El Rey 1st Night

jawdoc

What a grate show. Opened with Goog Lovin and closed with Quinn the Eskimo. Got lost going back to the hotel, got pulled over and had to explain my erratic driving, Made it back safe and sound, I think it was an original set list but I could be wrong. Could someone fill in the blanks? See everyone tonight.

• Forum MVP

!!!!!!!DANK REPORT!!!!!!

Dan Klepinger sat in for Viola Lee Blues (baracco stayed on stage - 2 key players).... dont know any details other than that. Damn, i really wish i was in Californee right now!!!

Wow!!!! Terrific show. Dan also sat in and joined Rob B for Rooster in the 1st set. What a wonderful treat! I cannot put together the setlist for the life of me but the first set was very second set-like with Good Lovin opener, St Stephen, Rooster, then not really sure what was in the middle...there was a SOTOTW, Women Smarter, Touch.... 2nd set viola, tom thumb, scarlet>fire, .......comes a time, throwing stones....well others can fill in. Pool time!

Guest ibewbro

4-25-08 El Rey Theater - Los Angeles, Ca.

SET 1: Good Lovin, St. Stephen, Little Red Rooster, Row Jimmy, Lazy Lightnming->Supplication, Let Me Sing Your Blues Away, Sitting On Top Of The World, Woman Are Smarter, Touch Of Gray

SET 2: Viola Lee Blues, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, Dancin In The Streets, Scarlet->Fire, Drums. Space, Throwing Stones, Comes A Time, Lovelight, Encore: Quinn The Eskimo

I thought last nights show had much more energy than Salana Beach, must be the 2 drummers. The El Rey is really nice theater kinda like a mini Fillmore without the balconies. looking forward to tonight...........................Peace

How funny is perception??? :)

I usually enjoy original setlists, and I certainly enjoyed last night's show as there were moments of blinding brilliance, but overall the show lacked "flow". Sure there was some nice flow in pockets but overall it just seemed ... I dunno ... off, I guess.

The positive?

A killer Good Lovin' -> St. Stephen opener that featured (at least to my ears) a nice China Cat tease/jam (a jam it seemed like they revisited during that suh-mokin' Viola Lee).

The jams in general had a very '76 feel to them as they were slower and groovier with some great subtleties and interplay but they generally lacked that in your face "wow" moment.

The crowd bothered me quite a bit last night. There was a LOT of talking and on a night where the jams were quiet and subdued it made it really difficult to get into the groove (that might explain the feeling of lack of flow), also there were a few crazy dosers (not that there's anything wrong with that) who were intent on ignoring personal boundaries and respecting even the most minimal of dancing space.

Overall, though, I was still pleased with the show and came away generally satisfied though not as blown away as in the past (as I said to my brother last night, it might not have been a GREAT show, but a good DSO show is still better than 90% of the other shite out there).

Here's hoping they bring down the house tonight :)

Guest ibewbro

4-25-08 El Rey Theater - Los Angeles, Ca.

SET 1: Good Lovin, St. Stephen, Liberty, Little Red Rooster, Row Jimmy, Lazy Lightnming->Supplication, Let Me Sing Your Blues Away, Sitting On Top Of The World, Woman Are Smarter, Touch Of Gray

SET 2: Viola Lee Blues, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, Dancin In The Streets, Scarlet->Fire, Drums. Space, Throwing Stones, Comes A Time, Lovelight, Encore: Quinn The Eskimo

I Just remebered Liberty followed St. Stephen

• Forum MVP
Nice review dstone... hoping they bring it tonight...love comes a time...

I appreciate the sentiment but I don't really do reviews, cept for maybe mentioning an exeptional highlight or two.

You must have meant Nastero--I used to have a similar Avatar.

But I'll take any nice words I can get Steve, so it's appreciated even though not deserved. :)

Guest crazy digits

BTW > on a negative note about the this particular show, my friend James had his $325.00 camera stolen at the show. It always blows my mind to think that someone who feels the love to go see this music would do something like this. PLEASE, if anyone knows of this, touch base with me or James and get his camera back....ain't no time to hate...Thank you.

BTW > on a negative note about the this particular show, my friend James had his $325.00 camera stolen at the show. It always blows my mind to think that someone who feels the love to go see this music would do something like this. PLEASE, if anyone knows of this, touch base with me or James and get his camera back....ain't no time to hate...Thank you.

That's pretty sleazy, sorry to hear about that.

• Forum MVP
I appreciate the sentiment but I don't really do reviews, cept for maybe mentioning an exeptional highlight or two.

You must have meant Nastero--I used to have a similar Avatar.

But I'll take any nice words I can get Steve, so it's appreciated even though not deserved. :)

Yes, the Brent Avator threw me off...thanks, nastero

• Forum MVP
How funny is perception???

Don't know about "funny", but of course perception is everything, particularly on a board where such a divergent set of experiences and expectations are brought to the table.

Balanced perspectives are a wonderful thing!

Archived