Dso New Years 08-09

Mohammad

Hooray its new years!!!

i just wanna see if anyone can guess which new years show theyre going to play

im not so sure what my guess would be, but i hope thhat you kids get to hear New Years 1978 from Winterland

because that setlist is friggin awesome...and jam packed with music

any other guesses????

HAVE FUN TONIGHT ALL AND BE SAFE!!!

:cheers:

OH YEAH AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA!!!!

Hooray its new years!!!

im not so sure what my guess would be, but i hope thhat you kids get to hear New Years 1978 from Winterland

any other guesses????

Thats a safe guess Mohammad...

Peace and <3

:dsorocks:

Hooray its new years!!!

any other guesses????

Mo-

Read my mind brother.....some of the wife and my best friends are there tonight and I've been telling 'em for a week or 2 now I've had the 12-31-78 feelin.........hope everyone has a blast - whatever they play tonight - you know DAMN well it's gonna be sick.....can feel the vibes 300 miles away in Buffalo........think we are gonna settle in and put "Closing of Winterland" DVD in ...crank the 'ol system up and let the neighbors share in the fun!

Wishing you all a very Happy and healthy 2009 - enjoy yourselves tonight folks - be safe

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!

now THAT was a NYE show my friends..... I thought the Ramshead did a fantastic job helping to make it the celebration it should be. And of course I really can't say enough about the band....I'm sure you all can guess how well it was played, the energy level, etc. Always love 78 shows for the family drums.....especially when there's a bit of this family up there!

Happy New Year all! Thanks DSO!

xoxo

Lisa

Guest DEAD HEAD

Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA (12/31/78)

Sugar Magnolia

Scarlet Begonias

Fire on the Mountain

Me and My Uncle

Big River

Friend of the Devil

It's All Over Now

Stagger Lee

>From the Heart of Me

Sunshine Daydream

Samson and Delilah

Ramble on Rose

I Need a Miracle

Terrapin Station

Playin' in the Band

drums

Not Fade Away

Around and Around

Dark Star

The Other One

Dark Star

Wharf Rat

St. Stephen

Good Lovin'

Casey Jones

Johnny B. Goode

We Bid You Goodnight

Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA (12/31/78)

Sugar Magnolia

Scarlet Begonias

Fire on the Mountain

Me and My Uncle

Big River

Friend of the Devil

It's All Over Now

Stagger Lee

>From the Heart of Me

Sunshine Daydream

Samson and Delilah

Ramble on Rose

I Need a Miracle

Terrapin Station

Playin' in the Band

drums

Not Fade Away

Around and Around

Dark Star

The Other One

Dark Star

Wharf Rat

St. Stephen

Good Lovin'

Casey Jones

Johnny B. Goode

We Bid You Goodnight

Oh... My... God. One hell of a show I suppose... Wish I was there :)

:dsorocks:

I REALLY HOPE THIS IS UP ON ARCHIVE SOON. i would love to see how accurately DSO does it, because this is one of my favorite shows...

basically the whole first set..the Scarlet>Fire is amazing, big river is on fire, all over now is great too...

samson is nuts, ramble on is nuts hahaha

basically the whole show is out of this world,

Way too tired to write any sort of review at the moment, but WOW what a night!

It's not the greatest picture, but this was the group at Fogo de Chao's before the show (Scott took the pic). Great to see old faces and to meet new folks. Happy New Year!

n761805639_5252574_6858.jpg

• Forum MVP

this show was off the charts ,what a fantastic time for all,midnight hour filler.Also a harp player,he played during mircle,maybe nfa & a&a.Do not know who he was. It was really a nice little 2 show blast between last night & the night before.Fantastic to meet all the new people I was able to meet from the boards & to be able to dance with everyone & god , what a treat to have vince & sue fly up from florida & suprise us ,Great times were had by all. Can't wait for the 4 night run at the end of the month. Peace to all & happy new year.

Show was definitely off the charts. We walked in during Scarlet and I knew right away (pun intended) what set they were playing. I have to be honest, there was a moment of almost disappointment, but only because I know the Closing of Winterland setlist through and through, so I knew I wasn't really in for surprises that night. This moment only lasted about three seconds, however, and after that it was just all out fun. What I remember about most of this show was the great moments in usually unexpected places - Friend of the Devil got really hot, Stagger Lee went through the roof, etc. First set was great and the SSDD closer got every eager for me. Second set was the best part of the show for me - everything was hot! Samson, Ramble On, Miracle, the end of Terrapin kept building for what seemed like forever, Playin' jam went real DEEP, outstanding drums w/the family, long NFA with great crowd interaction, hell even Around and Around smoked. New Years Toast was awesome with someone doing the Bill Graham Father-Time-on-a-giant-joint entrance, accompanied by balloons dropping and the unveiling of the "2009" banner behind the stage, then right into Dark Star. The Other One got really hot too, as did the Good Lovin'. Damn, what an evening. Happy 2009 everyone! We brought it in right.

Guest captain420

Big fat joint coming out from behind the stage was the highlight....it was nice not getting kicked out of a show....

The first 2 shows of the run were my choice, 2nd night indeed - original setlist.

well, my prediction was right, '78...from the heart of me weeks ago gave it away to me..lovely btw lisa and thank you for your beautiful voice that resounds my ear and body.

Thanks for the FAMILY, that is what makes this thing special to me and why I get off my ass...the people I've met through here are BAR NONE the best folks in the WORLD!

A treat to see everyone again and putting faces to names...Kira it was excellent as always to see you! and Pat, love ya man!

dcFrank, Grateful Fred!, Kim, Sakada, sugarmag, GratefulFedMobile, darby's dad, waynecs, Doc...pleasure to have finally met you guys! I probably forgot some, sorry, sleep deprived....

Thanks to the family members who helped us out on the road for places to sleep and excellent hospitality and amazing food!!

Thanks Gary/Connie, Torin, and Josh for driving us around the NE, good times!

[dunno if anyone else posted it, but if not, the original joint sequence is on david lemeux' tapers stuff on dead net for this week

see everyone soon.. happy new years.. and how about the dead returning to uva after 27 years.. go hoos!!! april 15

WARNING: long, rambling review posted below....

Okay, let me start by saying what a pleasure it was to meet so many fine people from the forums! The day started early with a 3 o'clock hotel check in at the Sheraton, followed by a walk to Fogo de Chao's for dinner (brrr, it was windy). There we met up with Kira, Pat, and Wayne, followed by Herdy, Nicole and many more. I can honestly say that I have never had an eating experience quite like this before! It was a meat orgy and Herdy and Kira like it RARE! How about that polenta? Yum! Then it was off to the show, where we warmed up, mingled, and prepped ourselves for an incredible night of DSO at their finest.

From the get-go, we knew it was Winterland '78, but that didn't matter, the band was on fire! Sugar Magnolia got us grooving right away. Scarlet>Fire blasted us off to new heights while Me and My Uncle>Big River>Friend of the Devil brought us back to earth for a little while. It's All Over Now was pure rock n' roll and John did Stagger Lee justice. Even though we had heard that Lisa was under the weather "From the Heart of Me" sounded beautiful (this woman is a trooper!) followed by Sunshine Daydream to close the first set.

Second set highlights included just about everything with an appropriate "Around and Round" to end it so close to midnight (because the place was packed). For the third set, we found some champagne and goodies, secured a sweet spot on the second floor by the railing, and counted down the last moments of 2008 with a Father Time/marijuana joint entrance to boot! This set took the cake, but the Other One stood out for me; it was PHENOMENAL (can't wait to hear this again--archives?)!!! Wharf Rat was beautiful, raw, emotional and St. Stephen had the crowd dancing so hard, I thought we might break something :-)

After the show, Ryan, Wayne, and I were witness to some rather interesting antics outside the venue, including dozens of dressed up girls in stiletto heels and no jackets falling down drunk left and right, some tool who thought it was a good idea to fight a group of Baltimore City police and another jackass, who tried to set up a tank in the middle of Power Plant Live, which only resulted in another BCPD beat-down and the tank rolling out into the middle of the street, hissing all the way. After Kira, Pat, and Doc joined us, we waited for Stanley, the no-show cab driver (Kira, did you call him yesterday? hee hee) and ended up walking back to the hotel. Wish we could of met up with the Tremont Hotel folks, but there was a communication breakdown there I guess. A much needed stop at 7-11 gave us the fuel we needed to make it back to the hotel (Ryan admitted he lost his sense of direction toward the end, but we made it, right?).

Once inside the warm and toasty Sheraton, we were greeted by three out of service elevators, which led to Ryan and I climbing 24 flights of stairs (ahhhhh!!!). At 4am we were awakened by three LARGE men outside of our room convinced that our room was their room, repeatedly trying to use their key to get in! We calmly told them that they had the wrong room, but when they began shouldering the door to get in, we called security (are you fucking kidding me? No!) Can you say refund?

All in all it was a great night! The added shenanigans will keep us amused for a long time to come. Thanks to the band for taking us on another climactic musical journey and thanks to all the great folks we met who made the night extra special :-) Can't wait to do it again soon!

• Forum MVP

upon entering the venue i was informed that a certain couple of people were there...my parents! quite the surprise, glad they got to see this show because it was a fun one. only complaint, another oversold venue...RamsHead did a great job, place looked beautiful, incredible set up and show. had the best dancing space for the first set, the second was a more difficult space, and the third was good to be up front with everyone. sooo awesome to see Tiff again! this show was, for me, hands down, the best of the 4. really enjoyed Dark Star>OtherOne>Dark Star>Wharf, dso power! SugarMag>Scarlet>Fire was the most fun of any of the openers.

an amazing amazing road trip! really hard to describe it all. big thanks to everyone for being so kind to Ariel, she loved it all and everyone!

see some of you in a few weeks down here where the chilly winds dont blow!!!! Peace

ah, what can one say about this show ? ! {other than we knew it was coming [30 year anniversary & all]}

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA ! ! ! !

of course the show itself : 12/31/78 ? WHOA NOW ! ! !

Sugar Mags> Scarlet > Fire ! ! !

Stagger Lee reached some great inner zones of dance bliss...seriously, From The Heart of ME, it did....

loved the RaMbLe On...

miracle was HOPPIN'!

Terrapin, ah terrapin....

Playin' brought so much ENERGY, carrying thru drums, NFA, to the rockin' AROUND { mmm, love the JAM ! }

and then there's that 3rd set!!!!! HOLY SHAT ! ! ! DARK STAR reached so far in > other one MELTdown ! > dark STAR soothed > Wharf Rat offered the chance to FLY away > St. Stephen = cathedralic { <-i know that's not a word} >Good LOVIN' to dance again and again ! ! !

Casey Jones rippled comfort {just did}

Bid u Goodnite :-)

Midnight Hour filler some kickin' my heels up tired {oh so tired} dancin' again :-)

notes

: Rob B. THANK YOU SO MUCH for styling Desta out again...what can words actually say of ThAnK YOU...included here: MY appreciation for the dancing space connection which this so afforded {SO glad [due to SO many people] to have the SPACE to fully LET GO and DANCE ! ! [without having to deal with people continually walking thru, etc.] ! ! ! ! this made my SHOW to be so FREE}

: Vending Crew : ya'll's welcoming DESTA to hang with you, the hat {which he did sell for $20 ! ! ! }, i tried to catch ya'll @ 1908 {tho alas, didn't pan out [by the way, didn't get ya'll's info, PM me when you can]}...

: Rob K. wow! the cymbal moment so KEWL ! ! !

:and EVERYONE else who supported Desta's absolutely FANTASTIC {and he is STILL jabbering about it ! } show: THANK YOU !

IT WAS A L O N G, L O N G, L-O-N-G drive home....

peace

ciao

• Forum MVP

Third set took the cake for me. The rest of the show I couldn't find a good spot...If I found a spot to dance I couldn't hear...If I could hear there was no room to dance. Having absolutely loved this venue in the past I was let down. I know its New Years and everyone has to make their money, but that place was way oversold. Anywhere under the balcony sounds like shit. For the third set I guess so non-deadicated folks left so I was able to fully enjoy the darkstar>otherone>darkstar..etc.. That st stephen was the best i've ever heard(or at least I thought so at the time).

All in all I had a great time, no denying that. In the future my vote is to stick to electives on New Years...frankly, I don't like knowing every song in order of the set...thats not what being at a dead concert is about for me. I understand that this has been done the last few years and the band likes to switch it up. Not really complaining here, just posting my opinion.

I don't know when my next show is, which is sad...if i'm lucky it'll be the west coast in april.

Look forward to seeing everyone again and I hope everyone has a wonderful start to the new year.

• Forum MVP

oh boy what a night!!! it was just so much fun. the traveling from jersey was kinda stressful, but as soon as we entered the venue all the trials of the day melted away. it was soooo great seeing everyone in one place!! we did the first set on the 2nd floor center- epic dancing.. had an absolute blast up there dancing with 8 or so starheads... we heard a rumor the bass was really good downstairs so i convinced the crew to try it out downstairs... pretty big tradeoff there- bass/sound was wonderful, but it was sooooooo crowded.. talk about dancin on a pin! not only were we packed in like sardines, but this group of girls were sooo annoying. they would lean on you- you move a foot over, and they would follow in suit and continue leaning. i guess they did this until you couldnt take it anymore and gave up your spot..anyways, it was fuckin packed on the downstairs floor- NO dancing room... we made do, but i really like being able to spin and use my arms when i dance so i was pretty restrained... so i had a lot more fun dancing the 1st set, but the starhead energy level in the starhead zone (ie: front and center) was purely brilliant.. one of the highest starhead counts i ever witnessed.. dancing with everyone upfront brought the biggest smile to my face- it was absolutely euphoric to have fun with all of the family upfront. so i fought the crowds and stayed up front (even rode the rail for a few songs) for the other 2 sets. ramshead is a really good venue. staff is wonderful and friendly... they kept replenishing the finger foods available on all floors all night long. venue has a very unique setup... and it had indoor will call! funny thing happened with that. we were standing in line outside for what we thought was will-call. We asked the guy in front of us if it was will-call and the guy said,

Archived