And listen to my song

If you come off of them long trips

I'd have ya's not go wrong

Take my advice, drink no strong drink

Don't go sleeping with no whores

Get married lads and have all night in

So you'll go to sea no more

http://jerrygarciatabs.googlepages.com/

Couple of days ago I was going through my record collection (for the younger generation those would be flat pieces of vinyl with music magically etched in them) and pulled out a classic I hadn't listened to in quite a long while. It was the J. Geils Band's first album from 1970 and the song I am now releasing all my pent up frustration on is "At First I Look at the Purse." I forgot just what a great tune that is and how rocking the drumming is from the get go. Amazingly the song was written by Smokey Robinson but the J Geils Band definitely added some heat to it. I don't play it all that well but when you're slamming the skins that hard, who cares?

Oh yeah, earlier I mentioned I jam along to tye dye ed....actually its tyd dye keith and the song is Big World. Another burner for guitar players and drummers.

Who else actually listens to records on here? Anybody? Buhler....Buhler............

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one here working on new tunes?

Well actually, the ones I've been goofing around with lately aren't exactly new tunes I play.....they are just the funnest. Lately I've been getting back to my natural beat.....the same one we all tap our toes to. And that would be funk. I think we all have a natural rhythm and funk is it. Its seems unatural at first to play a downbeat on one but you pick it up fast. I love playing along to George Clinton and Parliment Funkadelic's "Give up the Funk...Tear this Sucker Down". Is pretty easy to play when the entire band is playing the groove. Of course with Parliment Funkadelic I'm sure the drummer would yell, "Bootsy turn your bass down! Nobody can hear me!" Then Eddie Hazel raging over everybody but still in the groove. How fun would that have been to be jamming with those guys when they were in top form? Of course when you listen to their live stuff you know who's driving the boat.........the drummer. Rob and Dino know what I'm talking about. If the guitar player goes off on some tangent and the drummer don't follow that tune dies a quick death. But who do all the hot chicks flock too? The freaking lead guitar player and the singer. The poor old drummer is relegated to a cramped space with his back up against some brick wall with a shitty air vent dangling over his head the the management says works but really doesn't. If you're lucky they also have a fan but its usually pointed at the kick drum so thats no good......and halfway through the first song the bass player turns it to blow on him anyway. Man, thats your rhythm buddy showing you no love....but its cool I guess because he probably owns a van that carried all you stuff there in the first place. But I digress......

So I implore all you rhythm makers out there to not forget about your roots and play around with some funk and even, dare I say, disco?

So, next time you play Shakedown Street.....Funk that bad boy up!

• 4 weeks later...

Well here we are......just me again working on some new tunes. I like trying out everything but don't ask me to play it because I've probably forgotten how by now. Play something for a few weeks and move on......

Lately I've been getting into Apeman by the Kinks.....just a nice little ditty. When I want to test my endurance I've been fiddling around with Nobody's Fool off of Poco's second album. Don't laugh......that song goes all over the place and covers about every genre of music there is in 19 minutes. I highly recommend listening to it. Sometimes for fun I give Post Toastie a go from Tommy Bolin.....great rocking tune but without an echo chamber it sounds a bit odd. Great song for bass players too.....not as good as Jump Into the Fire by Harry Nilsson but still jamming enough to give you an irregular heartbeat.

And as always I finish off with some Stones...usually Sympathy for the Devil, Street Fighting Man and Stray Cat Blues. And for the fans of the Grateful Dead on here....and I know you are out there.......I've been kicking it to Don't Let Go and Tangled up in Blue a bit lately off the live Jerry disc.......I just can't seem to keep up with David Kemperer during the jams and its pissing me off (I only have one kick pedal and it sounds like he has two)........maybe that's why I'm not a drummer for a living......that and the lack of talent thing.

But beating the bejeezus out of drums after a day at work sure is theraputic........I wonder if guitar players feel the same way.....

Well here we are......just me again working on some new tunes. I like trying out everything but don't ask me to play it because I've probably forgotten how by now. Play something for a few weeks and move on......

Lately I've been getting into Apeman by the Kinks.....just a nice little ditty. When I want to test my endurance I've been fiddling around with Nobody's Fool off of Poco's second album. Don't laugh......that song goes all over the place and covers about every genre of music there is in 19 minutes. I highly recommend listening to it. Sometimes for fun I give Post Toastie a go from Tommy Bolin.....great rocking tune but without an echo chamber it sounds a bit odd. Great song for bass players too.....not as good as Jump Into the Fire by Harry Nilsson but still jamming enough to give you an irregular heartbeat.

And as always I finish off with some Stones...usually Sympathy for the Devil, Street Fighting Man and Stray Cat Blues. And for the fans of the Grateful Dead on here....and I know you are out there.......I've been kicking it to Don't Let Go and Tangled up in Blue a bit lately off the live Jerry disc.......I just can't seem to keep up with David Kemperer during the jams and its pissing me off (I only have one kick pedal and it sounds like he has two)........maybe that's why I'm not a drummer for a living......that and the lack of talent thing.

But beating the bejeezus out of drums after a day at work sure is theraputic........I wonder if guitar players feel the same way.....

[/quote

Stray cat blues wow grate song. recent ones for me. Drift Away, Night Moves, Sweet Home Alabama.

• 6 months later...

Here's a John Prine song that has a Garcia twist to it. At least when Susan Tedeschi does it. I think there are 4 degrees of separation from the dead.

ANGEL FROM MONTGOMERY

G C G C

I am an old woman named after my mother.

G C D G

My old man is another child that's grown old.

C G C

If dreams were thunder and lightning was desire

G C D G

this old house would've burnt down a long time ago.

CHORUS

G F C G

Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery.

F C G

Make me a poster of an old rodeo.

F C G

Just give me one thing that I can hold on to.

F C G C G C

To believe in this living is just a hard way to go.

When I was a young girl I had me a cowboy,

wa'n't much to look at, just a free ramblin' man.

But that was a long time, and no matter how I try,

the years just flow by like a broken-down dam.

(repeat chorus)

There's flies in the kitchen, I can hear all their buzzin'

but I ain't done nothin' since I woke up today.

But how the hell can a person go to work in the morning

come home in the evenin' and have nothin' to say?

(repeat chorus)

F C G

To believe in this living is just a hard way to go.

• 2 months later...
  • Forum MVP

Peggy-O (depending on the era, most of the versions i play are in the key of A major but some of the earlier ones are in G major)

A>D>A

A>F#m>C#m

D>A>F#m

A>D>A

Crazy Fingers

Intro

G>Gsus4

Verse

D>C>G

Bb>F>Fm>Gsus4>G

Bb>Bbm>Ebmaj7>Cm>G>Gsus4

Chorus or Bridge (Life may be sweeter part, not sure what you'd call it.)

Fm>Ab>Eb

Fm>Ab>Eb>Cm>G

Ab>A?(not sure the name of the chord)>Ebmaj7>Dmaj7>Dbmaj7>Gsus4>G

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a Yamaha F335 acoustic. Not an amazing guitar, but it's good enough. I like to play a lot of Dead tunes. Here's some I got down:

Ripple

Scarlet Begonias

Friend of the Devil

Bird Song

Truckin'

Box of Rain- Gotta work on the vocals with this one

Dire Wolf

Candyman

Touch of Grey

Sugaree

Althea- I never really learned the whole thing, dunno why

Brokedown Palace - In the process of learning this one

Saint Stephen- Just started this one. Intro is fun to play

Tennessee Jed- Kinda started learning this one. Love that main riff.

Some stuff not related to the Dead that I know are:

Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd

Guaranteed- Eddie Vedder

Society- Eddie Vedder

Blackbird- Beatles

With a Little Help from my Friends-Beatles

Waste - Phish

Dirt - Phish

Under the Bridge- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Sunny Goodge Street - Donovan

some Neil Young stuff, some Doors stuff, some Jack Johnson stuff...I think I'll stop here

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any advice on Greatest Story Ever Told?

I got the rukind version down pat but it doesn't seem to accurate when I see videos of weirs part of the rhythm? It looks like he uses a Triad shaped C on the 8th and then goes to a bar at the end of each measure. Anyone have any insight on this and how to strum this song properly?

Also looks like he adds his pinky when he bares the C chord. Is he adding the 7?

• 3 months later...
Guest Ammagamalin Crew

Slow Surprises......There is a way the subtle changes come to stay barely noticed hardly known. I used to be the whole of you and me, now I'm the limit of all I am.

• 1 month later...

I play two guitars primarily. I have a Martin backpacker that I often find myself playing because its light and easy to handle. More often than not, though, I play a Guild hollow body electric that was a hand-me-down from my Grandfather. I don't know the exact year of its make, but it pre-dates MY birth by at least 20 years.

To be honest, I find Grateful Dead music very, very enjoyable to play. It should come as no surprise, I guess, since I enjoy LISTENING to the music so much. It should only stand to reason that it would be just as much fun (and in some cases, moreso) to actually PLAY the music. That said, I most often find myself playing a "setlist" of 10 or so songs, loud as I can, with the set usually being dominated by Dead tunes. Now, mind you, I'm playing a setlist to no one. Well, maybe my cats are listening, but probably not. More realistically, its just me, belting out the songs and having fun. But I always tend to assemble a list of 10 or so songs and, as I said, play a full "set". I even often have "themes" in my setlists or play songs relating to current or recent events. Silly, I know. A concert to no one.

Lately, I find myself playing the following songs a lot:

Althea

Mountains of the Moon

Crazy Fingers (SO much fun to play!!!)

Bird Song

They Love Each Other

Me and Bobby McGee (Dead version, not Janis version)

Bertha

Black Muddy River

Morning Dew

Oh, the Wind and Rain

Catfish John

California Earthquake

Cold Rain and Snow

Southbound Train (Graham Nash)

After the Gold Rush (Neil Young)

Comes a Time (Neil Young)

Ape Man (The Kinks)

Strawberry Fields Forever (Lennon/McCartney)

Peaceful Valley (Ryan Adams)

Magnolia Mountain (Ryan Adams)

And a bunch more, but you get the idea. Concerts to no one. Thats what I do. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I play two guitars primarily. I have a Martin backpacker that I often find myself playing because its light and easy to handle. More often than not, though, I play a Guild hollow body electric that was a hand-me-down from my Grandfather. I don't know the exact year of its make, but it pre-dates MY birth by at least 20 years.

To be honest, I find Grateful Dead music very, very enjoyable to play. It should come as no surprise, I guess, since I enjoy LISTENING to the music so much. It should only stand to reason that it would be just as much fun (and in some cases, moreso) to actually PLAY the music. That said, I most often find myself playing a "setlist" of 10 or so songs, loud as I can, with the set usually being dominated by Dead tunes. Now, mind you, I'm playing a setlist to no one. Well, maybe my cats are listening, but probably not. More realistically, its just me, belting out the songs and having fun. But I always tend to assemble a list of 10 or so songs and, as I said, play a full "set". I even often have "themes" in my setlists or play songs relating to current or recent events. Silly, I know. A concert to no one.

Lately, I find myself playing the following songs a lot:

Althea

Mountains of the Moon

Crazy Fingers (SO much fun to play!!!)

Bird Song

They Love Each Other

Me and Bobby McGee (Dead version, not Janis version)

Bertha

Black Muddy River

Morning Dew

Oh, the Wind and Rain

Catfish John

California Earthquake

Cold Rain and Snow

Southbound Train (Graham Nash)

After the Gold Rush (Neil Young)

Comes a Time (Neil Young)

Ape Man (The Kinks)

Strawberry Fields Forever (Lennon/McCartney)

Peaceful Valley (Ryan Adams)

Magnolia Mountain (Ryan Adams)

And a bunch more, but you get the idea. Concerts to no one. Thats what I do. :)

Nice set list. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived