Portland 5/3/08

Guest mclutter

Guest mclutter

Tonights Show...

07-30-88 Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA.

I: LTGTR> Stranger, Loser, Minglewood, Row Jimmy, Memphis Blues, Push> Music> Don't Ease

II: Victim, Touch, Estimated> Eyes> Drumz> Smokestack> GDTRFB> Wharf Rat> Throwing Stones> Saturday Night

E: U. S. Blues> Heaven's Door

Good times, Great oldies!

Tonights Show...

07-30-88 Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA.

I: LTGTR> Stranger, Loser, Minglewood, Row Jimmy, Memphis Blues, Push> Music> Don't Ease

II: Victim, Touch, Estimated> Eyes> Drumz> Smokestack> GDTRFB> Wharf Rat> Throwing Stones> Saturday Night

E: U. S. Blues> Heaven's Door

Good times, Great oldies!

"Good Times" or just good times, did you all get to ring that bell?

• Forum MVP

This show's magic for me lay in the Rat>T Stones>Sat night US Blues>Knockin. The Knockin, in particular, had some seriously emotional moments, climaxing in the "Come wipe these tears from my eyes, I can't shed them anymore" stanza. I didn't see a dry eye in the house.

Baracco was wearing a Mets jersey last night. However, since I am not holding it against Eaton, I can't see how I can hold that against him. :)

Dancin I agree with you about the iron wall at the crystal. The crowd was a little weird though. Some people just wanted up front and didn't care who they ran over. The thing is if they could tap on my shoulder and just smile and say please I probably would let them through. I agree with the over 21 deal as well.

• Forum MVP
I got no prob w/the youngins just don't want to give up alot of valuable floor space for them

there's alot of excellant dance room wasted at the CB imho

-e

Roger that! Portland alcohol laws and fire codes are evidently stricter than strict. Eugene and the McDonald are paradise. :grouphug:

Heck, I say 35 and older.

if it was 35 or older i'd still sneak in!

you "old people" are right ,

there are a lot of young dead head's,

but i dont think theyre any more a waste of space than you or I

because ive been seeing DSO since i was a wee youngin', maybe 13

and i will continue to see them, until i get old

just thought i would leave my 2cents

• Forum MVP
if it was 35 or older i'd still sneak in!

you "old people" are right ,

there are a lot of young dead head's,

but i dont think theyre any more a waste of space than you or I

because ive been seeing DSO since i was a wee youngin', maybe 13

and i will continue to see them, until i get old

just thought i would leave my 2cents

i think younger heads like you, helpslip, and I deviate from the genre of the typical disrespectful "hippie" kid that just goes for the scene or the party. unfortunately, alot of these kids are at shows for the wrong reasons.

we need more guys like you shawn to spread the grateful vibes among our generation.

i think younger heads like you, helpslip, and I deviate from the genre of the typical disrespectful "hippie" kid that just goes for the scene or the party. unfortunately, alot of these kids are at shows for the wrong reasons.

we need more guys like you shawn to spread the grateful vibes among our generation.

to clarify

I am not sawing that the youngins are a waste of space - I like them there

its that at the Crystal Ballroom having an under 21 crowd means they divide the floor up the middle with a FIVE FOOT swath of no man's land where no one can dance, stand or anything - some of the best, most valuable space in the entire room - where is sounds the best and where the spring loaded floor bounces the most and NO ONE can be there just because of the alcohol laws

I would say - no alcohol on the main floor at CB - just in balcony and downstairs in Lola's would be fine with me

please just don't take away valuable square footage in exchange for youngins - that was my point

peace

-e

I started seeing the Grateful Dead when I was 16. A lot of people thought I was too young to share in the experience. Too young? I think The Grateful Dead are all about eternal youth. I saw as many older people passed out in the parking lot as I saw young people. I encourage anyone of any age to see DSO. It can change your life the way The Grateful Dead changed mine. My five year old has seen them probably 35 times or more. Many times at the Crystal. I will not judge people by age. As Louis Armstrong said "Love baby, Love, that's the secret"

• Forum MVP
I started seeing the Grateful Dead when I was 16. A lot of people thought I was too young to share in the experience. Too young? I think The Grateful Dead are all about eternal youth. I saw as many older people passed out in the parking lot as I saw young people. I encourage anyone of any age to see DSO. It can change your life the way The Grateful Dead changed mine. My five year old has seen them probably 35 times or more. Many times at the Crystal. I will not judge people by age. As Louis Armstrong said "Love baby, Love, that's the secret"

D'accord. :)

you are preaching to the choir

I took my son Jasper to see 40 GD shows in his first year on this planet

I saw my first GD show when I was 16 too

all I am saying is there has to be a better way to let young people attend the Crystal Ballroom w/o the stupid barrier up the middle

-e

Yeah, I agree with you. I would love to see all alcohol in Lola'a as well. Isn't that the way it is at the Roseland? Not that I prefer the full cavity search you have to go through there :lol:. I'm really happy there's no smoking. Perhaps the balcony could be cordoned off for drinking along with Lola's though I have seen it where there is a private party in Lola's at the same time as a DSO show. I think it was last year and it was a wedding. It was really fun to see people dressed to the nines at a DSO show. I was sitting in the back with my boy asleep in my arms so I got to see a lot of people walking out of the show in ties with puzzled expressions on their faces.

To quote Homer Simpson "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"

you are preaching to the choir

I took my son Jasper to see 40 GD shows in his first year on this planet

I saw my first GD show when I was 16 too

all I am saying is there has to be a better way to let young people attend the Crystal Ballroom w/o the stupid barrier up the middle

-e

my mom's boyfriend took me to my first show in 2002, so i never did get to see the dead

but my first show was the Terrapin Station reunion show at alpine valley

which was a trip

and its been a strange one so far!

• Forum MVP
Heck, I say 35 and older.

i almost felt discriminated against until it dawned on me that i'm in that bracket :o

p.s. i didn't see any CO shows on the summer tour schedule. Must have been a typo when they posted it.

• Forum MVP
my first show was the Terrapin Station reunion show at alpine valley

which was a trip

I wonder which member of the band was responsible for deciding on the Playin>Wheel>Playin set one closer for that first show of Alpine's Terrapin Station reunion.

I wonder which member of the band was responsible for deciding on the Playin>Wheel>Playin set one closer for that first show of Alpine's Terrapin Station reunion.

Night 1's set list was:

8/3/2002 (Sat.) Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI

I: He's Gone (Instrumental) > Cryptical Envelopment > The Other One > Feel Like a Stranger, Bird Song, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Aiko Aiko, Estimated Prophet > Casey Jones

II: The Music Never Stopped, Baba Jingo, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Morning Dew, Dark Star > Born Cross-Eyed > Jam > Dark Star > Cryptical Envelopment > One More Saturday Night E: Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower

The extra long Playing was the next night, but i didnt get to go, but my younger sister went instead,

she didnt like it as much as i did

she was only like 11 years old though,

i wish they would go back out on tour, with some DSO members or something

they could pack alpine valley whenever

• Forum MVP
Night 1's set list was:

8/3/2002 (Sat.) Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI

I: He's Gone (Instrumental) > Cryptical Envelopment > The Other One > Feel Like a Stranger, Bird Song, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Aiko Aiko, Estimated Prophet > Casey Jones

II: The Music Never Stopped, Baba Jingo, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Morning Dew, Dark Star > Born Cross-Eyed > Jam > Dark Star > Cryptical Envelopment > One More Saturday Night E: Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower

The extra long Playing was the next night, but i didnt get to go, but my younger sister went instead,

she didnt like it as much as i did

she was only like 11 years old though,

i wish they would go back out on tour, with some DSO members or something

they could pack alpine valley whenever

Archived