Norfolk 12-29-08

chinacats111

Guest captain420
Ponder this, if the venue didn't sell alcohol how much more expensive would the ticket be? and would you pay it?

Tickets are expensive as they are now, $60 for a ticket?....and maybe, so I wouldn't have to deal with drunk asses or beers all over my coat.

and those young kids I hang out with..man, do they they know the music..you know who you are and it is a credit to you all, having never seen the GD..love you all...

I know this doesn't refer directly to me, as I've never met you (at least, not that I know of), but I really appreciate the kindness and acceptance that I find at DSO shows talking to older heads. I'm only 20, never got to see the Dead of course, and I didn't really get into them until about four years ago. Since then I've been catching DSO when I can (not enough, but you know what they say...too much of everything...) and at every show I have a great time talking to people there. This bit you wrote comes at an especially meaningful time to me because of all the great people - young and old - I encountered at the DSO NYE show, there was one older lady who really bummed me out. During the second set break I was just hanging talking with a friend, or talking casually with those around us, and I see this lady and say "Hey, Happy new year!". She glares at me for a few seconds and then says "I've been around A LOT longer than you have" with this snide, arrogant tone. I couldn't really believe what I'd heard but I kept trying to be nice so I joyfully replied "Yea, when did you first see the Dead?", and other such pleasant conversation pieces, all with a big smile on my face. She kept answering me with this same distasteful tone and I couldn't figure out what her deal was. Either way, she didn't seem like she was there to have a good time so I was wondering to myself why she bothered coming out to the show. I shouldn't have let it get to me at all but there were points where I thought about this interaction and just wondered what the hell was happening. I guess there is one asshole in every crowd, and I found her at Ramshead. Anyway the point of all this is that all you guys, no matter how many times you saw Jerry, or how many times I didn't Jerry, understand that it's about the music and I want to thank all of you for accepting and embracing people like me into the scene.

• Forum MVP

this show was sooooo much fun!!!! this is why i get on jets to see dso!!! show felt really long :) too many highlights to name... i have never seen a crowd with so many dancers... fun fun fun!!! now i know why all of yall put up with the east coast :)

Guest crazy digits
I know this doesn't refer directly to me, as I've never met you (at least, not that I know of), but I really appreciate the kindness and acceptance that I find at DSO shows talking to older heads. I'm only 20, never got to see the Dead of course, and I didn't really get into them until about four years ago. Since then I've been catching DSO when I can (not enough, but you know what they say...too much of everything...) and at every show I have a great time talking to people there. This bit you wrote comes at an especially meaningful time to me because of all the great people - young and old - I encountered at the DSO NYE show, there was one older lady who really bummed me out. During the second set break I was just hanging talking with a friend, or talking casually with those around us, and I see this lady and say "Hey, Happy new year!". She glares at me for a few seconds and then says "I've been around A LOT longer than you have" with this snide, arrogant tone. I couldn't really believe what I'd heard but I kept trying to be nice so I joyfully replied "Yea, when did you first see the Dead?", and other such pleasant conversation pieces, all with a big smile on my face. She kept answering me with this same distasteful tone and I couldn't figure out what her deal was. Either way, she didn't seem like she was there to have a good time so I was wondering to myself why she bothered coming out to the show. I shouldn't have let it get to me at all but there were points where I thought about this interaction and just wondered what the hell was happening. I guess there is one asshole in every crowd, and I found her at Ramshead. Anyway the point of all this is that all you guys, no matter how many times you saw Jerry, or how many times I didn't Jerry, understand that it's about the music and I want to thank all of you for accepting and embracing people like me into the scene.

The lady was having a bad trip so to speak..not everyone can enjoy everything...I, for one, love the young folks....especially some of them ;) ..it is very cool that the young folks have found this music..peace.

The Richmond show--and the NYE show especially--now that's the kind of list that the Old Dudes and I love.

Interesting comments about crowds there and at other places. I love the mix of ages (but not the babies) at the shows. I don't see that good or bad behavior is owned by any age group. Music is so universal, and the GD so timeless, that 40 years is a blink.

Hope to see you all here next time the wheel comes around.

Archived