New Year's Eve, Keswick Theatre

Guest echo

• Forum MVP
Well, I just got back home and what can I say? I had a great time over the last 2 nites and so thankful that I made the last second trip to Red Bank and the Keswick, What great shows, what great people!

First off many thanks to Chuckvegas who orchestrated my participation, I had no worries and I owe you big time. Next is Bix who I met for the first time. Without you brother I might just have been stuck at the airport (not might, would have been!) and I'm glad to have been the push that brought you to Red Bank! The Chinacats, especially Lisa - hospitality supreme and very, very appreciated! Of course it was very nice to see and hang with so many others, Herdy, Prescott, and many more that I havent't seen in over a year!

I met so many friends that I have "known" but never "met" before. It's funny but so true that the Forums has become a very special place for all of us here. My cloudy memory recalls meeting NY Steve (great hanging near the stage - you are TALL!), NJ Steve, Susan Angelina, Long Distance Runner, August West, Dancin' on a Pin, Shade o Grey, and Help Slip (very impressed with you young man! You and your generation are carrying a torch, doing it with style and make me very proud...). Many others too but my memory is too foggy and it is in the teens and frigid here in Chicago and I can't type, need to get into my warm bed! It was a PLEASURE and I felt great putting faces to names and it felt like I've known you all for a long, long time!

The shows were great in every way. It always makes me laugh when I read the critics. I agree with everyone's right to an opinion and I'm not belittling anyone's, but it does make me laugh...

I must also thank my friend Cam, you made me feel right at home, THANK YOU. Koritz, I could barely stand for the second set at the Red Bank, and I think you look great too. Rob Barraco, you are a gentleman, a pleasure to finally meet you in the flesh and an incredibly humble guy too. Bryan, the light show was FANTASTIC. You are a total professional. Lisa - Happy Birthday, when you sing you are the leader of the band!

Highlights I recall include the drums at the Red Bank. That was not drums, it was a song, and it was amazing. The "Within You, Without You" jam in Shakedown at the Keswick just made me shiver. The second half of Alligator was a long sustained peak that words just can't really capture. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that must be what a multiple orgasm feels like??? The TN set was killer. Loved the Ohio, and I am the Walrus. The organ during Unbroken Chain made me feel like I was at the Carousel Ballroom in the late 60's (I know I am mixing metaphors here, I am referring to the style and sound - so sweet). There was much to love at these last 2 shows of the year, and I loved it ALL. What a sweet way to get reintroduced to my favorite band and favorite music after a years hiatus!

Thank you band, thank you crew, thank you friends, see you next time (and again I know I am probably making many critical omissions here, foggy memory).

Happy New Year, let's MAKE 2008 a happy, safe, and great year for everybody!

Dr. Barry B)

DR. Barry,wonderful to meet you, sorry I got distracted by the negativity, see you in your home turf in a month!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Advisory Board

So The Keswick....

On the good side, I thought the theatre was beautiful, and the staff for the most part very friendly.. I could see the look of concern on their faces as the night started, but as it wore on, the looks subsided. The sound was fantastic, as was the entire show from the BIODTL fuck up, to the lights, to just about everything!

Now on the not so good side... First off, the fuckin' beer lines... for those who like to drink, this is NOT the place to be! The venue is not set up for us at all, trying to get outside to catch a smoke was almost as bad as waiting in the beer line for 30 minutes. The bathroom lines were HORRIBLE, and the seats would not stay up, so dancing in yoru seat was not comfortable and hardly practical. The venue is in a "blackhole" of Philly where apparently no cab service runs, and there are no hotel's in walking distance.

I had fun last night, but I sure hope that DSO doesn't do any 2 night runs there, or another NYE there for that matter...

• Forum MVP

Well, I'm fortunate to have not been affected by any of the critical points made regarding the Keswick. Didn't buy any beer and the rather lengthy bathroom line moved quite quickly for me. Meeting some cool folks in line made the experience even more painless.

I LOVED the acoustics and the sound at the Keswick. Kevin's bass sound was shaking my innards......just the way I like it :) The sound was crisp and beautifully balanced. My limited exposure to the Keswick staff was very friendly. Fortunately my chair stayed in the back position so dancing my ass off was never a concern.

TN was a load of fun. MS Queen.......loved it. DSO hilights were many. After Midnight was transporting and dripping with psychedelia. Alligator reprise was just plain nasty.......loved it.

Greyhead, good to meet you. Thanks again for posting on my behalf.

peace, reid.

• Forum MVP

Thank god the Chinese restaurant two doors down was owned by a really nice family who let me come in to use their bathroom, because those lines were a little out of control. I was also appreciative of the bar across the street who had some of the best tasting beer I've ever had, and they didn't mind me coming in to down them kind of fast--the brother and sister who owned the bar were really pretty cool.

I had a dream last night that they came out for the encore and did a Train to cry>Sing Me Back home>Lovelight>Baby Blue.

When you start dreaming about DSO, you know they are doing something right...

• Forum MVP
Alligator reprise was just plain nasty.......loved it.

Perfect description...not sure if that's what the boys do an the album but it was absolutely filthy.

Part of the fun at DSO concert is trying to guess what Dead show is DSO playing? Last night I’m pretty sure they didn’t cover any show that the Dead ever played.

I could of sworn there was a show with Sisters and Brothers and Alligator somewhere.

• Forum MVP

[

They could play anything they want & it would be reel good. The dead did more covers then any other band in the history of rock & roll , What would they be doing if they were still around? I thought it was great seeing & hearing sounds I never seen them do before . The after midnite wasssss killer .Great people ,Great vibes, loves you all ------Steve

Ron,Kyle,Bix,Mike (Hope You Got Your Ride) Matt, Happy New Year To You All

Yeah we finally got one... me Chuck, Lisa, the Biscos and Dr Barry closed the place down... (YOU GUYS ARE TROOPERS!!) and saw many many interesting things while we waited!! People loosing their minds... etc...

Oh and if anyone is interested the guy who was cuffed and brutally stuffed right in front of the theater was released later... thats right, cop car rolled up to the front of the venue about an hour after the show was over... cop got out and opened the back door like a chauffeur and out steps the dude!! In a state of amazement (or somethin') he tells us his amazing story. And to top it all off he says he captured the entire incident on video on his cell phone, which the cops had smashed into pieces to try and destroy the tape... he was already scheming to get the video off the memory card.

Oh, and Kimberly... the chick who abandoned us... I don't know what happened to you, I guess I hope you are physically OK... but damn girl, you got some nerve to be as friendly as you were and then screw us like that... I dunno, but somethin' tells me Karma is gonna git ya!!!

Despite some late night logistical problems... I had a great time... Happy New Year Everybody!!! Lookin' forward to MANY great shows in 2008!!! :D

oh bitch bitch .. whine whine... <_< So you didn't get to hear exactly what you wanted. There is an easy resolve.. Go to more shows, it will improve your odds! :lol:

And hey, if you want a "proper" new years count down, stay at home and watch Dick Clark. But I doubt he's gonna give you a BIODTL with 30 some beats lol ;)

Whatever... I though the shows were great!

The music was great every night, some really really high points, and yes some "in between" but overall.. What an amazing run! I thought the Rams head show in Baltimore was the best show, ( I got my estimated .. woomotherfuckinghoo!) but I'm a sucker for 77 shows. B)

Great music, great crowd, excellent sound, fun crazy psychedelic lights, good dancing space in all of the theater shows. I got to see most of my favorite DSO family, and met some wonderful new folks too.

It was nice taking a break from reality for a few days, seeing some good music, and hanging out with all of you. I drove home from Philly last night, and I still l have not slept yet! haha! Thank my lucky stars I don't have to teach any classes today... I don't think I'm capable of addition at this point.. much less physics..

Lotsa love

~Sage

Whichever way your pleasure tends!

So The Keswick....

"The bathroom lines were HORRIBLE"

Just wondering if anyone else saw the guy that did not properly use the urinal... Apparantly, he was so fried that he thought he was using the toilet but nope.. It was the urinal... Good ole # 2 right there in front of everyone...

Other than that, I hate complainers... There was no reason to complain about DSO.... And yes, everyone is allowed to express opinions but really, this is the place for positive vibes!!!

Just wondering if anyone else saw the guy that did not properly use the urinal... Apparantly, he was so fried that he thought he was using the toilet but nope.. It was the urinal... Good ole # 2 right there in front of everyone...

Other than that, I hate complainers... There was no reason to complain about DSO.... And yes, everyone is allowed to express opinions but really, this is the place for positive vibes!!!

I thought this was a place to review shows. If every review is simply how awesome the show was and how everyone had such a great time, then how is this forum helpful to people who did not attend or even to those who did?

I love DSO and try to see them as often as I can. However, in that framework, I certainly have preferences....I like some shows better than others....like some venues better than others.......Have opinions about electives versus actual shows, etc....I do not expect DSO to cater to me or anyone else for that matter....I almost always have fun, and there are always highlights....This is not a band that punts shows....they play hard every night......I thought this was the appropriate place to express opinions on these matters...didnt mean to piss in anyone's Cheerios....I dont browse or post here that often, so I suppose I stepped on the toes of those who are a more integral part of the community.....Outside of meeting a couple band members briefly simply based on their accessibility, I am not friends with anyone in the band or affiliated with the band. I simply love the music of the Grateful Dead and clearly DSO delivers that music the best outside of the original band. I come away from shows with opinions, and so do most of my friends. I think it is healthy....not negative

• Forum MVP
I come away from shows with opinions, and so do most of my friends. I think it is healthy....not negative

Agreed. And I don't think the reviews just have to be positive---that's a land with rainbows and waterfalls that's probably a nice place but it's not reality.

You may not like Stoned Me, Dire Wolf and She belongs to Me and there is nothing wrong with that because no one knows what makes us like one song versus another. You should definitely be allowed to have your opinion and I don't think anyone on here thinks otherwise.

You may not like Stoned Me, Dire Wolf and She belongs to Me

I actually love all 3 songs....I just didnt find the versions of these songs performed on 12/31 to be compelling....Of course it could have been my mindset...perhaps if/when I listen back to the show I will wonder wtf was I thinking :lol:

• Forum MVP
I actually love all 3 songs....I just didnt find the versions of these songs performed on 12/31 to be compelling....

Well you said that you thought all of John's selections in the first set other than China>Rider were weak which implies you didn't care for the songs (he selected). So you were not being very clear there.

Well you said that you thought all of John's selections in the first set other than China>Rider were weak which implies you didn't care for the songs (he selected). So you were not being very clear there.

Perhaps I wasnt clear.....It was the song selections and the timing and the performances......after Stranger I thought the set lost momentum..just one man's opinion......I am sure DSO is sick of some of the same songs that I want to hear.....it is all a matter of perspective...

Guest DSO No-mo

Not meaning to touch off a huge debate or start a negative vibe in a fan-based site let me explain why I was disappointed with the NYE show. First let me say I never trashed DSO as a band or their incredible musical ability, but I did state I was disappointed with the show. That

• Forum MVP
My question is how can someone be sure if they will hear a deadset at the DSO show? Are there any constructive comments out there? This would be a good time to get the positive vibe back.

there is no sure way of knowing. your best bet would be to check out the previous night's setlists and what was played at that venue in the past. you can usually get a descent idea of what they might play, or at least what they wont play. of course you never know when they are going to throw a curveball at you.

as far as preference for original setlists vs> recreations...its been discussed before. i started off liking recreations more, now I far prefer originals. it just makes sense to me. the dead never planned setlists so I don't see why dso should either. this isn't to say that I don't greatly enjoy recreation shows. the other night at the ram's head is easily one of the top 5 five shows i've ever seen performed....and i'd even say that 77 shows are my least favorite to see dso play. I suppose its all about the experience you have.

can't wait for the ledges.

Guest rowjimmy
Maybe after this clarification some DSO fans closer to the band can help me from repeating my negative experience and help me see DSO perform on nights that the bands premise was founded. Here are some quotes directly from DSO.net that is essentially the band's press release and their premise as to what they do as a band. You can find it by clicking on

I thought this was a place to review shows. If every review is simply how awesome the show was and how everyone had such a great time, then how is this forum helpful to people who did not attend or even to those who did?

I love DSO and try to see them as often as I can. However, in that framework, I certainly have preferences....I like some shows better than others....like some venues better than others.......Have opinions about electives versus actual shows, etc....I do not expect DSO to cater to me or anyone else for that matter....I almost always have fun, and there are always highlights....This is not a band that punts shows....they play hard every night......I thought this was the appropriate place to express opinions on these matters...didnt mean to piss in anyone's Cheerios....I dont browse or post here that often, so I suppose I stepped on the toes of those who are a more integral part of the community.....Outside of meeting a couple band members briefly simply based on their accessibility, I am not friends with anyone in the band or affiliated with the band. I simply love the music of the Grateful Dead and clearly DSO delivers that music the best outside of the original band. I come away from shows with opinions, and so do most of my friends. I think it is healthy....not negative

Welcome to the Community.. Better to piss in cheerios than crap in the urinal...

• Forum MVP

It has been said before: de gustibus non est disputandum. The world would probably be a more peaceful place if we all existed in a mutual admiration society, but fortunately such is not the case. Discussion and at least somewhat constructive criticism does foster growth and maturation. And the tenor of this discourse on the merits of DSO and our scene is certainly a whole lot more civil than others in the recent and more distant past. ;)

Also noted previously is the fact that original, a/k/a elective, setlists are something of an acquired taste within the DSO world. And Terrapin Nation broadens the musical horizons even more. They are now pretty much what I live for, but then I've been told more than once to get a life, so whadda I know? I do agree that the "mission statement" probably could be updated.

Aaron and Rowjimmy have given some good practical advise. Namaste...

• Forum MVP
They are a tribute band by all definitions of a tribute band and therefore I was expecting to hear more Dead songs. Based on what was billed from the venues that promote them and their own premise on their website I was expecting the show to be an entire show from the Dead. If this were not the case, I would have liked to known so I could have spent NYE doing something else.

I think usually it is known beforehand when Terrapin Nation is performing but it wasn't the case here. It's not like I can't understand the point you are trying to make but I think it's a little strange you would make other plans for NYE because they were going to do two sets of DSO instead of 3. I get how you would have rather seen 3 sets of Dead but I don't get being disappointed you were there to celebrate NYE because you got 2 sets of Dead. More importantly, you should definitely NOT go to another NYE DSO show and that way you'll have pretty good odds you will only see DSO play the Dead. And you'll get to toast people with a glass of something during the countdown at New Years and have a ripping good time.

if we are bitching......

I want to complain about the CIGARETTE SMOKE at the Ram's Head

which I understand maybe next time won't be a factor as Baltimore outlawed indoor smoking as of Jan 1

I am also have a huge compliant against the seated venues

they are pretty and sound good but I go to dance and hate dealing with seats and SLANTED floors which kill my hips and knees and lower back

I always come away battered, black and blue from whacking myself on the seats

I understand some people like to sit but it seems the majority want to dance

Finally, there are always the TALKERS

at Rams Head during Peggy O - I had one group of guys in my right ear arguing about football and in the left ear another group of guys bitching loudly about their girlfriends when the bar was less than 10 feet away

but no they had to yak all through a beautiful song I was trying to listen to

Beer and bathroom lines are inherent to older venues so I expect that everywhere and am pleasantly surprised when it is not that bad

as far as bitching about the song selection or original versus elective setlists

when I toured with the Dead, it was often a given you would have to go to at least 3-4 shows sometimes more to get a that one really good one. That was always the trade-off and everyone knew it

The fact that DSO can consistently deliver above par shows night after night is what gets me on a plane to wherever. It is the only sure fire "I AM GONNA DANCE" opportunity out there for now and I am emmensely grateful for it. The Dead were never nearly as reliable as DSO.

thats my two cents

Ellen

• Forum MVP

If I was going to see DSO play only dead tunes then I would never hear them play these covers:

ain"t no lie

All around this world

All over now

around & around

Baby blue

Big river

Big railroad blues

biodtl

bobby mcgee

broken arrow

c.c.rider

cold rain&snow

dancin

dark hollow

death don't have no mercy

don't ease me in

deep elm

el paso

gdtrfb

gimme some lovin

gloria

good lovin

heavin's door

hey bo diddley

hey pocky way

I know you rider

iftl

iko iko

johnny be goode

last time

let it rock

lovelight

ltgtr

lucy in the sky

maggie's farm

moma tried

masterpiece

me and my uncle

memphis blues

midnight hour

mighty quinn

minglewood

monkey and the engineer

morning dew

mr. fantasy

nfa

on the road again

peggy -o

promised land

queen jane

race is on

revolution

rooster

same thing

samson

satisfaction

school girl

she belongs to me

silver threads

sing me back home

smokestack

spoonful

top of the world

train to cry

viola lee blues

visions of johanna

walking blues

wang dang doodle

watchtower

we bid you goodnight

werewolves

who do you love

I would be selling myself short. Covers make the world go round and around.

Peace, Steve

PS: I've got blisters on my fingers

Guest Rob Eaton

Let me chime here and try to explain what happens behind the scenes. In true Dead fashion we try not to repeat songs on a daily basis and to go furthur then that (like this) not repeat any songs over the four show New Years run. Here's a list of the songs we did PRIOR to New Years Eve:

Hell in a Bucket

Bertha

We Can Run

Jack a Roe

Picasso Moon

Browneyed Women

All Over Now

Deal

Box of Rain

Foolish Heart

Playin in the Band

Eyes of the World

China Doll

Gimmi Some Lovin

Goin down the Road Feeling Bad

Around & Around

Brokledown Palace

Stir it Up

Liberty

Minglewood Blues

Loser

El Paso

Ramble on Rose

Estimated Prophet

Fenario

Good Lovin

Mississippi Halfstep

Music Never Stopped

Scarlet Begonias

Samson & Delilah

St Stephen

Not Fade Away

Terrapin Station

Morning Dew

Sugar Magnolia

Johnny B Goode

They Love Each other

Jack Straw

Second That Emotion

Ripple

Cold Rain & Snow

On The Road Again

Lazy River Road

Passenger

Run for the Roses

Me & My Uncle

Mexicali Blues

Candyman

Greatest Story

Strange Man

Midnight Moonlight

Truckin

Uncle Johns Band

Lost Sailor

St of Circumstance

Dark Star

Fire on the Mountain

I Need a Miracle

Cosmic Charlie

Touch of Grey

Let it Rock

We Bid You Goodnight

I'm not sure what songs folks wish they had heard but I'm sure many are on this list above. We understand people tend to see more then one show on a run and like the Dead we chose not to repeat songs. It's hard for us to value what's good and bad to people. We love all the songs! I'm sorry some of you didn't get what you wanted to hear (I've had that same feeling walking out of many of the 400 Dead shows I saw). There is no right or wrong answer. For instance some folks Love Weather Report Suite and some don't. I love it so that's why I played it. John played "It Stoned Me" and I was so glad he did..... Love that song. New Years eve is a celebration for all of us and if it's not moving for us then we are losing the battle already! Now let me talk about Terrapin Nation: We had two choices 1) hire an opening band to perform before our two set's or we could have our other band (Terrapin Nation) open for us (which meant us playing three set's). I tried many times to make clear that we were NOT Dark Star while on stage with Terrapin Nation but I guess I didn't do a good enough job. I'll try better next time. All in all our two set's of DSO had two songs the Dead never played (garcia bands only) one was Stoned me in the first set and the other was Brother & Sisters as the encore. As far as the count down goes what can I say we asked our sound man to do it and it wasn't smooth, we're stoners. For us it's about the music not about balloon drops or special talking from the stage or props. We play music and the don't do well with the rest. Again so sorry to dissapoint some of you we truly tried to have fun and play our hearts out. I've always said this and I'll say it again. "If what we do is only good if there is a date attached to it then I'm really in the wrong profession"!

Peace

Rob Eaton

PS> These are my personal feeling and I don't speak for the rest of the band members or crew or management!!

Archived