MORGANTOWN 2.19.08

Guest cheesusfreak

Guest cheesusfreak

11/20/85 (Wed) Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center - Oakland, CA

Set 1: Jack Straw > Peggy-O, CC Rider, Stagger Lee, My Brother Esau, High Time, Beat It On Down The Line > Promised Land > Don't Ease Me In

Set 2: Iko Iko > Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Terrapin Station > Don't Need Love > Drums > Stella Blue > Sugar Magnolia, E: U.S. Blues

Filler: Sing Your Blues Away (I think)

The energy level was very high from the get go. This was about as well as I've heard the band play. I give this one a 5 stars out of 5. I plan on writing a longer review tonight.

Don

WV

:dsorocks:

Guest Thunder
The energy level was very high from the get go. This was about as well as I've heard the band play. I give this one a 5 stars out of 5. I plan on writing a longer review tonight.

Whoa- sounds like a good excuse to burn your own couch!

Apparently that is the litmus test in Morgantown, celebrations are declared by ceremonial couch burnings. I love that town. You can't tell the heads from the normals cause everyone has long hair and a beard. It is understandable if you didn't burn you couch, but I would love to hear more about what happened in that wonderful town full of fine people.

Guest cheesusfreak

This was my 10th DSO show & my girlfriend's 4th. Right off the bat, let me say that this was the best show we've experienced together. As we took to the road, things did not look good though. She was pretty down & my usual "pick-me-ups" had no effect at all.

Morgantown is about a 1 1/2 hour drive from where we live in Wheeling. About 30 min. into the drive, I knew someting have to give. There we were, heading to one of my favorite towns going to see MY FAVORITE BAND and my soulmate is hanging her head just bummed about multiple things. I got an idea to help pick her up. Let's celebrate her birthday today! She thought it was a silly idea. Heck, her birthday isn't until November.

At first, this had NO effect whatsoever. But after a successful CO-OP run & a GRATE dinner & brews at the Black Bear w/ our friend Doug, she had a wonderful glow about her. Her ear-to-ear smiles always have a calming effect on my soul. I KNEW it was going to be a wonderful show!

The energy was there from the start. There were "yee-haws" & "oh-yeas" abound even before the band took the stage. And the minute the boys came out, they were welcomed quite well!!!

The first set was played about as good as it could be. I caught the Dead about 20 times from 90-93. Well, this set included my 1st High Time & C.C. Rider. They jammed them both out to the max!!! I LOVE to hear John singing Jerry slow songs! It used to freak me out a bit. But now I fully absorb them as an homage to 'ol Jer.

The Iko to open the 2nd set was superb. I don't think there was a single person there not shouting out "HEY NOW". The Sailor>Saint was amazing. We couldn't believe the light show that was going on. At times it looked like the band was flying through a western sky. I've never seen them w/ this kind of light show. It REALLY added to the experience.

The show ended w/ a rockin' Sugar Mag and the always peppy U.S. Blues. It was obvious the band had a blast & were pleased with their performance. I just get a real kick out of the way Rob. E. claps at the end of a show. It seems as if they're thanking us as much as were thanking them.

Remember how I wanted to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday to try and cheer her up? Well, her b-day isn't until Nov. 20th. At one point during the show, she turned to me & said "it really does feel like my b-day". We almost freaked out when Rob B. made the show announcement..."That show was originally performed by the Grateful Dead on 11.20.85". Holy Crap!

Lisa came out for the Sing Your Blues Away philler. It was a nice send off for the ride home. We attended this one w/ 2 first-timers and they were highly impressed. The venue was only about 2/3 full. But the energy we put off was more than some sell-outs I've been to.

Thanks again DSO for what you do! My next show probably won't be until summer. But this one was good enough to last awhile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived