Atlanta 3/1/08

Guest darbysdad

Wow Oh Freeking Wow,

It's Kind Of Like When Clarence Tells George That This Is What It Would Be Like If You Never Were Born (Of Course I Speak Of It's A Wonderful Life) And That Is Exactly What It Has Been For Me Since I Got On This DSO Bandwagon.Without The Band I Would Still Be 60 Years Old ,Falling Asleep Watching Survivor Or Some Such Drivel,And Never ,Ever Thought Of Going To The Ledges.I'm Downloading Everything Available,Now!

Love Is Love,Not Fade Away

Jerry

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was as both Asheville shows and Atlanta

they were all good but Atlanta was Great!

well worth flying out for

equally worth debating about

I could care less about setlists

they didn't play any of my requests

but then half the time I can't remember the setlist at the end of the show anyways

all I remember is the bliss and the moments of complete throw down

some people just need to get out of their head and FEEL IT more

keep on keeping on

I am loving it!!!

thanks so much

until the next time

-e

• Forum MVP
I don't mind an original setlist and I like some of the obscure songs. Sometimes I don't closely listen to a song until I hear it live. But you can't eliminate all the tier I songs for the entire show. There's a reason those songs are our favorites.

I don't think you don't get it August. We want a band to play what's in their hearts and in their minds in that given moment on that night-- no matter what songs you or anyone else in the audience are begging to hear. Whether it's a So Many Roads, a China>Rider, a Estimated, whatever. Go see another band who plays their hits every night or plays the same show every time out if you want a guarantee of hearing YOUR songs because, actually, everyone has different songs, be it SOTM or MAMU. We, and I mean my friends and I, don't want that because that's not real and we want real.

Guest darbysdad

Yes Rob,All Of Us Fans Just Pop In And Out At Shows (Some Much More Than Others) When We Can Finagle Time Off,$$,Etc. ,All The While Not Deserting Our Base Comfort Zone For Very Long

The Band ,However,Is All In With The Touring,Truckstop Food,Smelling Each Others Farts,Et All.Does It Get Like Groundhog Day For You Guys??

Personally I Would Kill To Be Able To Make A Living Doing Something I Love And While You Are At It,Making People Happy Beyond Belief,Even If It's Only For That Particular Show.

Please Know ,That What You Do As A Band,Touches Much Much More & Much Much Deeper Than You Think.

I Love You Guys,Unconditionally,For The Happiness And Peace You Bring To My Life

Selfish?? Well Just A Tad.

Guest situationpete
.....day after day.I'm sure the traveling on the bus gets old, and eating on the run all the time sucks ..........

........and you rarely come across any fresh powder, which is essential for skiing

:rolleyes:

There are so many facets to life... I'm finding myself questioning everything. What am I doing with my life and what do I want and need to do with my life. I'm missing so many of the little things life has to offer being on the road. I miss my family and friends. They put up with me being away almost 3/4 of the year. I miss having a "normal" life. We've been doing this a long time..... and it seems to be changing, I can feel it. The thing is I don't know if it's for the better. When I first joined this band it was because I believed in this music and the scene. I decided to sacrifice many of the things in life I love to do just that. How it got this out of control I have no idea.... I am at a crossroads. I want to see my daughter grow up. I want to be there for all her discoveries and beginnings. I'm missing all that now and my spirit is taking a beating. I spent most of the night thinking about all this and realized one of the things that has kept me going was knowing that we are making people happy.... Recently I see that this is not the case. I'm glad these reviews are honest because it helps ground me and remind me of the really important things in life... The little ones, friends and family..... I miss being normal and want very much to be!

with sincerity

Rob Eaton

Rob,

A few years back you made a post with reference to the "Dash" on a tombstone and its signifigance... I think allot of your woes are all about the "Dash" and what you are doing with/during yours.... The crossroads you are at is a crucial one that you must reach deep inside to contend with. DSO has morped into something that is bigger and better than anyone could have ever imagined and must be handled with care with every band member and crew's health and well being the paramount factor.. While you come to terms with everything, we will still be here to support you all, there is no doubt about that!!!

Peace my friend!

Alex

I don't mind an original setlist and I like some of the obscure songs. Sometimes I don't closely listen to a song until I hear it live. But you can't eliminate all the tier I songs for the entire show. There's a reason those songs are our favorites.

At any rate, next time y'all come through here, I'll be there. But, if you're going to do that again, please let us know ahead of time, so we can adjust our expectations.

And if you decide to become a ski instructor, let me know. I want to audition for your spot (like I could). ;)

....and what exactly might those tier I tunes be?? The more I read this thread, the more I understand where you are coming from Rob.....

Reality is... the ATL audience couldn't handle your monster pre-drums Corrina.

They'll get there.... eventually.

Guest situationpete

I saw Prince Harry on CNN talking about how he just wanted to be normal, and how it kinda sucked being royalty and always having people in your face expecting you to perform. He went to fight in Afghanistan and said he felt more normal than he ever has in his life. But now, he's just back to being a prince. So maybe over break go down to the shooting range (unless you really feel Afghanistan is the way to go, but I don't recommend it) and blow some shit up ! That always helps me out. If ya want , come on out to the park, there's this geo metro just been sitting there for months. I'll throw a couple of old propane tanks in it, pop some incendiary rounds in the AK............voila ! troubles gone, metros gone !!

"Reality is... the ATL audience couldn't handle your monster pre-drums Corrina."

I have always loved Corrina (amidst much complaints)

it has a real subtle but confident

Crack the Whip that is oh so much fun to dance to

silly people who can't get past the words or whatever

Corrina is a super fun song and always has been

m2c

-e

Guest rowjimmy

If the audience was motionless at any of the DSO concerts I've been to over the past year, it's because there's no room to move it's so packed.

I count the days between shows...counting the time I have to wait for this group of talented musicians to share their gift with me.

Opinions are fine and welcome on the forums, I agree. But I dare any of you to hit the road and leave your loved ones behind for weeks at a time and perform when you're told to - you can't call in sick.

Do you feel grate when you leave the show? Do you feel healed? That's because you're leaving with a piece of everyone in the band and crew that poured their soul into the music for YOU.

I don't want to reiterate what others have said in support of the band - only to add this person's appreciation for the sacrifice I am aware they give for the music and their fans.

Peace.

• Forum MVP
cant wait for the next mexicali blooze show. last time they hit me with a days between and two off the mix cd (callous, american spring). it was the tits

So they have performed Callous? Oh boy, that's great! Gotta make the next TN show!

...and rowjimmy is right I've never seen the whole crowd motionless. In fact, I am often a non-dancer myself and find it tough even in the back to be let to be still by the bouncing herd!

Guest cheesusfreak
Rob,

A few years back you made a post with reference to the "Dash" on a tombstone and its signifigance... I think allot of your woes are all about the "Dash" and what you are doing with/during yours.... The crossroads you are at is a crucial one that you must reach deep inside to contend with. DSO has morped into something that is bigger and better than anyone could have ever imagined and must be handled with care with every band member and crew's health and well being the paramount factor.. While you come to terms with everything, we will still be here to support you all, there is no doubt about that!!!

Peace my friend!

Alex

http://www.the-dash-movie-poem.com/

Guest rjcdupree

but that's the majic......

some nights you get all caught up in it and away you go....

some nights you just have to enjoy the fellowship...

I've never had a bad time, but damn I've had some good ones

and when it's good, there's nothing like it.

Show Review....

well........Sitting on Top of the World and Viola were.....well.....GRATE.

DSO

It Just IS!!!!!

Hello To All, To a guy who has worked at the same place for 32 years, living on the road playing in a band looks like a lot

of fun. However, I'm old enough to know that everything is not always as it seems. Others have spoken about the fast food,

the travel , and the fans who seem impossible to please at times... Maybe backing off the touring grind for a while would

allow Rob and the rest of the band to recharge their batteries.

Does anyone out there remember that the Dead talked at one time about having their own venue that they would play at,

and in order to see them you would have to go there. Kind of like the grand ole opry or broadway. If you want to see it you have to go there, they don't come to you. Maybe it could be like Branson for Deadheads. Whatever it takes to keep this band and the vibe alive. Dark Star Orchestra has rekindled my fire, and I don't want it to end. I LOVE THIS BAND !!!!!!

Peace from Virginia..........

Guest situationpete
Does anyone out there remember that the Dead talked at one time about having their own venue that they would play at,

and in order to see them you would have to go there. Kind of like the grand ole opry or broadway. If you want to see it you have to go there, they don't come to you. Maybe it could be like Branson for Deadheads.

Peace from Virginia..........

I know this place in Ohio.........

I had already had a similar thought

how the band members live all over and it would really need to be that they each pick a venue near where they live and rotate long runs in each other's towns

for me its a ritual experience

I need the days between

-e

Guest cheesusfreak

and in order to see them you would have to go there. Kind of like the grand ole opry or broadway. If you want to see it you have to go there, they don't come to you. Maybe it could be like Branson for Deadheads. Whatever it takes to keep this band and the vibe alive. Dark Star Orchestra has rekindled my fire, and I don't want it to end. I LOVE THIS BAND !!!!!!

We've got a pretty big backyard here in WV. It's in the country & we've got a pool. ;)

We've got a pretty big backyard here in WV. It's in the country & we've got a pool. ;)

A pool ?? Somebody pinch me !!!!

Reality is... the ATL audience couldn't handle your monster pre-drums Corrina.

Hey now, let's not trash an entire audience or city based on a couple of non-positive postings. I was at the show and really enjoyed the change of pace. My wife who has seen DSO only a couple of times remarked that she enjoyed the show because, among other things, it demonstrated the band's versatility and virtuosity. We had an awesome time!

BigDad

...one of the things that has kept me going was knowing that we are making people happy.... Recently I see that this is not the case...

Rob Eaton

Rob:

your incredible posts prompt me to express a few thoughts I've held but never verbalized through my years of board lurking (herbalized, just never verbalized). First, the web is a dangerous place. People tend to shoot from the hip in ways they never would in person, and convince themselves of their own omnipitent wisdom in the process. Grain of salt. Grain of salt. Remember the old cliche for giving a speech - imagine the audience naked and you'll relax. The cliche for reading critiques of your shows should be - imagine the author is a 19 year old who has never seen DSO, the Dead, or a hippie, and really slams to Vanilla Ice.

After all, do you really need to preach to those whose enjoyment hinges on factors that don't involve your musicianship? The whole 'recreation vs original setlist' debate seems pointless to me - except to say that an original setlist would tend to imply greater enthusiasm by the band (your choice based upon your collective muse). But I can't understand why a show succeeds or fails based upon the inclusion of the obligatory Scarlet - Fire, or some other specific prerequisite. What do you get by hearing xx-xx-xxxx? The ability to say 'I heard xx-xx-xxxx'? I just don't see how that's enriching, unless you argue that there is a special X-Factor to the set list combinations that the Dead put together. But that's just a little too new agey for my simple mind. Take a great GD setlist, replace 3 songs, and you no longer have a 'recreation'. I bet the show still rocks.

What counts to me is looking at you and Barracco staring at each other in a trance, trading licks with abandon while the band keeps playin' on, or Koritz and Dino reminding me that it's impossible to truly recreate the Dead feel when you're just too good on your kits to stoop to that level (sorry Billy and Mickey - that was a low blow, but being a Molo fanatic ... ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth).

And of course, exhibit A - remember the great old clip of Jerry talking about slugging Phil for playing so badly, only to later revisit the tapes and find them 'crackling with energy'. How people enjoy a show is so heavily driven by the personal baggage they carry along that anyone who has a less than positive critique should absolutely take a walk around the proverbial block before lowering the boom. One of the great amusements I've had over the years of collecting music is revisiting a show and reconsidering my first impressions. I, for one, am not batting 1000. Have an argument with someone at work and the show may suck. Win the lottery and I guarantee that show will rock!

I'm sorry - I want to be receptive to the critics as well - but I listen to music, I play music, I have logged countless hours with DSO, and I simply cannot imagine blaming DSO for a show where an entire audience sat down for the night. In my universe, that would be impossible. (Makes me think of a Far Side where you've got two buildings side by side. DSO and the sitters are in one and all the spinners are playing Bingo in the other. I just can't complete the image with the appropriately misplaced signs at each door.) For someone to state in an open forum that this result was premeditated by the band simply proves my point about shooting from the hip without due consideration.

I am deeply sorry to hear that you're so troubled. Selfishly, this sets off a chain of concerns that may be life altering for some and at least profoundly disappointing for many. I would love to think that some time off would do the trick. Maybe this is your '74 retirement, to be followed shortly by total insanity. But ultimately I would only embarrass myself by trying to offer suggestions to ease your personal doubts - though I do like the mowing the grass bit mentioned earlier.

Just remember the change that has occurred on the Philzone. Used to be that bashing DSO was a full time occupation for many. Then came PL University and the deification of certain board members. Then some of those board members rebutted the naysayers and pointed out that DSO is - musically speaking - excellent. The naysayers ran for the hills. Now those boards are: "DSO playing this weekend in Portland > Really?! See you there!" Maybe people who don't like something and don't know enough to move on are actually upset about something else altogether. I can't tell you to not let them bother you, but I can assure you there will be plenty of us cheering you on when the dust settles.

DSO brings a lot of happiness to a lot of people. Wherever the journey ends, you will have much to be proud of.

May the four winds blow you safely home.

PLS

Archived