Liberty

Dancin

Help>Slip>

Drumz>

Truckin>

Foolish>

NFA

E: So Many Roads

SOooo..the entire day started with a delicious breakfast in the beautiful home of Steve and Kris in northern NJ..we departed with the idea in mind of just going up to Hunter for the DSO set..so we did just that, later on at night...myself, sue and vince, met up with steve&kris at about 12:30 am at the base of Hunter Mountain,NY (an hour and 20min ride for us and 2 hour ride for them) while Govt.Mule was still playing main stage. We walked up the hill, walked around the condo's off the right of the main building, and walked right down into the festival. no tickets. no security. just parked and walked in. no problems. Mountain Jam is a big party, a very big party. and during Truckin any 'head (Star or Dead) could tell you that that crowd was not exactly the crowd you would want at every DSO show. and during Truckin' came the GLOWSTICKS. :glow2: CLOUDS OF GLOWSTICKS. being up in the first couple rows of people and looking back at the crowd, you could see the absolute bombardment of glowsticks thrown throughout the sea of people. and the more the glowsticks flew, the more they started to be thrown, (maybe not intentionally) in the direction of the band onto the stage. and during Foolish you could see the frustration on all the members' faces as they all were literally dodging the sticks and trying to protect their equipment. (pretty sure John and Baracco both got hit) during a beautiful Foolish jam (at about 3am) they seemed to have had enough so they closed with NFA (ironically because they were getting shit whipped at them) and to keep the crowd mellow, out came the SoManyRoads, a tune I have been waiting for ever since I started seeing this band. so being in a time slot of a festival with almost no rules/security, i'm sure they would have played past their 4am slot, but I would have stopped playing at the time they did as well. I felt sorry for the band as the sticks were being tossed constantly from the Truckin to NotFade. I have nothing against glowsticks, dancing with them, moving with the light, whatever you want, just don't throw them on stage at the band!! that's an attack on the band, a disrespectful rowdy mob rule. DSO, thanks for playing so late into the night. Steve & Kris, thanks for coming up to make it happen! I made it home at 5:30 am and just woke up now ! :grouphug:

I couldn't have said it better myself, thanks for the recap Help Slip. I am glad we went to the show. It was an experience for sure. I love the thrill of sneaking into a festival of that size, brings me back, way back.

We saw Molly at the end of the set. She has one more semester of college and then she is done. She looks and sounds great. I was very happy to see her there.

The show was short but I was tired so it didn't matter all that much. I prefer a standard time slot but that was impossible because of Warren playing over and then fireworks of all things, and the waves of golwsticks were out of control. I loved Barraco's disco maniac synthesizer on Dancin, that also brought me way back, (fall of "79). Thank you DSO for four fabulous shows this week. Wish I could go up to Burlington but time won't allow it. Englewood here we come.

Love and Peace to everyone, Kris

playing a one set show from about 1:55 am to 3:20 am

Stranger

St Stephen

Liberty

Dancin

Help>Slip>

Drumz>

Truckin>

Foolish>

NFA

E: So Many Roads

SOooo..the entire day started with a delicious breakfast in the beautiful home of Steve and Kris in northern NJ..we departed with the idea in mind of just going up to Hunter for the DSO set..so we did just that, later on at night...myself, sue and vince, met up with steve&kris at about 12:30 am at the base of Hunter Mountain,NY (an hour and 20min ride for us and 2 hour ride for them) while Govt.Mule was still playing main stage. We walked up the hill, walked around the condo's off the right of the main building, and walked right down into the festival. no tickets. no security. just parked and walked in. no problems. Mountain Jam is a big party, a very big party. and during Truckin any 'head (Star or Dead) could tell you that that crowd was not exactly the crowd you would want at every DSO show. and during Truckin' came the GLOWSTICKS. :glow2: CLOUDS OF GLOWSTICKS. being up in the first couple rows of people and looking back at the crowd, you could see the absolute bombardment of glowsticks thrown throughout the sea of people. and the more the glowsticks flew, the more they started to be thrown, (maybe not intentionally) in the direction of the band onto the stage. and during Foolish you could see the frustration on all the members' faces as they all were literally dodging the sticks and trying to protect their equipment. (pretty sure John and Baracco both got hit) during a beautiful Foolish jam (at about 3am) they seemed to have had enough so they closed with NFA (ironically because they were getting shit whipped at them) and to keep the crowd mellow, out came the SoManyRoads, a tune I have been waiting for ever since I started seeing this band. so being in a time slot of a festival with almost no rules/security, i'm sure they would have played past their 4am slot, but I would have stopped playing at the time they did as well. I felt sorry for the band as the sticks were being tossed constantly from the Truckin to NotFade. I have nothing against glowsticks, dancing with them, moving with the light, whatever you want, just don't throw them on stage at the band!! that's an attack on the band, a disrespectful rowdy mob rule. DSO, thanks for playing so late into the night. Steve & Kris, thanks for coming up to make it happen! I made it home at 5:30 am and just woke up now ! :grouphug:

PLLLLEEEAASSEEE tell me it's not going to be another summer of flying glowsticks....just cant understand the mentality of it all....distacts the band from playing the music...harms their equipment - some of which is veryyyyyy expensive if not irreplaceable I'm sure - and if nothing else could seriously injure someone as it slams into their eye as they are trying to dance....arghhhhhhhhhh. Sorry for the rant

• Forum MVP

Sneaking in and not paying for shows.... to each his own...

but if that is your choice I would not broadcast it on one of the boards of bands performing at the show who hope to get paid...

and I am glad glowsticks were not around 30 years ago when I was following the Dead ... but sadly they are here to stay.... at least in the short term

but if that is your choice I would not broadcast it on one of the boards of bands performing at the show who hope to get paid...

Huh?

that also brought me way back, (fall of "79).

Hey kris, miss you guys big time....I often say that if I could time travel I would go on Fall tour 79! I love that Bobby and Brent groove. Peace and Love, Ty kelly and Jasiah

and I am glad glowsticks were not around 30 years ago when I was following the Dead ... but sadly they are here to stay.... at least in the short term

Hey Matt, I use to manage a band that did the Festival circuit. I gaurantee you DSO was paid in advance for this gig.

To be honest, when I read that I thought oh man I should have gone. LOL I had my 5 yo daughter and that wiuyld'nt have worked. Plus I'm sure these folks have paid for alot of DSO shows. So what if they got a freeby.

See you all in Bergin. :rolleyes:

• Forum MVP

I walked in that show also with out paying, got in about 1 in the morning & left after 3:30 when dso left the stage ,I wasn't gonna pay 85 bucks too see just dso ,I could give a shit about anyone else that was playing & I go to about 20 to 25 dark star shows a year & would never consider to do that if it was just a dso show. I guess we're bad examples for help slip being it was my idea. Peace----Steve

I guess we're bad examples for help slip being it was my idea. Peace----Steve

Steve&Kris,

you guys are very generous people, thank you for the many shows that you bought me a ticket for that I would not have been able to attend otherwise.

B

Just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. I love this board and I love DSO.

"I know I'm no angel

my prospects are high

as the flood line in summer

when the rivers run dry

but I'll roll up my shirtsleeves

and make my best shot

to show how I love you

believe it or not"

See you all Thursday,

Love and Peace, Kris

• Forum MVP

I too was at Mountain Jam for the entire 3 day festival. DSO was one of my main reasons for taking the 6 hour journey to the beautiful Catskill Mountains of New York state. I was bummed that they played a short set, being that they were slated to play until 4:00 am. I too was witness to the bombardment of glow sticks. It was way carried away. I think that glow sticks can be great especially for those slightly altered at events like this one, but throwing them too close to the stage is definitely not a good thing. I left the day wondering if the glow sticks had something to do with DSO cutting their time slot short. ? ? ? All in all, it was a great weekend, and the weather held out with the exception of one 30 minute downpour. Thanks again to Dark Star Orchestra for being there. Hope people may wake up to realize that glow sticks and vintage Dead equipment don't mix. Let's keep the flying sticks off the agenda. Wave them around and show us the trails, but pleeeease don't toss them around carelessly!

• Forum MVP

How the band feels about Glow Sticks and this incident in particular: :icon13: Glow sticks are for dancing with ... not throwing. We realize throwing glow sticks has been popular at other bands shows but we don't like it. It's hard to concentrate on playing music when you are dodging glow sticks. ...Thinking about printing up shirts for the merch table "Glow sticks are for dancing ... not throwing".

And remember .... it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And also remember ... if you have to use glow sticks for a trippy dancing device .... that's fine and fun. Just properly dispose of or recycle (if possible) when through.

• Advisory Board
it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And also remember ... if you have to use glow sticks for a trippy dancing device .... that's fine and fun. Just properly dispose of or recycle (if possible) when through.

Well said, Dino...

• Forum MVP

What Dino and Herdy said. Being as I'm into trippy trails and my own personal portable light show, I appreciate the time and place for glowsticks. And that is as late-night art and road signs at the Ledges.

• Forum MVP

...still hoping somebody uploads the DSO set from Mountain Jam... if anyone has the recording, I would love to get it.

other acts that are already up on archive.org:

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals

http://www.archive.org/details/gpn2008-05-30.me80.flac

Umphreys McGee

http://www.archive.org/details/um2008-05-30.mk41.flac16

RatDog

http://www.archive.org/details/rd2008-06-0...c11-mix.flac16f

As for the sneaking-in issue (Username: dancin on a pin) You should know that what you are doing is stealing. And trespassing. The Home Team street team families are watching the perimeters of festival grounds all summer long with night vision and LED distance night vision tools that can actually see heat. You may have made it into this last festival, but we play the numbers game too and follow the orders of the property owners as to what to do with people who do this. You might want to tell your whole crew that is just not worth it. I have seen some terrible things happen this summer already to people who chose to sneak in. You might consider either paying for the entertainment, choosing to volunteer, or just going someplace you can afford. Good luck.

Peace.

:dsorocks:

OR....if the festival does not provide a reasonable priced pass for those arriving at midnight for a 1 1/2 hr set and then leaving then they deserve to be robbed of there full value festy price and tresspassed by the old school GDers that are coming in for the GD and thats it. Sneaking in to a festival for a quick in and out for the one act your after is allowed and promoted. Never pay the whole festival price for the one set of music that you are after. In fact, charging for the whole weekend when your going for one set is stealing from the patrons. I think generally festivals are a great place to sneak into....

Grateful Dead played a great place in Ill. once for Brents last shows... Problem is they only played there once . Why ? Cause a bunch of people felt they were entitled to music that they in fact were not entitled to . They needed tickets, didnt have them, and snuck in . The Dead never played there again.

Grateful Dead played a great place in Ill. once for Brents last shows... Problem is they only played there once . Why ? Cause a bunch of people felt they were entitled to music that they in fact were not entitled to . They needed tickets, didnt have them, and snuck in . The Dead never played there again.

There is a big diference between gate crashing and walking in without needing a ticket. I was in Deer Creek in 95 without a ticket and asked the gate kid to take the stub from the previous show and he did. Thank god because it did not look fun out there when the kids started to crash the gates. That was really lame to lose the next two nights of such a great venue (and to be choking on tear gas inside the show). Gate crashers suck!

• Forum MVP

You can't be talking about Tinely Park? I had always assumed they didn't play there again because it was the worst concert venue in the history of the world--not just in terms of sound but you could actually have 5th row seats that were so far to the left of right you couldn't see the whole stage. It didn't help that place when the band came out and said it was one of the worst sounding venues they had ever played.

Here's a clip from my hometown paper, the Chicago Tribune:

"The Tinley Park venue

• Forum MVP
lets not forget children at the more family-friendly festivals. Light is helpful!

Everything has already been said there is to say about how wrong it is to chuck projectiles (such as glowsticks) into crowded areas. Suffice it to say, most venues have adopted rules where you can be thrown out for such an infraction. Festivals are a little more problematic. Their security is hired, everything is temporary, and the tent cities can be quite hard to police.

Still, many of the 2008 festivals and their promoters have adopted some new strategies to avoid this safety and insurance liability issue (Some strategies include covert-ops security and making examples out of people.) You might save your neighbors the trouble of dealing with the problems they create by throwing glowsticks by kindly explaining to them why it is wrong to throw objects at unsuspecting dancers and performers.

Now.

As for the sneaking-in issue (Username: dancin on a pin) You should know that what you are doing is stealing. And trespassing. The Home Team street team families are watching the perimeters of festival grounds all summer long with night vision and LED distance night vision tools that can actually see heat. You may have made it into this last festival, but we play the numbers game too and follow the orders of the property owners as to what to do with people who do this. You might want to tell your whole crew that is just not worth it. I have seen some terrible things happen this summer already to people who chose to sneak in. You might consider either paying for the entertainment, choosing to volunteer, or just going someplace you can afford. Good luck.

Peace.

:dsorocks:

TP,

I hope there's some irony- sarcasm in here... it's late, and I can't tell...

Archived