Must Read Books

Guest captain420

Guest captain420

Just wondering what everyone thinks are must read books that are somewhat incorporated with psychedelic culture.

examples:

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe --they are making a movie to be released next year.

Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke --I like this concept -anyone know of any others similar to this????

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

As far as SF books with a psychedelic bend are concerned, check out almost anything by Philip K. Dick, and anything by Robert Silverberg from the late '60s and early '70s. Robert Sheckley's works from that era also are pretty heady.

I can also recommend The Eden Express by Mark Vonnegut (Kurt's son) for a truly heart-felt true story of the trials and tribulations, angst and joy, of trying to be a "good hippie" during that formative time.

• Forum MVP
As far as SF books with a psychedelic bend are concerned, check out almost anything by Philip K. Dick, and anything by Robert Silverberg from the late '60s and early '70s. Robert Sheckley's works from that era also are pretty heady.

I can also recommend The Eden Express by Mark Vonnegut (Kurt's son) for a truly heart-felt true story of the trials and tribulations, angst and joy, of trying to be a "good hippie" during that formative time.

The Doors of Perception - Huxley

Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Wolf

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Thompson

• Forum MVP

" Diet for a Small Planet"

It's not really "psychedelic" but it just seems to fit the whole cause. Wish I could find a copy again...would have to be an old ragged dogeared small paperback with a long three page poem scribbled in the back pages by the cute lady at "Morning Star Inn" in Emory Village after the Brewer and Shipley show about '71.

Peace and Love

Doc

• Forum MVP

mason- look no furthur than the Principia Discordia. JK turned me onto it... its hands down the best psychedelic book ive ever read.. its hilarious and the philosophy is quite insightful actually. and its free! its the only book in the world that has an "anti-copyright." read it here: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/ (make sure you dont read one of the many text only versions on the internet- the random images are a critical part of the book.)

pd_pd_cover.jpg

Guest captain420
mason- look no furthur than the Principia Discordia. JK turned me onto it... its hands down the best psychedelic book ive ever read.. its hilarious and the philosophy is quite insightful actually. and its free! its the only book in the world that has an "anti-copyright." read it here: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/ (make sure you dont read one of the many text only versions on the internet- the random images are a critical part of the book.)

pd_pd_cover.jpg

I've read parts of it...I remember JK posting the link many moons ago..

Chaos...

Thanks for the list thus far guys!

• Forum MVP

It has been mentioned before but bears repeating - as a sign o' the times, nothing beats The Last Whole Earth Catalog, edited by Stewart Brand.

Along similar lines, as an indication of where youth culture was at, look up copies of Rolling Stone magazine from the period. And not just interviews of Jerry or issues running HST's work (before they were published in book format), but the issues that covered political matters such as the '68 Democratic National Convention or Kent State.

I've posted too much in this thread, so I will close with this:

zap.jpg

Guest captain420
" Diet for a Small Planet"

It's not really "psychedelic" but it just seems to fit the whole cause. Wish I could find a copy again...would have to be an old ragged dogeared small paperback with a long three page poem scribbled in the back pages by the cute lady at "Morning Star Inn" in Emory Village after the Brewer and Shipley show about '71.

Yes, this fits the category quite well...I haven't read it but I do know about food and health.

Cooked food = dead food, kills most minerals/nutrients

pasteurized/flash-past. = dead food, kills enzymes- Milk is a joke! So is cheese..btw there is aluminum in cheese in USA, to make creamier!

Raw food (not meat or animal products) = Living Food!

You can't get real raw cali almonds b/c of FDA says there is a need to Pasteurize them, thus killing the LIFE FORCE = Cannot sprout them!

Cashews cannot be raw, b/c of hard shell that must use heat to separate.

Build up your aerobic bacteria...

Symbiotic living and sustainable living is the answer!

1. For me, it doesn't get any more psychedelic (heck, science fiction written 1000s of years ago) than this book written approximately 400BCE. Filled with love, jealousy, rage, deception, saints, sinners, 10-headed demon, the world's most beautiful woman (Sita), and the worlds most righteous "dharmic" man Rama, and one particular virtous-half monkey-half man-devotional-unaware-of-his- boundless-strength being named Hanuman. William Buck does a great job with this translation:

19603982.JPG

2. A young Harvard professor (barely out of his 20s) was so 'taken' by the Ramayana that he traveled the footsteps of Prince Rama throughout modern day India and shared his story of his travels, paralleled with the ancient tale. Jonah Blanks first book is fucking amazing:

IDA250.jpg

must reads if you are inclined to this type of stuff:

any and all vonnegut starting w/ cat's cradle...ice nine, baby!! and breakfast of champions

carlos casteneda...really wild stuff

i REALLY dug robert heinlein's stranger in a strange land...ya grok ?

tom robbins ... another roadside attraction and fierce invalids home from hot climates...then all the rest

christopher moore ... practical demonkeeping and coyote blue are good starts

Mason, I couldn't reisist your thread, being such an advid reader and having conferenced with an old friend recently on the very same topic. Must reads include: everthing by Stanislav Graf, Albert Hoffman's, LSD My Problem Child, Everything by Terrence McKenna and Ralph Metzner's Varities of Psycheldelic Experiences. I am currently reading a Tom Robbins book, Still Life With Woodpecker. He is one of my favorite all time authors, who has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Can't wait to see you!

Peace Kris

Guest captain420

Excellent recommendations...

Kris, Terence McKenna....yes, good stuff.

has anyone read DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Strauss? pretty wild stuff about the gov. funded DMT experiments..someone said that Alex Grey was one of the participants...?

Excellent recommendations...

Kris, Terence McKenna....yes, good stuff.

has anyone read DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Strauss? pretty wild stuff about the gov. funded DMT experiments..someone said that Alex Grey was one of the participants...?

yeah....REALLY cool stuff

alex grey was part of the experiments

kinda like kesey and the lsd experiments...GREAT art that came from it

also, jerry and r. hunter wrote terrapin while doing the dmt

Guest captain420

sorry, not strauss like the composer but..Rick Strassman.

actually, most of alex's work came from the 80s, if you look closely at CoSM and the DMT experiments were done in 1990...his Armageddon piece was painted in 89 and it has the twin towers with 2 guys dancing below that resemble closely of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.....yea.

Has anyone read any of Jason Narby's stuff...cosmic serpent.

What was that 80s psychedelic movie called? cosmic snake/serpent or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread! I give a hearty, color-trail halo'd thumbs up to Tolkien, Heinlein, AC Clarke, Castaneda, PK Dick, Tom Robbins, McKenna (both brothers, Invisible Landscape was an early classic), and Strassman. And its great to see the Principia Discordia link again (Malaclypse would be prould, praise Eris!) So here are a few of my recommended trippy reads:

Fiction:

The Dune Series (especially the first 3)- Frank Herbert

The Ringworld series - Larry Niven

Illuminatus! - Robert Anton Wilson & Ben Shea

Foulcalt's Pendulum - Umberto Eco

Scissors Cut Paper Wrap Stone - Ian McDonald

When HARLIE was one - David Gerrold

The Man Who Folded Himself - David Gerrold

Non-fiction/Essay:

Breaking Open the Head - Daniel Pinchbeck (an up and coming psychedelic writer)

2012: The Return of Quetzcoatl - Daniel Pinchbeck

The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are - Alan Watts

The Wisdom of Insecurity - Alan Watts

Cosmic Trigger - Robert Anton Wilson

Quantum Psychology - Robert Anton Wilson

Sex & Drugs - Robert Anton Wilson

and for pure bizarro psychedelia: The Book of the Subgenius - Ivan Stang

and the obvious: no psychedelic book list would be complete without mentioning Kesey and Kerouac.

update:

Strassman has a newer book called "Inner Paths to Outer Space" with several other authors and a documentary movie is in the works for for DMT: The Spirit Molecule.

Peace

Tashi Delek

Namaste

Guest captain420

Thanks for the reply John!

Currently reading "True Hallucinations."

about to start on "The teachings of the Yaqui way."

Pinchbeck I believe was at the Coalessence Festival this year.

Nice to see some Anton Wilson up there!

The 2012 stuff is interesting but so many directions.....novelty theory.

ANyone read/watched any Andrew Rutajit or Jan Irving stuff....Pharmacratic Inquisition guys...

only slightly off subject {tho still in the proverbial ballpark} : for some great psychedelic links check out Alex Grey's website {www.alexgrey.com} , click on links, scroll down through {especially psychedelic culture} ....

peace

in lak'ech

ciao

Guest crazy digits

If you like adventures from the road ( the GD road that is ) read " Tiger in a trance "

The author of this book went to the same High School as I did although he was 4 years younger than I..

Archived