Gear Forum

Guest rowjimmy

Guest rowjimmy

From time-to-time, there have been forum topics regarding the gear the Grateful Dead used over the years, DSO gear used to recreate that sound, other artists' use of certain guitars, amps, percussion, keyboards, electronics, vocals, etc. to create a certain tone and feel. In this sub forum, whether you have a casual interest or are a professional musician, we'll have the opportunity to discuss the tools our favorite musicians use to bring the music alive.

If you play an instrument yourself, you are also welcome to share your experiences including links to audio and video clips. Music is the universal language and the gear that's used helps us communicate that much easier. We hope you enjoy it. Peace.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DEAD HEAD

I'm a drummer and I play killer set of Pearl Reference drums.I went to Pearl because of the construction quality and the shell ply and wood combo's they used to give each drum the distinct sound they have ...I find it easy to switch between jazz and rock with these drums and I was wondering what attracted Dino to Noble and Cooley and Rob to GMS...and here is a pic me on my kit...one at age 12 and one at age 48... For some reason I think I was a better drummer at 12 :P

gallery_3954_101_24472.jpggallery_3954_101_49326.jpg

• Forum MVP

nice looking set Mike. A Zildjian man after my own heart. At the peak of my drumming stage of my life, I had over 1400 invested in Zildjians. ...love that vest in your 12-year-old photo man, cool indeed! Great looking set of Pearls you have there man. Rock on~! I used to own a very nice early 70's Ludwig kit with 24" kick drum... 12" and 14" rack toms and 16" and 18" floor toms. I also had a cool Roland Handsonic electronic drum machine. If you have never experienced one, you need to check one out at the closest Guitar Center or other comparable music store that carries them. 600 digital sounds, 15 pads, and you play it with your hands. Of course, I also added the Roland high-hat controller pedal and a DW-5000 kick pedal with the Roland kick drum trigger. It was a blast!

Guest DEAD HEAD

Bernie if you ever make it out to NJ I'll let you to her for a ride :) I've played them all and this kit KICKS ASS, the tone, resonance and construction quality are just what I've been looking for most of my drumming life ...

and the vest always gets rave revues :huh::P:D;):):dsorocks:

Guest rowjimmy

Gotta love the vest Brother....I miss the Osmond days gone by. Looks like it would still fit you though which is more than I can say.

Do you play publically at all?

Peace

Jonah is $20 away from his Electric Guitar and Amp set. Local place here in town, Robb's Boulder Music has a Fender's Bullet Strat for $99 and a 10-watt amp for $59. How can ya go wrong for $159?

I don't think you can go wrong for that price. How excited is he to getting started?

Guest DEAD HEAD

Gotta love the vest Brother....I miss the Osmond days gone by. Looks like it would still fit you though which is more than I can say.

Do you play publically at all?

Peace

It was kind of an Osmond thing ( vest ) we had going on back then . I wish I had the whole picture then you would see my band mates jamming along with me and I'm almost positve we were playing wipe out when that pic was taken (1972-73). :)

I havent played publically or with even a garage band in a very long time ,just me and my head phones , drumming has kind of evolved to be more of a hobby these days . I am thinking about it though and if I do it would be a jazz lounge lizard sort of Bobby -RatDog thing , I'm a big jazz fan...

If I get something going maybe I could open for DSO someday ... ;):dsorocks:

See you at the shows Brother ...Peace,Mike

Guest DEAD HEAD
Squier Affinity Series electric guitar is now in the hands of Jonah Hendrix....help!
Monumental happening in a youngsters life :) ...How old is Jonah and is he taking lessons ?

• Forum MVP
Monumental happening in a youngsters life :) ...How old is Jonah and is he taking lessons ?

He'll be 14 in a month. He did take lessons a few years back but stopped. He gets online each night and watches instructional videos off of youtube and I'm in the process of downloading some "guitar for dummies" stuff. I sent Daniella (nudge nudge) an email this afternoon to see if she might have some time to pass on some lifelong guitar skills to the youngen.

Guest DEAD HEAD

I would recommend 30 minutes a week of instruction from a teacher to develop a good foundation (reading music etc.)... I've been playing the drums for quite a while now and I still take lessons ,they help to keep me busy and out of trouble... :)

Guest DEAD HEAD

Tell Jonah Mike said Deadication, practice,practice,practice and before you know it he'll be packing the house with adoring fans and chicks always dig the guitar player...

Guest rowjimmy

I have to agree on the lesson recommendation. A couple of early lessons will set Jonah on the right path so it won't be painful to unlearn bad habits later. I am excited for him.

Here is the Fretboard learning tool I mentioned to you earlier. I also am finding it easier to learn where each position of the same notes are, i.e. all the C's D's etc., instead of sliding down the board and memorizing the note on a particular string but everyone learns differently.

Absolute Fretboard

and another

Fretboard Master

Peace

Guest DEAD HEAD
I have to agree on the lesson recommendation. A couple of early lessons will set Jonah on the right path so it won't be painful to unlearn bad habits later. I am excited for him.

Here is the Fretboard learning tool I mentioned to you earlier. I also am finding it easier to learn where each position of the same notes are, i.e. all the C's D's etc., instead of sliding down the board and memorizing the note on a particular string but everyone learns differently.

Absolute Fretboard

Peace

Right on ... Bad habits come on fast and are extremely hard to break...Also a good teacher will help to keep a young musician grounded and humble and teach him or her to always remember we are part of the band ,not the band , its a partnership hence band mates . A great musician knows how to stay in the pocket and enhance the music not overpower it ...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DEAD HEAD

Dave, how is Jonah doing with his new guitar :) and how is the household doing with Jonah and his new guitar ;) .I'm sure I drove my family nuts when I first started playing drums but they were always very supportive ...

• Forum MVP

...funny thing about driving my family nuts. My father passed away when I was only 12 years old, and my mother raised me from that point on. She bought me my first drumset at 13 and also bought me my first bass guitar when I was 15. She supported my musical career for over 35 years. I gotta say, I remember playing the drum solo from In-A-Godda-Da-Vida by heart sometimes daily and rocking out with Aerosmith Rocks album as loud as my stereo would go... and ya know what, she never once even complained. Of course after some 33 years of playing professionally, she would always call me on wintery days and say, are you sure you should drive all the way to Niagara Falls tonight to play?! ...she always knew my gig schedule each week. She's still kicking at 87 years old, and asked me just today if I have been playing any music? Parents - be as supportive as you can with young musicians! you never know where their musical careers may take them.

Guest DEAD HEAD

" be as supportive as you can with young musicians! you never know where their musical careers may take them "

How right you are Bernie ...When we finally meet the Diet Pepsi is on me my Brother ... :):headbang::dsorocks:

• Band Member

Just seeing this forum for the first time.

A quick answer to your question about my drums. At the time I was ready to step up in quality, I wanted a Gretsch kit SO BAD! Only problem was, they weren't seeling any lacquer kits, because of problems with the EPA. I didn't want a wrapped kit, so I waited, and waited, and waited. After about a year, they still weren't back online with Lacquered kits, or there was a year long waiting list, or something. I was at my local shop, Drum Headquarters, and a rep came in with a GMS 10" tom. I loved the look, sound, everything, and to boot, the shell was made by the same company who makes Gretsch shells.

Bought a full kit. It was everything I wanted, for any situation I was playing in. Perfect. Bought a few more, became and endorser and the rest as they say...............

• Forum MVP
Dave, how is Jonah doing with his new guitar :) and how is the household doing with Jonah and his new guitar ;) .I'm sure I drove my family nuts when I first started playing drums but they were always very supportive ...

He is so loving it and believe it or not, but is being very respectful with the volume of his amp. He plays everyday, visits tons of guitar sites, and is really showing me something. I contacted about 5 different guitar teachers in the area, all offer a free lesson, so that we can find the right fit for him. There's even a teacher who regularly plays with Yonder Mountain when they're in town. Get this...he's not watched any TV since the electric guitar came home!

Archived