of Kevin.

Only regrets is that it is over for this year and it will be a while before I see DSO again.

Bad scene out front after the show with the cops. They nabbed a young woman and man. Threw them on the ground, pounded them hard and threw them in the van. Very unsettling. Someone said it was the same guy that was ousted from Red Bank the night before.

Ride back to the hotel was priceless. Disco boogy, couldn't stop dancin.

Happy New Year Love and Peace, Kris

Guest darbysdad

Well

We Are Home And Still Shakin With That Energy That DSO Brought Last Nite In A Bigtime Way

I Have Some Scrambled Notes With A Lot Of Stars Next To Them-So ...Here Goes...Highlites.. Freaking Ophelia,Misssissippi Queen,Long Sought After Tangled,Mind Bending Stranger,Memphis Blues Really Started The Juices Flowing,Just Awesome Easy Wind..Kinda Got Lost In That One And Then Oh MyThe Supplication

Oh Yeah The Floor Was Crooked,Too...And Then After Midnite Bombed In To Make The Frenzy Complete

Followed By A Thunderous Shakedown

Staff Was Super Friendly

Sound Was Huge Great Job There

Not A Fan Of Those Freaking Seat Venues,But The Music Took Over And...Well,It Just Didn't Matter After That

Big Props To My Bro,Aaron,Who Once Again Swept Us From The Jaws Of" Lost At The keswick"

Ron,Kyle,Bix,Mike (Hope You Got Your Ride) Matt, Happy New Year To You All

We Were Blessed Last Night,Folks,Truely Blessed

• Forum MVP

I'll try and clean this list up a bit according to my memory.. this should be very close to the actual order --

Terrapin Nation -

Cripple Creek

The Business

Easy to Slip

Ophelia

Mississippi Queen

Walrus

Strange Days

Ohio

Tangled Up

DSO 1st -

Stranger

And It Stoned Me

BIODTL

Dire Wolf

Easy Wind

Memphis Blues

She Belongs to Me

Lazy Lightning>Supplication

Unbroken Chain

China>Rider

DSO 2nd -

After Midnite>

Dancin>

Shakedown>

Alligator>

Drumz>

WRS>

Let It Grow>

Alligator

E: Sisters & Brothers

Fantastic time, fantastic people, fantastic energy.. Just an amazing time with amazing people dancing to amazing music performed by an amazing band. incredible.

So cool meeting Dr. Barry and DStone, awesome people.

Fun from start to end and will be difficult to state highlights as the entire show was truly legendary.

thank you Tiff, Three Steves (jersey (&yurida), nwjersey, ny), Kris, Barry, David, Gary, Connie, (obv. vince325) for the memory!

Thank you DSO...for a Really Really GOOD time~!~!

Peace and Happy New Year to everyone

• Forum MVP

the order, like it really matters, i remember was

stranger

stoned me

BIOTDL with beats for how old Lisa was (35?)

Dire Wolf

Easy Wind

Mobile

She belongs to me

Lazy Lightning

supp

Chain>

China>

Rider

Highlights for me were a socrching After Midnight, Dancin>Shakedown and a fantastic Grow.

Great meeting Dancin, two of the Steves, Help, Vince and some others.

Great theater but it could use new seats.

Very fun 3 pack for me and my bro--Thanks again for the NYE tics Thinman!

Have a great cruise for all who are going.

Back to SF and buying my first Mountain album.

Fun time....cool venue,but not adequately prepared vending wise.....long lines to get a beer/drink/champagne and they shut it down early

sound was stellar

location of the venue was a bummer......hard to get a cab afterwards.....

my 2nd new years show with DSO and a bit of a disappointment again....of course they are professionals and played their hearts out, but a little too loose and fancy free for my taste.....I knew they would play an elective show on New Years as they always do, but I didnt particularly care for the flow or song selection....of course you cant always please everyone and I understand that....that said there were definite highlights....China>Rider to end the 1st set......Dancin', Alligator, Let It Grow were all stellar...liked the mountain jam tease as well.....most of the 1st set was underwhelming....the back to back Dylan was boring and uninspired.....actually until China>Rider I thought all of JK's selections were weak.....Stranger was great, but the set never really took off.....NYE countdown was poorly timed and anti-climactic......rushed back into Alligator after Let it grow...may have been a time issue, but I think even the band was surprised when the drummers kicked into it......where was the slow song??

I have seen this band 50+ times and I know what they are capable of.....I had a good time with friends and I am glad I went, but definitely not their best.....sounds like I made a big mistake skipping Rams Head.....doh.....

LOL... Weather Report.. least favorite songs... (how do you feel about that Weather Report?)

Thanks for guys like this, DSO will continue to play smaller venues with the right crowd. Just shows how randoms are always looking for a good time on NYE. Better luck next year buddy...

His presentation shows a lack of critical thinking.....However I dont see the need for this or any other thread to be overly combative....We all have opinions......not one more important than the other....imo :D

• Advisory Board

:rofl:

Funniest shit I've heard all day!

What a disappointment last night's show at the Keswick turned out to be! I came to see a dead tribute show and listened to DSO play covers of other bands. How much Dylan, The band, Clapton, Allman Brothers, etc., do we need at a dead show?

Part of the fun at DSO concert is trying to guess what Dead show is DSO playing? Last night I'm pretty sure they didn't cover any show that the Dead ever played. Here's my review of last night's show. Long tuning between songs, crappy song selections, the worst Space jam ever. Many people left the show during Space. I was hoping DSO would pull something good out after Space only to be disappointed again with their song selection as they played "Weather Report" one of my least favorite Dead songs. I'm not the only person who felt this way. Proof of this came as I had to wake a guy up from his deep sleep at the end of our row so we could leave early.

Sorry DSO you are the best Dead tribute band in the world, but I don't want to waste my time or money at another one of your shows. Listening to you play set's that are mixed up, opening the show as a cover band covering other bands besides the Dead is not what makes you great and is not what a loyal fan base expects to hear.

FYI - The count down to New Years Eve was reflective of the show. The bands manager was rambling on stage, looked at his watch and said "It's now midnight" You would think there would have been a count down or something special.

His presentation shows a lack of critical thinking.....However I dont see the need for this or any other thread to be overly combative....We all have opinions......not one more important than the other....imo :D

See, here's the deal.... Instead of being appreciative of getting to go to the NYE show, a final celebration of what has been a historic year for DSO, some folks feel comfortable simply throwing stones. The guy above showed up on NYE to see a Dead tribute show? You thought the band "could have done a better job with the elective format"?

How about a New Years resolution to get a grip.

See, here's the deal.... Instead of being appreciative of getting to go to the NYE show, a final celebration of what has been a historic year for DSO, some folks feel comfortable simply throwing stones. The guy above showed up on NYE to see a Dead tribute show? You thought the band "could have done a better job with the elective format"?

How about a New Years resolution to get a grip.

Not everyone sees things in your context......we are all approaching shows with different mindsets......I think the perspective you bring with you is a good one, but not everyone has it......

Guest blondy

I was a little apprehensive at first. I was at the Ram's Head Saturday night (great dancing place) and soon realized that dancing would be a challenge. I should have known that there is no keeping DSO fans in their seats. I really don't like the assigned seating venues but once the band starts all challenges are voided by the music. Being a "liitle older" then most DSO fans, I had a nostaglic appreciation of the venue. The staff were a little overwelmed by the "look" of the croud I think, but by the end of the night they realized we were all there to enjoy the same experience they do.. " the music".

To Aaron & Stein - You are family and thank you for chauffeuring us

To Chuckie Vegas - Sorry to hear you won't be joining us on Jamcruise - your twirling will be missed

Herdy - We'll see you on the boat and buy you a drink

To all Other DSO fans - We all have a common thread and I'm proud to be part of this tapestry

My wish for 2008 - world peace, no hunger, love for all

Sue & I had a great (as usual) time. TN set from 2nd row (without a hassle) was stellar. Seeing some of those tunes made me think just what it would have been like to see the Dead doing those choices. Walrus, Mississippi Queen, OHIO, Strange Days, Ophelia, absolutely awesome. Got moved around a bit by security, but made the way back down for 3rd set. The band was right on, all night. I love originals! There's actually more "mystery" to the tune selection. The great people we get to see are the icing on the cake. We can't wait (already) to see you all again. February is right around the corner!!

Peace & Love

Vince & Sue

Happy New Year!

• Advisory Board

Well, I just got back home and what can I say? I had a great time over the last 2 nites and so thankful that I made the last second trip to Red Bank and the Keswick, What great shows, what great people!

First off many thanks to Chuckvegas who orchestrated my participation, I had no worries and I owe you big time. Next is Bix who I met for the first time. Without you brother I might just have been stuck at the airport (not might, would have been!) and I'm glad to have been the push that brought you to Red Bank! The Chinacats, especially Lisa - hospitality supreme and very, very appreciated! Of course it was very nice to see and hang with so many others, Herdy, Prescott, and many more that I havent't seen in over a year!

I met so many friends that I have "known" but never "met" before. It's funny but so true that the Forums has become a very special place for all of us here. My cloudy memory recalls meeting NY Steve (great hanging near the stage - you are TALL!), NJ Steve, Susan Angelina, Long Distance Runner, August West, Dancin' on a Pin, Shade o Grey, and Help Slip (very impressed with you young man! You and your generation are carrying a torch, doing it with style and make me very proud...). Many others too but my memory is too foggy and it is in the teens and frigid here in Chicago and I can't type, need to get into my warm bed! It was a PLEASURE and I felt great putting faces to names and it felt like I've known you all for a long, long time!

The shows were great in every way. It always makes me laugh when I read the critics. I agree with everyone's right to an opinion and I'm not belittling anyone's, but it does make me laugh...

I must also thank my friend Cam, you made me feel right at home, THANK YOU. Koritz, I could barely stand for the second set at the Red Bank, and I think you look great too. Rob Barraco, you are a gentleman, a pleasure to finally meet you in the flesh and an incredibly humble guy too. Bryan, the light show was FANTASTIC. You are a total professional. Lisa - Happy Birthday, when you sing you are the leader of the band!

Highlights I recall include the drums at the Red Bank. That was not drums, it was a song, and it was amazing. The "Within You, Without You" jam in Shakedown at the Keswick just made me shiver. The second half of Alligator was a long sustained peak that words just can't really capture. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that must be what a multiple orgasm feels like??? The TN set was killer. Loved the Ohio, and I am the Walrus. The organ during Unbroken Chain made me feel like I was at the Carousel Ballroom in the late 60's (I know I am mixing metaphors here, I am referring to the style and sound - so sweet). There was much to love at these last 2 shows of the year, and I loved it ALL. What a sweet way to get reintroduced to my favorite band and favorite music after a years hiatus!

Thank you band, thank you crew, thank you friends, see you next time (and again I know I am probably making many critical omissions here, foggy memory).

Happy New Year, let's MAKE 2008 a happy, safe, and great year for everybody!

Dr. Barry B)

I loved the show and enjoyed the very eclectic setlist!!! The venue was great....good sound, lots of dancing space and not stifling hot either! I loved the Stoned Me....followed by the little flub on BIODTL- I don't feel so bad laughing when the band is laughing too :D

What was not so much fun was the experience after the show- waiting 1 1/2 hours to get a ride back....I had never experienced hypothermia before but I think I came very close last night....still had a chill in my bones this morning. I guess I will know better next time!

Good to see everyone this little run! Until next time!

xoxo,

Lisa

Archived