Falls Church '08

Dstone5553

• Forum MVP

just got the text...

12-27-91 Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, Ca. (Fri)

1: Cold Rain, Rooster, TLEO, Mama Tried> Mexicali, Loose Lucy, Memphis Blues, Stagger Lee, Music

2: Scarlet> Fire> L. L. Rain> Terrapin> Drumz> Wheel> Watchtower> Black Peter> Around E: Baby Blue

without Bruce Hornsby

Filler: Passenger>Bid U Goodnight

just got the text...

12-27-91 Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, Ca. (Fri)

1: Cold Rain, Rooster, TLEO, Mama Tried> Mexicali, Loose Lucy, Memphis Blues, Stagger Lee, Music

2: Scarlet> Fire> L. L. Rain> Terrapin> Drumz> Wheel> Watchtower> Black Peter> Around E: Baby Blue

without Bruce Hornsby

Don't know the filler...

i was at the original show. did the whole new year's run. i drove down from seattle to san fran (14 hours!)

bill graham had died in october. it was the dead's last new year's eve shows. :(

• Forum MVP
bill graham had died in october. it was the dead's last new year's eve shows. :(

These shows were such low energy compared to the October Oakland run, which I attributed to Bill's passing. Culminating with the New Years show not even sporting a double encore, much less a 3rd set. And then the musical disaster that was Spring Tour '92. Hard not to conclude that when Bill checked out a great toll was taken on the Dead.

These shows were such low energy compared to the October Oakland run, which I attributed to Bill's passing. Culminating with the New Years show not even sporting a double encore, much less a 3rd set. And then the musical disaster that was Spring Tour '92. Hard not to conclude that when Bill checked out a great toll was taken on the Dead.

agreed. don't forget garcia's health, too. fall tour was cancelled due to his enlarged heart.

btw-bill died the day after my bday. it sucked. :(

agree with you John A - the passing of Bill was a big blow to the band, i always thought that Bill was the only man that could get through to Garcia

Spring tour '92 was the lowest of lows, didn't get that bad again until spring/summer '95

• Forum MVP
agree with you John A - the passing of Bill was a big blow to the band,

As John mentioned....the shows immediately after Bill's death were some of the best post Brent (especially the first one, even though the last one gets all the ink) but NYE was Bill's thing and apparently it was only because of him that they agreed to do it every year. Funny how now Phil and Weir are back playing NYE.

Many of the BGP people were wearing pins with Bill's pic that said Saint of Circumstance that night. I remember flying into OAK and seeing everyone gathered in front of the bar TV watching the report on the helicopter crash. Such a needless tragedy and such a blow to SF.

10-27-91 Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, Ca. (Sun)

1: Sugar Magnolia> Sugaree, Walking Blues, Althea, Masterpiece, Candyman, Cassidy, Touch

2: China Cat> I Know You Rider, Samson, Ship Of Fools, Iko Iko*> Mona*> Drumz> Wheel> Miracle> Wharf Rat> Good Lovin E: Heaven's Door

*with Carlos Santana and Gary Duncanfinal/last "Mona": 03-25-72 [1309]

"I found Emmylou and the Nash Ramblers in 1990 "

Yo Matt, I saw Emmylou for the FIRST time last week at Red Rocks. What took me so long? She opened for John Prine whom I'd never seen either. Had a great relaxed night. She came out and helped out on a few John Prine tunes, most notably Angel From Montgomery. That alone was worth the price of admission. 5th row dead center, from there it was a very intimate show.

• Forum MVP

Spring 92 was still "learning the ropes" for me. In fact, I daresay that I was still learning the ropes even through my first 2-5 DSO shows. Only my second year at Nelson did I feel like I really was dialed in.

I went to a fair number of shows in 89, 90, and 91, and at the time I thought I was pretty savvy, but longer perspective reveals the "mis" of that misconception. Much like high school, if I knew then what I know now, I likely would never have graduated.

Anyway, I remember quite clearly the overwhelming sense of relief at Soldier '92 when, after a perfunctory Bucket opener; after Jerry did a Peggy-O that just glowed with possibility; after Bob answered with a "Same Thing" that prowled and skulked around the stadium casting chills up and down every spine. human and concrete alike; after the surprisingly rockin Loose Lucy; after the rollicking Mexicali>Maggie's; after the mind-bending Tennessee Jed; after the don't-care-if-you-don't-like-it-here-it-is-anyway-bucke-up Picasso Moon; and after a setbreak filled with the usual kinds of adventures...

BEST CORINNA EVER

followed by a breathtaking Crazy Fingers, a B3-ful Playin', the "How DOES the Song Go?" UJB, a Wharf Rat with an outtro that melted my heart, and the first time I remember hearing "Money Green, it's the only way", which is the moment that just knocked me over with its obviousness and clarity.

Long Live Bob Weir!!!!

...and that Weight encore was mighty pleasant too. >sigh<

The whole place was glowing with the knowledge that Jerry Still Could!

• Forum MVP
Spring 92 was still "learning the ropes" for me. In fact, I daresay that I was still learning the ropes even through my first 2-5 DSO shows. Only my second year at Nelson did I feel like I really was dialed in.

I went to a fair number of shows in 89, 90, and 91, and at the time I thought I was pretty savvy, but longer perspective reveals the "mis" of that misconception. Much like high school, if I knew then what I know now, I likely would never have graduated.

Anyway, I remember quite clearly the overwhelming sense of relief at Soldier '92 when, after a perfunctory Bucket opener; after Jerry did a Peggy-O that just glowed with possibility; after Bob answered with a "Same Thing" that prowled and skulked around the stadium casting chills up and down every spine. human and concrete alike; after the surprisingly rockin Loose Lucy; after the rollicking Mexicali>Maggie's; after the mind-bending Tennessee Jed; after the don't-care-if-you-don't-like-it-here-it-is-anyway-bucke-up Picasso Moon; and after a setbreak filled with the usual kinds of adventures...

BEST CORINNA EVER

followed by a breathtaking Crazy Fingers, a B3-ful Playin', the "How DOES the Song Go?" UJB, a Wharf Rat with an outtro that melted my heart, and the first time I remember hearing "Money Green, it's the only way", which is the moment that just knocked me over with its obviousness and clarity.

Long Live Bob Weir!!!!

...and that Weight encore was mighty pleasant too. >sigh<

The whole place was glowing with the knowledge that Jerry Still Could!

Most people remember the night before with Cotton reminding the old schoolers of the Pigpen days...

06-25-92 Soldier Field, Chicago, Il. (Thu)

1: Bertha> Greatest, West L. A., Me & My Uncle> Big River, Ramble On, Masterpiece, B. E. Women> Music

2: Iko Iko, Schoolgirl**, Way To Go, Saint> He's Gone> Drumz> Wheel> So Many Roads> Watchtower> Lovelight** E: Gloria**

**with James Cotton on harmonica - last "Schoolgirl": 08-22-87 [374]

...but how cool is it that your magic was the night after!

06-26-92 Soldier Field, Chicago, Il. (Fri)

1: Bucket, Peggy-O, Same Thing, Loose Lucy, Mexicali> Maggie's Farm, Tennessee Jed, Picasso Moon

2: Corinna> Crazy Fingers, Playin> Uncle John> Drumz> Miracle> Wharf Rat> Throwing Stones> NFA E: The Weight

It's a reminder that shows are so case-specific to the person witnessing them.

It wasnt that bad.....just inconsistent.....I went to 5 shows that Spring......The Nassau run was pedestrian and at times awful.....But the 2 shows at the Cap center were great.....I didnt really see the deterioration that would plague 94-95 until the fall of 1993....

agree with you John A - the passing of Bill was a big blow to the band, i always thought that Bill was the only man that could get through to Garcia

Spring tour '92 was the lowest of lows, didn't get that bad again until spring/summer '95

really?....I thought the summer of 1994 was downright awful.....

• Forum MVP
It wasnt that bad.....just inconsistent.....I went to 5 shows that Spring......The Nassau run was pedestrian and at times awful.....But the 2 shows at the Cap center were great.....I didnt really see the deterioration that would plague 94-95 until the fall of 1993....

To be sure, there was a resurgence after Spring Tour '92 before the final slide to the end. Too bad Jerry couldn't have been more emphatic about the need to stop the constant touring, but the machine was what it was and ultimately only his death could stop it.

Archived