Taping Technical Help

Herdygerdy

• Advisory Board

So, I've been thinking about taping for many years... I don't have much technology know-how when it comes to this certain area. I'd love some suggestions on beginners setup, cost, how it works, ect....

I go to so many shows, and there's a TON of them which I wish I had a copy of the show, so why not make my own? Is it worth the money? Any information, or opinions are welcome..

Thanks!

• Forum MVP

I used to tape back in the old days following the Grateful Dead. Back then, we were using Sony D-5 and D-6 cassette recorders. Technology has really come full circle today into the forefront in the world of digital recorders in small portable field units. One company that really stands out in the world of live concert recording is: Oade Brothers Audio. They specialize in portable live sound recorders and also do some modifications to them especially to capture live concert sound. Their website is www.oade.com. I have been checking into recorders for almost a year now, thinking about once again investing in a good field recorder. I have done considerable research and come to the conclusion that for features, easability of use, and cost - I am leaning towards the Marantz PMD-670. Of course microphones make all the difference in the world also. The high end world uses mostly Schoeps mics and some are still using old school Nakamichi mics. When I checked into Oade Brothers originally they offered me a good package deal on a good entry level set of microphones with the Marantz PMD-670. They were offering the Marantz PMD-670 with Oade Basic Concert Modification + two (2) AKG C1000-S microphones for around $825 including shipping. You can check out the features and specs of the Marantz PMD-670 at this link on the Oade Brothers website. http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard...rs/PMD-670.html Go onto Oade Brother site and take a look around, and feel free to e-mail them any questions also. They are very receptive to inquiries and seem like a great bunch of guys. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on anything else you find out. Of course, the sky is the limit as far as how much you want to spend. I have recently seen a few people using: Sound Devices Model 744-T 4-channel portable HD recorder - these sell for around $4095! ...and then they are using a pair of microphones, say Schoeps with values around $3000 per mic. So, you do the math, these folks are running $10,000 portable live sound recording rigs. Nice! ...and you know the quality of the shows they capture are out-of-this-world. But, I have heard shows that were taped on the AKG C1000-S mics and they are not all that bad. So, for the $825 price tag for mics and Marantz recorder, its a lot easier on the wallet. Of course, you still need to add a tall mic stand, and the Shure model that most folks use, runs around $175 and you will need to throw in a couple mic cables. Good luck, hope some of this info helps you out too. Have a grate day~

i just bought an edirol R-4 all in one (pre amp and analog/digital converter) for $750 unmodded

i'll send it to get the xlr in's modded for $250 or so and add a bigger HD....80 gig and i'm golden

i am selling my edirol UA-5 (preamp and a/d converter)

and my iriver 20 gig HD .wav recorder

both for $500

..add a set of oktava mics (what i have)around $250 and a set of $60 cables, a really good $75 stand can be had easily and yer good to go...

Archived