Must Read Books

Guest captain420

• Forum MVP

How are we defining psychedelic literature? Does the author himself have to be under the influence or aware of psychedelics? I think Chuck's suggestion of the Bible is a great place to start, along with the standard texts of major and even obscure Religions. Native American teachings and writing also make for interesting reads. What about Thoreau's Walden?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How are we defining psychedelic literature? Does the author himself have to be under the influence or aware of psychedelics? I think Chuck's suggestion of the Bible is a great place to start, along with the standard texts of major and even obscure Religions. Native American teachings and writing also make for interesting reads. What about Thoreau's Walden?

Good question. Many mystics write from altered states without psychadelics. I have read a lot of books by great mystics, and many of them seem pretty "psychadelic."

In my limited personal experience, mystically/spiritually induced altered states can be even more mind-altering and life changing than chemically assisted altered states.

In this genre of books, Autobiography of a Yogi by Yogananda is a classic and a must read.

AutobiogofYogi.QltyPaper.Yogananda.jpg

Robin,

Please tell more about your encounters with Garcia!

Dr. B B)

Hi Dr. B.,

I am not very comfortable sharing my Garcia encounter stories in the general forum. The ones about Sirens seemed to fit the thread, so I wrote them. I don't have all that many of them, but if we ever get to meet in person it'd be more fun to share a bottle of wine (or other consumables) and have a mutual conversation about our Jerry/Grateful Dead experiences.

Each person has such a personal way that we relate to Jerry in our hearts, it would be hard for me to talk about these incidents publicly online. In an odd way, it would diminish their sacredness. I hope this makes sense.

Love and blessings,

Robin

• Forum MVP
In my limited personal experience, mystically/spiritually induced altered states can be even more mind-altering and life changing than chemically assisted altered states.

Exactly. If you looked at activity in a Monk's brain during deep meditation you would see things similar as to a person's brain during an LSD experience. The Monk can achieve this naturally though, which as Ram Dass wrote is an even greater experience.

I also see what you're saying about Jerry but this is a Grateful Dead community! In my opinion the best on the internet.

Archived