Twins Owner Dies

Guest jazz-man

Guest jazz-man

Carl Pohlad, who has owned the Minnesota Twins since 1984 died Monday. Now the Twins always had a low payroll and have lost stars such as Torii Hunter and Johan Santana over the last 2 years. I just found out the owner was a BILLIONAIRE and yet wouldn't put the money into making his team great. They always brought up good talent through their farm system but seemed to not be able to "run with the big dogs". Yet this owner was a freakin' billionaire!!! He also offered up his team to be 'contracted' or absorbed by the other teams if they'd pay him $150 million. His teams won 2 World Series under his ownership but if he'd have spent a few dollars they'd have won more. He dies with a net worth of $3.6 billion. You can't take it with you. I just shake my head at this kind of greed and penny pinching.

• Forum MVP

There are very few, if any, sports franchise owners who aren't filthy, stinking rich. It all depends on whether they are a fan, and therefore wants to win for the team and the fans or if they want to rake in as much money as they can. My understanding is that he was loved by just about everyone who played for the Twins, until contract negotiation time.

• Forum MVP

I think the Twins are one of the best run small market teams. They seem to be in contention every year because they work smart. Most of the owners of sports teams are happy if they break even on their team and make their money elsewhere. The problem owners are the ones that only have their team and try to make it profitable. Like Mike Brown here in Cincy with the Bengals :angry:

Archived