The Electric Factory Experience

sgrmag2564

Drove up from Norfolk early Sunday with my 14 year old son in tow. We were both excited and jammed all the way up. As it wound up, he got some food poisoning somewhere along the way and had some "issues" and couldn't go to the show. I left him at the hotel with the TV remote and a double locked door and headed to Philly around 9:30. The parking lot was a blast and I have to tell you about the Police episode...kinda funny. They came around 10:15 and used their cars as shephard's horses and pushed us all to the entrance...a real party killer. I gave my extra to a kid, looked to be around 20 or so, said peace, and I thought "I hope he pays it forward some day", and headed in. The funny part is that I came out for a smoke about 20 minutes later and the party had re-assembled and was going just as strong as ever...only at a DSO Show. Well anyway, now for the music. The band was on the stage for about 3 seconds and the guy next to me said Jack Straw...How did he know that that fast? Anyway, Jack Straw was all that it has always been for me! A great opener, got us moving immediately. John, Rob and Lisa were at their emotional best and John showed that it was his show to make, and make it he did! His guitar play all night was spectacular and I enjoyed every minute of it. Dire Wolf was next and I haven't heard it in a long time...funny tho I thought about the Version on Reckoning on the way up..."Play something old" Good tune and I thought it sounded good. Cassidy...another great John Jam in the middle and that is when I first thought that they were really gonna rock tonight. TLEO...Always reminds me of my wife and I, I wished that she was there with me, she just doesn't like the music...to each his or her own. Mama Tried...There was a woman dancing near me that sang every word, and I thought it was strange because it is usually the guys that do most of the singing at the shows...at least that is what I have observed. Anyway it kept the fast pace and the dancing was getting really good now, I was finally over the fear of leaving my son at a hotel 300 miles from home. (By the way I called him 3 times before I headed back to the hotel) Me and My Uncle...I really started moving now and the floor wasn't too crowded where I was standing, so the normal dancing was in full swing. (That would change in the second set) I have heard the Dead Play this one many times and it always revs me up, and this was no exception. Loser came next, I have always loved this one...I'm a card player so the "inside straight" line has special meaning to me...as I never hit them on the card table, but I think of that line every time I play poker at one time or another. L. L. Rain...Awesome! Great love song and played well, got a chance to rest my old knees. Deal...I was thinking, Great first set as this song often closed the first set in the 80's, when I went to the bulk of my Dead Shows. So, the Let it Grow was a great bonus for me, it was one that I didn't listen to alot when I was younger, but really grew on me, I really enjoyed it and I was REALLY HAPPY with the first set! John's Jams, all the vocals were impressive and I couldn't wait for the second set.

Sampson...I knew it right away...I like all The Dead's "bible songs" and this one in particular, a great way to start the second set, and that was the first hint that this was a show after 1976...before that song I was thinkig '75 or '76. I am always wrong tho, just not that good at picking shows...but there are a few that I have been to that I would know pretty early. Candyman...I thought, here we go, always a great one live, and John was back to his first set form and jammed through this one both vocally and playing that guitar, I think I smiled the whole song, even tho the dancing had to be constricted due to the crowd...the place was packed and I thought, where were they all during the first set...The Estimated Eyes jam was incredible "knock knockin' on the golden door" I went to Yosemite last year and I remember thinkin alot about this song, and specifically, that line...Amazingly great jam all the way through. Not Fade Away...A good ol classic, the crowd seemed a little on the shy side all night...not any more...every one within eyeshot of me was boogying...and so was I! Saturday Night was the same as it always is...a real rocker and made me move into the Bliss stage and as always I smiled at the total movement of the crowd around me. I was hoping for a Brokedown but it was not to be and didn't see much of the Filler, because I was hanging around the food area with some people that were really dancing, Got my last dance on and split quick to get back to the hotel...the last 2 songs I was thinking a lot about my son.

This was the first time that I have been to a DSO show that was so crowded and I thought...the word is finally getting out. The venue was at best, adequate. It just has a funny, awkward design, and the staff, I think they have control issues, maybe they have to be that way I guess. But all that was not in my mind as the music takes me to a place of peaceful excitement. I hope everyone enjoyed the show as much as I did and I will be back to my long winded self after my next show that will probably be Bottle and Cork, Dewey Beach, DE.

Peace

Joe

Don't know yet, I looked at NLQP site yesterday and looked awesome. The best I can do is get up there early Saturday Morning and leave Sunday or very early Monday. That is Labor Day weekend, right? Maybe I should check into flights, I can probably get by with just my backpack.

• Forum MVP
Don't know yet, I looked at NLQP site yesterday and looked awesome. The best I can do is get up there early Saturday Morning and leave Sunday or very early Monday. That is Labor Day weekend, right? Maybe I should check into flights, I can probably get by with just my backpack.

its an absolute must! "theres NOTHING like the ledges." ask your buddy steve- nlqp=heaven.

dude, you HAVE TO GO.

Im flying in solo, too.... No starhead is alone at the ledges.

• Forum MVP
I can get a round trip ticket for 312. Non stop to Cleveland and try to catch a ride to nlqp Fri afternoon. When are you arriving?

still working on my travel plans... i'll keep ya updated.

looks like Gratefulfest '08 is a no go for me, I have to take my daughter back to college that weekend. I will have to watch for the dates for '09 and plan for it. My wife even said she would go with me. I took her to a couple Dead shows...Hampton, VA 1991? and Nassau Coliseum 1990. She might not get into the music as much as me...hey "if the thunder don't get ya, than the lightning will" right?

Archived