Derby Picks

bs69

• Forum MVP
I am going to say Pyro and add that a "run for the roses" will be in the setlist at the Crystal.

I also like Pyro today.Although his last race was terrible, I'm throwing it out because of the synthetic surface.I'm on my way to that dump Freehold to bet the card now.Good luck.

• Forum MVP

We were drinking mint juleps and watching the race in a nice bar in Portland. Really tragic end. You have to wonder if it's really worth it to race these 2 year olds every time a horse goes down and has to be killed on the track. It doesn't happen a lot but thre is so much pressure and force put on those spindly legs. My sister LOVES horses and rides a lot and has always told me how bad this was for them. I'm not really advocating anything but it was really heartbreaking to see that on Sat.

• 3 weeks later...

agreed. ^That sort of scenario is hard to watch.

But it is just such a beautiful American pastime and rich cultural event... Not to mention the love and soul thrown in from all parties involves with the lifestyle that is racing and raising horses. It is hard not to see through the tragedy and witness the beauty.

Also we have a double crown winner. During these economic times, it is hard for me to not want to re-read Seabiscuit for some inspiration.

Pollard & Seabiscuit:

Seabiscuit.jpg

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived