Show Last Night

Guest Cosmic  Craig

Guest Cosmic  Craig

Missed the beginning of the show. Parking hassels etc. What did they open with? Got to the show RIGHT before Friend of the Devil. The first set continued with- Big River, Brown-eyed Woman, All Over Now, Scarlet Begonias, and Promised Land. Only my opinion, but, it seemed like it took DSO awhile to get going. However, set 2 wasted NO time. Samson, Help/Slip/Tower> Dancin'> Drums> The Wheel>Ship of Fools>Dancin'>GDTRFB>Dancin'. Then brought out Kenny Withrow of New Bohemians fame for Not Fade Away.

Samson and Help/Slip/Tower were especially amazing. Great show. See them when they come your way.

Guest skottymac

The opener was Bertha. For my money, they were firing on all cylinders right out of the gate. I closed my eyes, and I could of sworn it was Winterland 1977.

I haven't had so much fun since...well, since the last DSO show!

Really fabulous. That kind of vibe in a room full of strangers is a rare and beautiful thing in these parts. I never got to see the Dead, but I feel like I've experienced a very good approximation of it. I was sorely tempted to follow them down to Austin!

The only downside was the venue staff hunting down folks in the audience during the show. You'd catch a whiff in the air, and sure as the sun sets the flashlight patrol was on the case. I wonder if those folks ended up busted...It sure gets to wearin' thin.

Thanks for the magic, DSO. Keep it coming!

Guest foolishheart

The show was 10/01/76 from Indianapolis......my first time to see DSO and the Dallas HOB. Can't say I'm crazy about the HoB; but we had comfortable balcony seats and it wasn't packed up there. Really wish I'd been down on the floor but my friend couldn't stand that long.

Thought it was a great setlist:

Bertha

Mama Tried

Deal

Cassidy

Friend of the Devil

Big River

Brown Eyed Woman

All Over Now

Scarlet Begonias

Promised Land

Might as Well

Sampson

Help-Slipknot-Franklins

Dancing-Drums-Ship of Fools-Dancing

GDTRFB

One More Saturday Night

US Blues

Kenny Withrow has been playing in a local Dallas theater and would have done a show there before coming over here. He's lead guitar in a band that plays in Neil Young's Greendale. The play is at the Undermain Theater down in Deep Ellum and is a great show. Kenny and the bass player and drummer do a great job supporting the cast that sings the whole thing just as Neil put it together. If you're in the area, give it a try.

• Forum MVP

10.1.76 ... wow

onto to Dallas, bad bad traffic out of Oklahoma City. the entire second set was just amazing, every transition was flowing with incredible energy, HelpSlipFrank was out of this world, Dancin and GDTRFB were as well...beautiful House of Blues, absolutely perfect sound, great great dancing space with chuck, james, jordan...its nice having a hotel room one block away

Thanks for the reviews all, especially kind for those of us stuck to the day job requirements but still living electronically with the tour de force!

Here! Hear! I can just envision it, taste it, & can barely wait to hear it and dance with ye'all. Gratitude from the homestead--while holding down the fort I can still get a taste~thanks!!! Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside thinkin' ab't it. The morning birds are singing sweetly as the crows talk proudly. The jays are bold & seemingly cynical.

that was all i had to say....... :wub:

• Forum MVP
Here! Hear! I can just envision it, taste it, & can barely wait to hear it and dance with ye'all. Gratitude from the homestead--while holding down the fort I can still get a taste~thanks!!! Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside thinkin' ab't it. The morning birds are singing sweetly as the crows talk proudly. The jays are bold & seemingly cynical.

that was all i had to say....... :wub:

Something like a bird within you sings! Til we meet again at the Fillmore - sure missed ya at SD/LA!! :wub:

• Forum MVP

okay some clarification- i thought kenny played really well... he was awesome.. i truly loved seeing him up there.. but i never saw him take a solo in NFA>who do you love> NFA... maybe he did, but i thought i only saw jk noodling out solos during the first part of the filler. i could be totally wrong..

Hey Now!

J Folks, that was a truly in depth and well said review that I heartily endorse...

except for that little bit about how Kenny "didn't really add much"...

What??

Please don't be offended, and I do appreciate how you noticed him "Shine."

Kenny has a low key posture, but he is a first class guitarist in my opinion who really knows the Grateful Dead Groove.

I am a local Dallas Deadhead and have been blessed to hear Kenny play many many times over the years. I must say that even if he was sound asleep you could put a guitar in his hands and Kenny would take you soaring. Its always a treat.

So , while I honestly couldn't distinguish between JK and Kenny in the NFA>WDYL>NFA, I am very confident the two were holding their own and then some. How awesome to be there to hear those two jam together with that band on that stage.

Was that not sensational?!

Was anybody really expecting

or has anybody ever heard

Not Fade Away slip into Who Do You Love like that before??!!

Any other thoughts? Yay or Nay

For me, that was a legendary moment.

Also.

Hats off to all you fanatics who have determined to follow Dark Star and to mingle here on this forum the way you do. I really admire your deadication. You make the show even more enjoyable, and add seasoning to the memory in this discussion.

Somebody please tell me,

Who was that guy who looked like Jerry standing in front of the stage?

Finally...

Thank YOU

For a Really Good Time !

• Forum MVP

I thought that Kenny added a really nice touch and the whole groove was just really tight!! I know what Jordan's saying though, I don't really think Kenny stepped up and took his turn with a ripping solo, and JK certainly did. i thought that JK and Kenny's sounds blended very very nicely and the whole encore was just amazing!

I could be totally wrong too !

...at least I ain't often right...

But thanks for giving me furthur enlightenment JFolks.

I agree that Kenny was playing the second fiddle, and rightfully so.

I will also add that if you're watching Kenny play he is generally standing still with a little smile on his face.

You have to watch his fingers if you want to See the energy he is pouring out.

Just my personal perception.

I am still curious...

Has anybody ever seen NFA slip into Who Do You Love before?

They made such a seamless transition that night that it seemed like those two songs were meant for each other. Yet it took me totally by surprise.

Peace

Archived