Any Reviews from the Jam Cruise yet?

Guest Charles from Oregon

Guest crazy digits
Hey now -

DSO rocked it.

On JamCruise I'm what's known as a "Repeat Offender." I've been on JamCruise since the the very beginning. It's very rare for me to catch BOTH of a band's shows in their entirety. As some of y'all have come to learn, there's just too much music goin down on that boat!

Anyway - LOVED the theater show. LOVED the pool deck set. And yes - Lisa Mackey singing on Creepy Alligators - no matter what Steinberg says (Jambands columnist aka zzyzx) says was cool! He actually leaned over to me while it was going on and said, "this just isn't right." And I looked at him and said, "Dude!!! It's freakin awesome! ROLL WITH IT!!!"

Someone mentioned DSO sit-ins. One that was not mentioned was a DSO member sitting in for Scarecrow's set. Scarecrow is the current bass player in New Riders of the Purple Sage. He was on board this year as a worker and a player. He was the guy responsible for keeping an eye on the disco and driving Warren Haynes to the airport when he departed mid-cruise. But he also got two sets. I missed the first but the second set had Rob Koritz sitting in on percussion. George Porter joined them on stage for a couple tunes also.

And I don't think anyone mentioned Dino English playing bass in the Jam Room. Yeah, I saw ya! ;) The Jam Room had not quite taken flight for the evening yet and some musicians were in there just messing around.

I said it on the JC board and I'll say it over here too - Kimock kinda ruined Lovelight for me on the pool deck. He turned up louder than the voice of god and relegated Sharon Jones and Colonel Bruce Hampton - whose vocals I was interested to hear - to the background. When it became clear that Kimock was never going to stop his endless noodling and let some more vox happen, SJ and Col Bruce just left the stage. That tune couldn't have ended quick enough for me.

Someone on the boat described Kadlecik and Kimock's interaction in the Jam Room as "The Battle of the Opposing Jerrys." Yeah - that about summed it up. They never seemed to actually mesh and find any kind of groove. And because I'm biased and opinionated I'll just continue to place that blame entirely on Kimock. I have a total love/hate thing going with him.

I also got a chance to watch Lisa Mackey participate in the "Women in Jam" workshop. This was basically a round-table discussion with all of the booked female artists on board plus Tonya Shylock from Mountain of Venus and a few female production staff. And though I didn't hear her speak, I personally know a columnist from the New Orleans Picayune who was sitting next to Grace Potter for the whole time. Lisa Mackey shared some of her thoughts on music and its healing properties for her. She's apparently very in to the whole native american spiritual medicine music thing. Anyway - there were fewer than 10 cruisers in attendance for this thing and it was interesting.... even though it did for a while become the "Sharon Jones Story Hour." I can tell y'all this though.... The only artist in that circle who had me COMPLETELY agreeing with EVERYTHING she said was Grace Potter. For a chick so young, she has her sh$t remarkably pulled together.

So in the wake of JC6, I think back on JamCruise 5 and watching the "Sounds of San Francisco Tribute" which was made up of members of ALO, Hot Buttered Rum, Zero, and Donna Jean Godchaux. The place was packed. Disco Biscuits were playing on the pool deck. I was hanging with one of the JC bigwigs who started the whole event and I said:

ME: "Hey, out of everything going on on the boat right now - tDB, Jam Room, etc, there are more people in here for this than any other show - period. Next year, we need DSO on the pool deck."

HIM: "Think bigger - The Dead on the pool deck."

ME: "No - even The Dead don't play the Grateful Dead like DSO plays the Grateful Dead."

HIM: "We'll see...."

Well "HIM" was standing right in front of me the entire DSO pool deck set and grooving his ass off. And you NEVER see him at a full show for the entire time. All I needed to do was slap him on the back once, smile and wink, and that made for one of the best "I told ya so" I ever got to deliver!

I hope DSO comes back. Although I did hear a NASTY rumor that ONE PARTICULAR BAND MEMBER DID NOT enjoy the cruise experience. I hope I heard that wrong....

Anyway - I hope to meet some of y'all on the boat one year. I'm usually pretty easy to find... Just look for any of the Florida FunknJam family. We're all over that boat and all know each other. And maybe I'll be in the big afro wig again.....

funkmeister.jpg

kat_me_kim.jpg

Peace, DSO Peeps!

D

WOW< GRATE review!! Thanks for a side we don't hear much. All of us are addicted to this band. You are right, the Dead cannot play the music the way WE want to hear it..plain and simple. DSO never takes a night off, ever! I, too, hope the band decides to go back as it was my first Jam Cruise and hopefully not my last...Thanks for your imput as it was a tasty read! Peace.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Advisory Board
Just want the record clear here.. I was NOT sick at all on the trip. Do I like boats? NO... Would I go again if I had to? YES.. Would I go just to go? NO.... That being said I did my best to enjoy the trip and did have fun. I went on a zip line tour through the jungle that finished on the beach in Rotan. Saw some music on the boat. Spent a lot of time at the many bars on board. Ate more then I should have. overall I did not complain, wimper, whine, get sick or anything so I guess the band member in question could not have been me.......

I surely didn't say it was you my friend....

Guest funknjam
WOW< GRATE review!! Thanks for a side we don't hear much. All of us are addicted to this band. You are right, the Dead cannot play the music the way WE want to hear it..plain and simple. DSO never takes a night off, ever! I, too, hope the band decides to go back as it was my first Jam Cruise and hopefully not my last...Thanks for your imput as it was a tasty read! Peace.

First, let me say what you all already know - that it's just fantastic that band members participate in discussions in this forum. That gets a big RIGHT ON from me.

Second, Weather Command, the post you started on the JamCruise forum has been VASTLY entertaining for me this morning. Over on that board I go by the name FunkMeister.....

http://jamcruise.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6931

Happy Sunday morning everyone. Time for side two of Joni Mitchell's Blue and a second cup of coffee....

D

Guest crazy digits
First, let me say what you all already know - that it's just fantastic that band members participate in discussions in this forum. That gets a big RIGHT ON from me.

Second, Weather Command, the post you started on the JamCruise forum has been VASTLY entertaining for me this morning. Over on that board I go by the name FunkMeister.....

http://jamcruise.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6931

Happy Sunday morning everyone. Time for side two of Joni Mitchell's Blue and a second cup of coffee....

D

yeah, it seems as though some of the folks need to go to another show or two. ;)

Archived