Atlanta 3/1/08

I'll be in the lodge waiting for Rob E. to come off the slopes for his acoustic set....:)

Save me a seat Jimmy, save me a seat!!!

QUOTE(Weather Command @ Mar 12 2008, 09:32 PM)

Plus Eaton, if you do leave, we'll track you down and pig pile your ass. Period!

Let's all pile on the Eaton!! :rofl: Follow your gut Mr. Eaton, follow your gut! If it tells you to follow a different road, please puke and maybe you will change direction!!!! Either way, you are definately well loved and respected amongst this family!

Peace!

Alex911sc

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really annoys me...

Ya know. I've been seeing this band play for eight years now. I've seen more DSO shows than I can even account for. Literally hundreds of shows, and I always have a good time. Some shows are better than others, sure...but I've never seen a "bad" dso show. Never. I ALWAYS have a good time.

There always has to be some tool-bag that finds it necessary to complain. It's nothing new.. I'm sure there was some asshole at Cornel in 77 standing there with his arms crossed bitching because they didn't play alligator or whining that there was no Darkstar. Ya know what I think.. Fuck em! There are always people that simply refuse to have a good time no matter what. If you don't like it don't come there are still plenty of others that come and have a great time. As far as I'm concerned DSO is the best thing going these days, and I know many folks will agree with me...

The only thing sucky and indulgent here is your attitude dude.. We lost Jerry over a decade ago, Phil and Bobby aren't getting any younger, and unless you live in California there is not much consistently good dead music out there being played live. Be glad that someone is still carrying the torch of this music. Be grateful that DSO does it so well..

Thats my rant..

Thanks DSO

I've seen DSO many times in Atlanta and couple of times in other cities where I happened to be and I've always had a rockin good time. Last night, however, I was supremely disappointed. While they played well, what a sucky, indulgent setlist! It might have been good if this had been one of a two or three night run. But they usually only come through here a couple of times a year, and when they do I look forward to classic deadset. Not this time.

As usually I was up near the front and, at one point, I turned around and the entire audience behind was sitting down motionless. I've never seen that at a DSO concert.

Why would they do that to their Atlanta fans?

Two really good points, though: Voila Lee Blues and an especially good Drumz.

:icon14:

There always has to be some tool-bag that finds it necessary to complain. It's nothing new.. I'm sure there was some asshole at Cornel in 77 standing there with his arms crossed bitching because they didn't play alligator or whining that there was no Darkstar. Ya know what I think.. Fuck em!

Fuck-ing Hilarious. Carry on, sir.

"It's funny because it's true" -HJS

u know, i was actually at that particular show in question, and I could sort of sense the tide turning for a small percentage of the fans at the Variety Playhouse that night. The math didn't add up, and (correct me if I am wrong) dso has played a very few amount of 'original setlists' at their previous shows @ Little 5 points down there in the ATL.

So whatever. Art is neither good nor bad; it is the judgements that are to be criticized (or at least debated), right? right.

Besides, if we are gonna talk about the show we should talk about when Ike Stubblefield came out on stage and sat down at the organ next to Rob Barraco. That was fun.

img2659ws9.jpg

The truth is, I thought Ike might just sort of look over his right shoulder at RB, tip his cap and drive their whole setup around on the floor at the Variety Playhouse like a Zamboni. Barraco would just sort of do his thing (which is marvelous) while Ike drove the Zamboni around on the floor, taking careful precautions so as not to run anyone over. I am sure we would have all taken advantage of the opportunity to offer a gentle pat on the back in a way that expressed a sentiment and also did not disrupt their chemistry. They were great:

img2662lg9.jpg

I dunno. Things are weird.

:blink:

Guest crazy digits
:icon14:

Fuck-ing Hilarious. Carry on, sir.

"It's funny because it's true" -HJS

u know, i was actually at that particular show in question, and I could sort of sense the tide turning for a small percentage of the fans at the Variety Playhouse that night. The math didn't add up, and (correct me if I am wrong) dso has played a very few amount of 'original setlists' at their previous shows @ Little 5 points down there in the ATL.

So whatever. Art is neither good nor bad; it is the judgements that are to be criticized (or at least debated), right? right.

Besides, if we are gonna talk about the show we should talk about when Ike Stubblefield came out on stage and sat down at the organ next to Rob Barraco. That was fun.

img2659ws9.jpg

The truth is, I thought Ike might just sort of look over his right shoulder at RB, tip his cap and drive their whole setup around on the floor at the Variety Playhouse like a Zamboni. Barraco would just sort of do his thing (which is marvelous) while Ike drove the Zamboni around on the floor, taking careful precautions so as not to run anyone over. I am sure we would have all taken advantage of the opportunity to offer a gentle pat on the back in a way that expressed a sentiment and also did not disrupt their chemistry. They were great:

img2662lg9.jpg

I dunno. Things are weird.

:blink:

you asked someone to correct you. dso did a magical original show at the variety on halloween night 10-31-4. .. it was made into an awesome cd that is available at the merch table. original setlists are equal to the recreated. they are ALL really good!

you asked someone to correct you. dso did a magical original show at the variety on halloween night 10-31-4. .. it was made into an awesome cd that is available at the merch table. original setlists are equal to the recreated. they are ALL really good!

That is correct. (thank you sir)

But other than that show, (again, correct me if I am wrong) ATL usually gets a 're-creation'. And not getting one caught some people offgaurd. What can you do?

Me, I do not care. My opinion is similar to yours: 'they are ALL really good'.

Another nice thing that happened in the wonderful, welcoming city of Atlanta was that RB didn't almost fail to get on the bus in time to get onboard with the departing Pearl. That was helpful. In fact, many things are helpful.

"If you approah the devil's den, turn round, don't enter in lest the hand of the Almighty fall on You..." -John Butler

-

http://cdbaby.com/cd/johnrbutler

:headbang:

• Forum MVP
I'm sure there was some asshole at Cornel in 77 standing there with his arms crossed bitching because they didn't play alligator or whining that there was no Darkstar. Ya know what I think.. Fuck em!

Probably I was already clear about my digging the ATL show and probably the mention of "alligator" isn't meant to call me out. Even so, just for the fun of saying so, Hi I'm andDave and I am a setlist-aholic. When I got introduced to the "different show every night" my thinking changed forever. I embarked immediately on a lifelong game of "Hunt the Wumpus" and for me the biggest bestest gift that DSO brings is the ability to play any-damn-thing in the rep on any given night with authority. That authority comes from doing historical sets. It glows most brightly when they do a great original set. Original sets are either "all great in their way" or "varying degrees of great" or whatever you like, but surely they are in the ear of the beholder. Beholders who don't like still deserve courtesy as long as they give it.

Anyway yeah I was hunting an alligator, but please don't think I was bitching about not getting one. From my very first show I knew that one loves "this band" because one gets the tunes one didn't know one needed to hear.

Midnight Moonlight closer to mention just one.

It amazes me that people are complaining and bitching because a few people didn't like a particular setlist. Everyone has been extremely respectful on this thread. People DO have the right to express their feelings in a kind and respectul manner and that has been the case here. Get over it....I'm sure the one's that didn't like a particular setlist have gotten over it and are looking forward to when DSO returns.

I think TeacherMatt put it wonderfully when he said this on page 1 of this long running thread.

" Some of you people really have to lighten up and let other people express viewpoints..

what is wrong with someone saying what they feel in a organized respectful manner...

were you at the show ? ... did you look at it from his perspective ?

I for one applaud augustwest and the other people that express there viewpoints on this forum instead of being one of the people who "drink the water because it is there"

I also thing FunkyBass13 hit the nail on the head w/ this post too.

"The way I see it, you guys are getting to the point where expectations are so high that it is inevitable that some will be disappointed. And when you get to THAT point, you know you are doing something right".

Lighten up and let it go people. Take a step back. One thing we can all agree on is that we love this band!!! Peace

• Forum MVP
I also thing FunkyBass13 hit the nail on the head w/ this post too.

"The way I see it, you guys are getting to the point where expectations are so high that it is inevitable that some will be disappointed. And when you get to THAT point, you know you are doing something right".

Yeah thanks for bringing that back, TennKev. Yes Yes Yes that isthe nail on the head indeed. Well said!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived