Atlanta 3/1/08

From HUME:I have never seen a DSO show when they played an original, non show, setlist before ... Variety in Atlanta this past Saturday was just that, and man, the choices of tunes was most excellent. I loved hearing JGB tunes intertwined inside the Dead choices. The Viola Lee Blues was seriously off the hook, reaching this monster crescendo before slamming back in to the lazy Viola Lee groove.

most excellent guys, and thanks again!!!

And you also get a review like that one, from a newbie!

Rob, I had a business when my kids were young that kept me on the road daily. Nothing like your road trips, but I missed a ton of things, swim meets, baseball games, etc. I hated it, but we got through. I ended up selling the company. I understand your frustrations. You'll figure it out.

As far as song selections, you guys could play a set from the friggin Hanna Montana tour and it would be great! (alright,maybe I'm stretching a little, but you know what I mean). And yeah its another spectacular day here in the Colorado high country. Enjoy the south east, see you guys and girl soon. JC

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
you guys are killing it and people are planning trips and vacations around being able to catch your shows.....

We'll ALL be back. Shit, if I can just win the Lotto, my whole family is going on tour!! :D

WELL SAID !!!!!

I know the seasons, winter in particular, can effect mood. My kids have been going a little stir crazy.

For the first time in my life I have found a band I can connect with.

The family here is so freaking beautiful !!!!

Thanks to this band I have been to New York and Chicago this winter and the summer is looking bright for my kids and I to do much dancing. I do hope you find some peace Rob E. but I want you to know what you all are doing words can not express my grattuide. The band has taken everything to the next level and brought most of the crowd with them.

A world without DSO is a world I can not imagine.

Keep up the good work! I have so much respect for the members of this band.

Peace and love to all, Kdubfan

• Forum MVP

Rob Eaton you are right that it is changing and maybe not for the better, but bear in mind that such is true all day every day and sometimes the bend in the river hides treasures and other times that bend hides a rapid that will run you into a log. There's always another bend coming.

For my part, please know that I thought the show was wonderful and all the moreso for the many curve balls. In case it sounded otherwise, please know that THIS DEADHEAD LOVES THAT STUFF and more importantly is grateful for all'y'all abiding the road life for an audience that is, as always happens with humans, not uniformly appreciative.

Whatever the future holds, I'm still grateful for your efforts, each and every one.

When time comes to resume

speaking, say what you have

to say, all at once, letting it be

the lover who speaks, the one who

will most rarely say you wrong;

let the rest be meat for crows.

If no one tried to live this way

no one would discover it can't be done.

It sure makes me sad to read these things. I can only imagine the difficulty and strain on a musician who is constantly touring and being away from their friends and loved ones. Without trying to kiss too much ass, I guess the only thing that I can say is that I appreciate what you guy's and girl do to spread and share this music with us. As a fan it's wonderful to have you guy's and girl touring all the time, but I've wondered many times how long you all can go at this pace. We would all be VERY, VERY sad if any member of this band decided to hang up their guitars, drum sticks etc.. and we hope that will never happen. My hope is that you all take some much deserved time off and then (I can't believe I'm saying this) cut back a little bit, but for goodness sake don't hang it up.

I also have a solution concerning the original setlists. Let me pick the songs for the original setlists. That seems to be the only time I've heard people complain and quite honestly I'm guilty of it myself. I've stated several times that I don't particularly like the original setlists. It has nothing to do w/ my love for the band and their ability. It has nothing to do with the heart and soul they put into the songs. It has to do the with song choices themselves. Some like 'um and some don't. Some originals are better than others because of the song choices. It's never been about the musicianship, sound quality, light show, or how well the songs are played. Once again, it's about the song choices. Now really, who the heck am I to tell the band what to play on a certain night. I'd love to be able to do that, but I'm just a fan and not a member of the band. Do I quit going to the show's because of a setlist one night? Hell no, this is one of the Best, if not the Best touring bands in the world. Actually, they are my personal favorite. So bottom line, keep doing what your doing or like I said, "let me pick the original setlists". For the record, I'll be happy as long as the band keeps playin' on and the music never stops. Peace.

• Forum MVP
It might have been good if this had been one of a two or three night run.

absolutely true! as the capper on the two Asheville shows this setlist was just exactly perfect(ly weird) imho.

One cannot always expect the obvious.

• Forum MVP
How it got this out of control I have no idea.... I am at a crossroads. I want to see my daughter grow up. I want to be there for all her discoveries and beginnings. I'm missing all that now and my spirit is taking a beating. I spent most of the night thinking about all this and realized one of the things that has kept me going was knowing that we are making people happy.... Recently I see that this is not the case.

Managing expectations, be they one's own or those of others, is never easy. So many of us are so emotionally invested in this scene, on both sides of the rail, that perspective gets lost. Rob, your questioning here is no surprise. This has been coming for a while as things here have gotten bigger and bigger in a remarkably short period of time.

As Greg said, it is impossible to please all the people all of the time (with some exceptions out here) and as the fan base has exploded, expectations have grown.

Original setlists are an acquired taste, and everyone involved as a fan here undergoes stages of development. The DSO scene can be a crucible. Our relationship with the band is one of give and take, but ultimately it is the band that has to follow its muse as evoked by the members, and we as fans may decide to go along on the journey or not.

All platitudes aside, no one should try to live his or her life according to the wishes or plans of others. That path leads to frustration at best, and deep seated resentment of everything about one's situation as time goes on.

Everything that everyone says about this band's unreal level of playing, both from a technical and spiritual sense, is true, so I won't repeat it. There's no need to gilt the lily. The plan to cut back on the number of shows has distressed a few, but taking a step back is probably essential. It is something we should all do.

There are so many facets to life... I'm finding myself questioning everything. What am I doing with my life and what do I want and need to do with my life. I'm missing so many of the little things life has to offer being on the road. I miss my family and friends. They put up with me being away almost 3/4 of the year. I miss having a "normal" life. We've been doing this a long time..... and it seems to be changing, I can feel it. The thing is I don't know if it's for the better. When I first joined this band it was because I believed in this music and the scene. I decided to sacrifice many of the things in life I love to do just that. How it got this out of control I have no idea.... I am at a crossroads. I want to see my daughter grow up. I want to be there for all her discoveries and beginnings. I'm missing all that now and my spirit is taking a beating. I spent most of the night thinking about all this and realized one of the things that has kept me going was knowing that we are making people happy.... Recently I see that this is not the case. I'm glad these reviews are honest because it helps ground me and remind me of the really important things in life... The little ones, friends and family..... I miss being normal and want very much to be!

with sincerity

Rob Eaton

FWIW.....I think the elective setlists to some extent are becoming stale.....Many of the same songs are being played in all the electives so there is some predictability there.....I wouldnt use the word indulgent....I think the audience understands that it is about the band as well....And the band needs to have fun......I just think the electives are perhaps TOO big a departure from the recreations.....You guys have fallen in love with certain songs and that is great.....But it wouldn't hurt to throw a few more crowd pleasers into the elective setlists.......I am sure after doing 80% recreated setlists, y'all are sick of playing the same old songs.....But just throwing in a random Scarlet>Fire or Help>Slip>Franklin's....or even just a few 1st set classics (Music, Tennessee Jed, Ramble on Rose, etc) I think would make a big difference to the audience during the elective shows......The person who catches only 1-2 shows a year will feel psyched that they heard a few of their faves AND the band can still fit in plenty of eclectic and personal choices that dont get played as often or at all in the recreated setlists....just my 2 cents

Bear in mind that this is the opinion of a newbie. Sadly, I never never saw a Dead show and I've only recently gotten into their music. A couple of friends are Deadheads and it sparked my interest. I've read a few books about the band (McNally, Lesh, Scully) and I've been listening to the music non-stop for about six months. Needless to say, I'm smitten!!!

So, when I heard about DSO coming to Atlanta, I was thrilled at the prospect of hearing some of my new favorite tunes played live. You can't imagine how excited I was. However, I must admit that I was disappointed with the setlist simply because I've still never heard many Dead standards live.

I recognize that I'm not in the same boat as most of you. However, I'll be back next time they're in town with my fingers crossed.

Rob,

This is the first time (in a long time) that I have been brought back to live music. I've done almost all of it... Dead (a lot), Panic, Phish, etc... and I feel like this community and this band is where I have wanted to be for a very long time. Please know that your music is very much appreciated and that we support you in whatever decision you make. I've been on this bus for 8 years and my hope is to stay onboard as long as the music and energy is there...

That being said, as a young parent myself, I agree that you need to invest in your family and friends. Whittle back the tours, stay healthy.... Just know that your audience want what's best for you and support whatever decision will keep you in this band in the future.

P.S. I love all the stuff you throw out on stage. Play them in any order you want, you guys are playing better now than ever (IMHO).

Guest captain420

Musician (Not An Easy Life)

Lyrics: Brent Mydland

Music: Brent Mydland

From the 1976 album "Silver", with whom Brent played keyboards.

The rent's due tomorrow

Haven't got a penny to my name

I'm trying to build me a lifetime

Think I'd better start a new frame

Chorus

And I think I'm learning first hand

About what it's like to be

To be a musician

And I can see

It's not an easy life

It's not an easy life to live

Guess that I chose the hard road

No use wondering why

I had hopes I would make it

Must have had my hopes up too high

[chorus]

And I keep on smiling

Ooh, smiling

Smiling to hide the pain

Inside I'm crying

Ooh, crying

And it's hard to explain

----------

Keep your head up Rob....We are all here behind you.

• Forum MVP
There are so many facets to life... I'm finding myself questioning everything. What am I doing with my life and what do I want and need to do with my life. I'm missing so many of the little things life has to offer being on the road. I miss my family and friends. They put up with me being away almost 3/4 of the year. I miss having a "normal" life. We've been doing this a long time..... and it seems to be changing, I can feel it. The thing is I don't know if it's for the better. When I first joined this band it was because I believed in this music and the scene. I decided to sacrifice many of the things in life I love to do just that. How it got this out of control I have no idea.... I am at a crossroads. I want to see my daughter grow up. I want to be there for all her discoveries and beginnings. I'm missing all that now and my spirit is taking a beating. I spent most of the night thinking about all this and realized one of the things that has kept me going was knowing that we are making people happy.... Recently I see that this is not the case. I'm glad these reviews are honest because it helps ground me and remind me of the really important things in life... The little ones, friends and family..... I miss being normal and want very much to be!

with sincerity

Rob Eaton

Sorry you're going through a tough time Rob. I am guessing though, that this is the kind of questioning and introspection that has made you who you are and has guided you thus far. I really hope that this thing doesn't become a burden for you or anyone in the band, becuase that's the last thing music should be. The only thing I have to offer is, to listen to and trust what your heart is telling you. I know that everyone here, much, much more than anything else, wants the best for you and everyone else in the band. I think that is really important to keep in mind.

Managing expectations

Ah I think I know where you got this one from, Chuck:) But quite seriously, it is something we all must do on a daily basis whether it be at one's own job, this side of the rail, or on the stage... It is so easy to get caught up in the moment, especially when it comes to this scene because there is so much feeling and emotion involved and we tend to lose sight of what our expectations should be. As fans, we are here to enjoy the music and support the scene. Thats really all. DSO is here attempting to fulfill those expectations by going out night after night, week after week, to share the music with us. I am so very grateful for all the hard work and dedication you have given to us. I cannot imagine what it is like to only sleep in my own bed 12-14 weeks out of the year and to never get to see my family. Couple that with sharing a bus with a dozen other people, not eating normal food at normal times, going to bed at 4am and having to do it all over again the next day, etc... It is rather humbling when I think about it. I'm sure the band when they got together 10 years ago never expected it to have gotten so big- playing the Fillmore with Bobby, going to Amsterdam for JITD, playing on cruise boats, selling out almost every night, etc.....

I would have never found the music if it weren't for DSO and although I know their time on stage is not infinite, I will always have the music in my heart. It is a true blessing to be able to go to a DSO show. Although we all have our wishes (70's show, elective, 80's, whatever), in the end I am just happy to be there. I guess perhaps because I missed being able to see the Grateful Dead, this is as close as I will ever get. Nothing has ever put a bigger smile on my face. As Chuck said, if cutting back on some shows helps preserve the music in the long run, then it is better for all of us. And if it necessary for us to take a step back, it should be done.

Rob, and the rest of the band, thank you for all you have given us. I hope that after Amsterdam you will be able to enjoy a peaceful and restful break with your loved ones, as you deserve.

With love,

Lisa

with sincerity

Rob Eaton

Rob,

Everybody has got to find that middle ground...That "happy medium". Y'all have been touring non stop...And I don't believe for a minute that the vast majority of fans are not feeling the great vibe you folks put out day in and day out...Come on out to Cali for some "good lovin"...But seriously take a break if you need to...You seem like a well rounded individual with many diverse interests...Here's to hoping you find that sweet balance...

Peace,

Jon

Guest augustwest
... Maybe we're so familiar with the material that no song seems obscure anymore. Maybe we're to close to the music and need to step away too really see. I can't wait to be a ski instructor again....... :(

Rob, I'm glad to see you guys are reading the board. I hope my initial feedback was taken in the spirit it was intended. The only reason I took the trouble to post is that DSO is one of the few bands I really, really look forward to coming to town every year. When y'all were here last fall (and other times), it was a blast from beginning to end. During the China Cat/IKYR jam (for example), there was such a vibe as the whole audience was gooving to it, that it was great to be a part of it. That's why I keep coming back. That didn't happen this time.

I don't mind an original setlist and I like some of the obscure songs. Sometimes I don't closely listen to a song until I hear it live. But you can't eliminate all the tier I songs for the entire show. There's a reason those songs are our favorites.

At any rate, next time y'all come through here, I'll be there. But, if you're going to do that again, please let us know ahead of time, so we can adjust our expectations.

And if you decide to become a ski instructor, let me know. I want to audition for your spot (like I could). ;)

• Forum MVP

I appreciate all the input and opinions from all of you. It's good to get honest opinions and many of us do pay attention and hear you all even as varied opinions are given. We are all here to serve and share the music together.

Dino

I can not agree more with the outpouring of admiration for this band , I have never walked away from a show with out a feeling of awe and respect for both the band as a whole and every member of their crew that make each show the treat that it is . I also agree that for the three short years I have been privileged to participate in the DSO experience things have changed, as does anything that is successful, I feel numerous changes have been positive, there is an energy in the air at recent shows that one has to experience to believe! I have thoroughly enjoyed having this music back in my life and this time around having the added benefit of sharing it with my family. If I had my wish it would be the benefit of being able to experience another twenty plus years of DSO. One can only imagine the strain the constant touring can have on an individual as well as those they are close to, particularly missing important times in a son or daughters life. I for one would rather see a slow down in touring (not happily of course) to preserve the long term well being, happiness, and energy of the band. Best to all !!!!!!

Guest DSOohh Yeaahh

Although I am too young to have seen Jerry and the boys, I have been blasting their music my entire life and I have been following my favorite band since the 6th anniversary show in Athens, GA. I have also followed this forum closely for a number of years. However, until today I never felt compelled to post. That all changed as I read Rob's introspections. I like to consider myself a banner example of how DSO brings the music of the Dead to people who (without DSO's contributions) may not have ever understood the power of live music, particularly live Dead. I am very thankful for the opportunity to see this music performed live (from coast to coast and many points in between) and I hope that I have many more opportunities to do the same. Keep on rocking Rob. Vermont is beautiful, but you are the King Bee.

with sincerity

Rob Eaton

Wow...that really makes me think about what you guys sacrifice to make us to make us happy. Thank you for everything :)

• Forum MVP
we put so much heart and soul into whatever songs we are doing but it's not getting through to the audience.

Oh it's getting through man. Just cuz some don't dig it doesn't mean it's on deaf ears. Who among us hasn't walked out of a Dead show wondering "what was THAT setlist all about?" Anyone? ...or is it just me? Maybe I'm just a setlist-obsessed nerd-o-rama, but I say you HAVE to keep the crowd guessing, and unfortunately, doing THAT job right will get you some criticism, to wit this thread.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

When I was reading this thread I recalled a story that was posted that almost broke my heart...A drummer from Jason Isbell's band cashed life on the road in in late January...like teachers...Musicians are underpaid...

Keep the faith...........

As of today, I am taking a considerable leave of absence from the touring world. Over the course of the past few years, I've done my best to remain reasonable and realistic about the sacrifices that had to be made in the best interest of my career as a musician, and I've always been keenly aware of the rigors of the road. It's not an easy life, by any stretch of the imagination, but sometimes one has to sacrifice things (home life, for example) in order to help secure a bit of financial stability and advance one's life forward. You do what you have to do, in the hopes of things one day getting easier, and you always hope things will pay off somehow... maybe not in any spectacular monetary way, but just in terms of building a future, and being able to go to bed at night without worrying about your car being repossessed while you sleep. I've tried to sacrifice, and hoped it wasn't in vain. I've slept in a van more times than I can remember, and I've tried my best to give 120 percent on every show I've played. I have more outstanding debts than I can even stand to count, and at 31 (almost 32) I still have nothing to show for any of it. My family... my mother, my father, my girlfriend .... they all politely tolerate me being perpetually absent in my own life. They understand why I do what I do. I love playing, and always have, and I've spent the better part of my life learning how to do what I do better than I did it before, and I've always taken pride in that. They understand this... which is why they continually bail me out of debt and cover my ass when my choices leave me with nothing. I'm a grown man, and it's time to cut losses and start a life as a functional adult. I have no regrets about gambling so fervently on something that ultimately shows no potential of paying off (I'm talking about my career course over the past few years, not Jason or the 400 Unit - that's a great band with my favorite songwriter at the helm), but I'm not going to keep sitting at the table after I've lost my ass. I fold... it's time for a different game. And every turn gives me a different sign that this is the right choice to make. The coup de gras presented itself this morning, when I arrived at the van to find it completely empty of any of gear.... we'd been broken into. My kit is gone... they didn't even leave my stick bag. Now, all I own is what I have sitting here with me: two bags of clothes, a backpack, and this laptop. I've lost everything in the course of waiting on my work to reciprocate at least some fraction of what I've put into it (I don't mean the music, of course; I'm talking about the business end of things... playing the shows is all I've really gotten out of it), and today is the day. It's wakeup time. So, I must offer apologies to those whom I leave behind, as I've certainly never had any intentions of things turning out like this, but I'm going home to save what's left of my life. Hang in there. Thank you for every second onstage; I wouldn't trade it for anything. I thank God for my family, and for Christy, and for the chance to have played for all of you out there... I'll miss that stage, and all the moments that happen on it.

Guest crazy digits

I must say of the thousands of posts, there have been only a handful of controversial ones, and of which, get the most press so to speak...I am thankful for what I get everytime regardless of the show DSO does...I, of course like most, love some shows better than others :) but as I have said so many times, DSO NEVER takes a night off like the GD used to occasionally.

Archived