Bonnaroo, Did Anyone Go?

Mohammad

Guest GRTUD

This year's GR(OO)TUD Golden Award for best performance at Bonnaroo 2008 goes to (none other than) Dark Star Orchestra! Incredible performance that included the most psychedelic rendition of "Alligator" I've EVER heard - in my life!

One might ask which (or what) performances DSO beat out for this award. Well, they included Phil's very, very good late night show on Saturday night (cut short by the Kayne West schedule change - no comment at this time in regards to that situation and subsequent show), My Morning Jacket's 4 + hour, "Bone Bruising" performance (a different award I give out each year), Peale Jam's awesome main stage performance, ditto for Metallica, Raconteurs, B.B. King, Jack Johnson, Robert Plant and Friends & the best Widespread Panic show I've ever seen to close the festival, featuring Robert Randolph for two songs ("Soul Machine" was off the charts!) during the second set. DSO also beat out Les Claypool's Which stage, mid afternoon performance, although I'm told I missed a great Super Jam, featuring Les, a fact I'll be needing professional help dealing with, in the near future (a fact of life @ Bonnaroo, unfortunately). Speaking of Robert Randolph, he also had a great set, during which he earned GR(OO)TUD's "Super Hero" award for his assessment of Mr. West's "Glow in the Dark" show.

Well that's the report from Bonnaroo and I must say, despite getting older and slower with age, I'm actually improving, if one chooses to believe the claim. I had one of the best times of my adult life thanks, in large part to DSO's amazing festival opening show and the awesome company I kept the entire weekend. Thanks to Evan and everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived