Princeton

NJJohn

Boston Garden 6/28/1974

set 1

Mississippi Half Step-> It Must Have Been The Roses-> Jack Straw, Beat It On Down The Line, Deal, Mexicali Blues, Tennessee Jed, Me And Bobby McGee, Loose Lucy, El Paso, Sugaree, Around & Around

set 2

Sugar Magnolia-> Scarlet Begonias, Big River, To Lay Me Down, Me & My Uncle, Row Jimmy, Weather Report Suite Prelude-> Weather Report Suite Part 1-> Let It Grow-> jam->U.S. Blues-> Promised Land-> Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad-> Sunshine Daydream, E: Ship of Fools

Filler Mr Charlie

I love this era of Dead shows so I thought it was great as usual. This was my 4th DSO show and was equally as good as the others. McCarter is such a nice venue, it sounded great!

Met CNJbrian, dancin on a pin, and nwnjsteve which was also very cool.

What a great night! Princeton is just such a beautiful setting, and the McCarter Theatre is a great venue for DSO! They like it there, and it shows. The second set was really just amazing. As stated above, the energy was just electric!

It was just so much fun dancing with the family and seeing everyone. Dave, you were missed.

I'm out until NYE, but am looking forward to being with everyone again then. Enjoy the rest of the tour gang!!

And thanks DSO for a special night.

Love,

Kira

Guest crazy digits
oh and don't forget the beautiful heaven help jam before US Blues---killer!!!

that was killing me..i knew what it was but had the brain fry going on :-)

I did some more research into last nights show. It was released as Dick's Picks 12. The jam in between WRS>US Blues some say is the best the Dead ever did. I listened to it today and in fact it was an awesome jam. DSO did not play it a"as it was performed" on 6-28-1974, but it was still hovever very nice. The jam performed on 6-28-1974 was over 30 minutes long and contained elements of Dark Star, Warf Rat and probably some others and is a great example of Jerry and the Bands improve jamming expertise. I will amend my OP to reflect a jam was played by DSO, however, this was not the Heaven Help the Fool Jam.

• Forum MVP
I did some more research into last nights show. It was released as Dick's Picks 12. The jam in between WRS>US Blues some say is the best the Dead ever did. I listened to it today and in fact it was an awesome jam. DSO did not play it a"as it was performed" on 6-28-1974, but it was still hovever very nice. The jam performed on 6-28-1974 was over 30 minutes long and contained elements of Dark Star, Warf Rat and probably some others and is a great example of Jerry and the Bands improve jamming expertise. I will amend my OP to reflect a jam was played by DSO, however, this was not the Heaven Help the Fool Jam.

Thanks for that info,I will have to dig that out & listen ,& yes John it was a real pleasure to have diner with you,hopefully we'll see each other again.

Once again, a very cool venue. Really nice staff. Tons of dancin space at the top of the lower level and not to mention that I missed all sorts of friends that were in the balcony. Seats and slopes suck but this venue worked fine. Great show all around....

there def was a heaven help jam DSO is not an exact replica...dso's jam was about 15-20 minutes long and was more space oriented

Smile - Yes, agreed on the jam more spacy than the true HHTF jam. It was sweet indeed, but I could not believe how many people left during that jam. Maybe they were just going to the bathroom.

Here is the link for the aud. rec. if you dont have Dick's Picks 12. AKA mind left body jam.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd74-06-28....6038.sbeok.shnf

Steve, meeting you, Chris, and Brian was a true pleasere. Hope we can do it agian!

• Forum MVP
Here is the link for the aud. rec. if you dont have Dick's Picks 12. AKA mind left body jam.

here's some interesting info i found on the internet on the whole MLB vs. heaven help the fool dilemma. ive seen several people conflate mind left body jam, feelin groovy jam, and heaven help the fool into the same song. i never understood that, as all three songs are quite obviously completely different, mutually exclusive tunes. so i looked around on the internet and i found some confirmation (from http://www.phish.net/faq/daves.html):

* Old Answer: (aka Mind Left Body, aka Mud Love Buddy (Dozin at the Knick), aka Heaven Help the Fool Jam) is an instrumental performed sporadically by the Grateful Dead over their years, with a classic performance being 6/28/74, Boston Gardens, and a later performance (3-24-90) out of Terrapin. Daniel Ritchey <DRITCHE1@UA1VM.UA.EDU> posted (9/5/97), "This is derived from a song called 'Your Mind Has Left Your Body', which appears [as track five, written by Kanter, 5:45] on the Paul Kantner/Grace Slick album called Baron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun. This album was kind of a bridge between the old Jefferson Airplane and the soon-to-be-formed Jefferson Starship. David Freiberg, formerly of Quicksilver Messenger Service, was also credited on the album. There are some absolutely incredible pieces of music on this album, as well as the album Sunfighter, which was also done by Kantner/Slick during the lull at the end of the Airplane's existence. The reason the Dead used to do this is because Jerry played several songs on both the Baron Von Tollbooth and Sunfighter albums, which are some of my favorite non-Dead Jerry items of all time. Both these albums were formerly only available on LP, but they were both remastered and released on CD on July 29th! After years of listening to scratchy records, I couldn't be more delighted. These albums contain some if the best music to come out of the community of artists in the Bay Area in the early 70's, and I recommend that everyone go out and get the CD's as soon as they can. They will be listed under Kantner/Slick [correction: under Paul Kantner, Grace Slick, and David Frieberg] if you need to order them."

* New Submission: Tyler Hart <Tyler.Hart@dynamix.com> emailed (10/22/98):

"Daniel Ritchie's post presents the Orthodox Dead Trader's Version (ODTV) of this jam, which is only one of many.

"Phil Lesh has stated repeatedly and with great emphasis that the "jam that has been called Mind Left Body" is no such thing, and bears no conscious influence whatsoever from the BvTB song which Deadheads have named it after. The "Mud Love Buddy" title on Dozin' at the Knick is specifically a humorous jab at tape traders who affixed a formal title to a loose musical structure which the band themselves never, apparently, named even obliquely or even referred to verbally. They would simply end up landing on those chords every now and again and would fool with them for awhile. That is the Official Phil Lesh Version (OPLV): it's just a loose coupla chords, don't take it so serious, people.

"Many people think the Subconscious Subtle Influence Version (SSIV), which falls between the two extremes, is the most likely. They didn't *mean* to play anything like YMHLYB, but they were playing all these gentle two- to four-chord jams and at some point Jerry fell into an open structure similar to the one he had played with the Planet Earth loonies. They all liked it, and fell into the habit of playing it now and again, and it took on a life of its own, but was never intentionally based on or linked to YMHLYB.

"There are various schisms, heresies, and sects within these 3 major versions of reality. I myself am entirely agnostic; I think it's a lovely little jam, and after that who cares really? It has now come to be called the MLBJ in tape trading circles, and I use that name for reference puposes without any interest or investment in the "real truth."

"One other thing: neither Your Mind Has Left Your Body nor the Grateful Dead Type I jam structure deadheads call the Mind Left Body Jam have anything whatsoever to do with "Heaven Help the Fool" or a "Heaven Help Jam." That comes from one total mislabelling of a tape that circulated widely. The two (or three) musical structures, whatever linguistic terms one uses to describe them, bear no resemblance to each other at all to even a moderately discerning ear. Phish would rock like bastards on a HH Jam; it's extraordinarily crescendo-iffic."

jfolks - great stuff! In my post I did not mean to infer HHTF Jam = MLB Jam, only that it was labeled as such on the link I posted to the 6-28-74 show. The two are completely different in structure. I think the link is wrong and it should be labeled Heaven Help the Fool Jam.

• Forum MVP

Kantner/Slick....hell yes!

The Airplane was my first love...and Blows Against the Empire is a classic of the first order. The second side of the album (I still think of it that way) is genius.

I'd recommend "Diana" from Sunfighter to anyone.

Guest sunflower

greetings and blessings all, i just had to add my thoughts about the show sunday night. i was the mama with my babe in a sling and my older son. (easy to point us out as I don't believe there were ant other littles there!) but anyway, this was my first dso show and the first for my kids as well. I toured like many of you heads did, and was always a little sceptical of cover bands after jerry passed. even bobby and phil have missed the mark on some of the shows i've been to in the last 10 years(sorry guys, i do love you sooo much though!!). it always seemed as though something was missing, like the vibe was gone, you know the one i am talking about...

so, we got to the show two songs into it and i was amazed at what i walked into!!! the vibe! everyone gettin' down, smilimg, warm and welcoming. it was just like those old days. i was so impressed with dso. wow. and so blessed to have my five year old introduced to the music of the dead with that same vibe that made me drop everything and get on my friend's schoolbus to go sell veggie pasta on tour! I am so inspired, and every time I think about how they rocked the house I get chills down my spine. The magic is still there!!

The theater was great, and one of the women working the door even held my eldest so he could see the stage!Such a kind vibe... Thanks dso for pumping out the LOVE!!!

And thanks to the beautiful couple I talked with in the health food store the next day, you really helped me to see that the tribe is still out there and so is the music.

i got shown the light in princeton nj!!!Maybe i'll see some of y'all in wilmington DE.

Love and light~ Sunny xo

Archived