Old Junk!

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel

Guest Mind Of A Squirrel

OK- I love guitars and stuff as much as the next guy, but here's a thread about LISTENING ENJOYMENT!

I've always been one for a horrible hodge-podge of random components, but I finally got a set that matches! :D For free!

It's a 1963 Magnavox console rig, just like my folks used to have. All tubes! I used to love monkeying around with one of these when I was a kid. You turn on the radio and 25 seconds later you finally hear something. This one sounds great, and LOUD. It even has that old warm electronic smell just like I remember. I need a new needle, some little lightbulbs, and a bit of contact cleaner, but beyond that, it seems to be sound. No hum, so the guts seem to be OK.

Let this be the 'jumping off point' to tell us about your gear, OK?

Here's she is:

2dt6cko.jpg

2jg819f.jpg

jb1gl5.jpg

znvgi0.jpg

2lxhwzm.jpg

Guest DEAD HEAD

What a grate old console...my parents had one and I know that warm electronic smell your talking about..I can close my eyes and smell that smell and hear that thing crank ... way cool !!!

Too sweet! A truly nice snag... and you can't beat FREE with a big stick! :icon14:

I sure remember seeing my share of those beauties... and remember the smell too... kind of like potpourri for music heads, isn't it? ;)

Speaking of vinyl... I saw that Lotus is releasing their latest album Hammerstrike on 12"... and your purchase includes a code to download it digitally as well...

Nice to see people actually pressing platters again...

Gonna head to Radio Shack today and see about a needle for the old P.O.S. Brand rack unit I received from a fellow Freecycle member...

It'd be nice to hear that crackle of the needle running the vinyl again...

Guess I better get a puck and/or some Frisbee's too... as I have a few 45's too... and a couple 78's...

Maybe I'll start looking out for older stereo stuff come across the board... and try to score one of those babies!

Thanks for the post... and GRATE idea for a thread too!

Your Brother,

Andrew

P.S. PRIMO choice of a vinyl to spin... Beatles!!! :icon14: :icon14:

EDIT: Spelling (DUH!)

• 1 month later...

Archived