Ron "pigpen" Mckernan

Guest rowjimmy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rowjimmy

I picked up Lightnin' Hopkins and Mississippi John Hurt disks last week as they were mentioned in Scully's book and Greenfield's book Dark Star about Garcia. I am still searching for McKernan's early influences though.

• 11 months later...

Pigpen <<->> Janis Joplin

who influenced who ?

The whole way of intonation and modulation of Pigpen reminds me of Janis Joplin and/or vice versa. Of course they knew each other very well. I'm not sure how close they were for real. Who knows more ?

• 9 months later...

Pigpen <<->> Janis Joplin

who influenced who ?

The whole way of intonation and modulation of Pigpen reminds me of Janis Joplin and/or vice versa. Of course they knew each other very well. I'm not sure how close they were for real. Who knows more ?

I believe they were dating for a brief period of time although allegedly he didn't treat her very well. And apparently they were both thinking about each other while they sang about their love lives.

tumblr_kyb3k0oecv1qb53dqo1_400.jpg

The Lovelight has Janis: http://www.archive.org/details/gd69-06-07.sbd.kaplan.9074.sbeok.shnf

The only other Janis show (I believe): http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-07-16.sbd.clugston.6485.sbeok.shnf

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've put together a tribute hat to the man, heres a couple of picturesP1010003.jpgP101k0001.jpgP1010007.jpgP1010001.jpgP1010006.jpg

Hi there, friend. Might I just say that this tribute hat of yours is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. As a young harp player Pigpen is an enormous influence on both my plying and singing. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind sharing the details of the hat? (i.e. brand, where you got it, IF AND HOW I CAN MAKE ONE OF MY OWN!) :) thanks so much, it's greatly appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Archived