Flagstaff, Az

HelpSlip

• Forum MVP

Orpheum Theater, Flagstaff, AZ

Spectrum, Philly

1: Shakedown, Rooster, Peggy-O, Queen Jane, Bird Song> Music

2: China Cat> I Know You Rider, Ship Of Fools> Woman Smarter> Terrapin> Drumz> Gimme Some Lovin> Watchtower> Black Peter> Around> Good Lovin

E: U. S. Blues

Filler: Walk in the Sunshine, Sittin On Top

from our brother doing the whole tour: "it was hands down the highest best tribal dancing energy in a long time"

he said that the crowd made it really awesome, dancing hard and powerful

thanks James! see you next weekend! keep on truckin' !

Guest billygoatgruff

I went to the show with my wife and a good buddy. It had been a while since DSO had been to Flagstaff, and we were all excited to see the show. On the way in, we talked about what songs we would like to hear. My wife wanted a China>Rider, my buddy wanted a Peggy-O, and I was in the mood for a Shakedown. The setlist played out to a T. We got in and down on the floor about five "rows" back and center stage.

The Shakedown start got this show swinging, and the rest of the show just kept on going. The Lil Red Rooster had some wicked, slick slide. Then they pulled off a smooth Peggy-O and Queen Jane followed by a lofty Bird Song that led into a jumpy Music.

The second set popped off with a bouncy China that slipped right into a powerful Rider. Ship was bold and sincear in light of our current polical climate. The Women was fun, and the Terripan smoked and melted into Drumz that were dazzeling, erie, and blazing. The Gimme>Watchtower was great outta the Drumz, then the Black Peter took down the tempo just to the right degree and screamed at the end. Around>Good Lovin put smiles on faces, and I am sure aided in a flip-flop or two blow out: I am looking around for a retread to nail to my shoe. The U.S. Blues was poppy and fun. The fillers were great b/c noone wanted the music to stop. We all just wanted to keep on dancin'.

My wife and I slipped out the back exit through the back stage. We thanked Lisa and Rob E. Lisa was on the couch smiling, and Rob was walking off the stage looking wide-eyed and happy.

What a night!! My legs and smile are still a little sore from soaring during this show.

• Forum MVP
from our brother doing the whole tour: "it was hands down the highest best tribal dancing energy in a long time"

he said that the crowd made it really awesome, dancing hard and powerful

thats good to hear, because the dancing was really lacking at the other SW shows... us starheads were basically the only dancers.. despite great music and energy coming from the band, this really detracted from my experience.. Colorado last april really raised the bar... man, if i ever go to San Fran, i doubt i'd ever leave...

I was definitely at the original Dead show at the Spectrum in October '89, would have loved to hear Dark Star Orchestra play the show again. Hope it makes it up on the archive! Good tunes and sounds like a real good time! DSO Rocks!

I was at the original too. In fact, it was my final GD show ever. The whole scene just started to go down hill around that time.

Cal Expo shows of 1989 with the Cumberland> Rider combo

It was actually a Playin'>Rider combo. It's definitely one of the best later versions of Rider you'll hear (I just heard that show recently on the Sirius GD Channel).

I agree that '89 was a strong year, especially with the introduction of the MIDI rigs; they made a number of tunes more interesting. While the scene may have become a bit tiresome around that time, I actually think the music remained really strong through '91. I'm a huge fan of Hornsby's tenure with the Dead. He added a lot of texture to those shows (especially during jams and in between tunes), blended well vocally with the band, and gave Garcia another lead instrument to work with. After Hornsby left, things became inconsistent, though you can still find good stuff right up to the end.

I guess going "down hill" was a bit of an overstatement. The music was still strong for the most part, and there were certainly several gems of shows that year. I suppose what I meant was that during '89 I started to get tired of the rest of the scene. It really had changed substantially from what it was when I started seeing shows in '74, and not for the better, IMO. Also in '89 I was starting to get long in the tooth and had to slow down a bit. B)

Archived