-Filler-

Stir It Up

Let Me Sing Your Blues Away

Midnight Hour

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Charles from Oregon

Looks fun to me, I enjoyed Oriental Theater, when I went there. Terrapin Station encore, Stir It Up!! Keep the reviews coming, Thanks 420! Have fun, Jump up and down for me. If your able. I'm getting excited and it's a almost a month away til Seattle.

• Forum MVP

Well, of course I miss the sick Foolish!!! Looks like another classic filler too, natch...good times!

As of now, flights to DEN are showing "go," so off to airport...cross fingers for all of us in transit...later, gators...

Guest DEAD HEAD

:dsorocks:

The postman's ( DSO's ) creed :)

Neither rain nor snow, nor sleet nor dark of night shall stay these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds...

• Forum MVP

I so wanted to be there last night, but with HWY36 closed it was a pretty easy decision. The irony is that HWY36 East was open but West bound, the route home, as far as I know, just recently opened a few hours ago. I'm there tonight no matter what as if need be...I CAN WALK THE 2 MILES!!

I really would've enjoyed last night, first time I saw this show I was 21. We drove down from Syracuse University and did the whole run from the Cap Center thru Greensboro.

Guest DEAD HEAD
I really would've enjoyed last night, first time I saw this show I was 21. We drove down from Syracuse University and did the whole run from the Cap Center thru Greensboro.
Dave I was there for that tour also and I'll bet we walked right past each other at some point :) ... The Terrapin encore has a significance due to the fact that it hadn't been played as an encore for a long time and there was a reason for the very short first set . Do you remember what that was about ?

• Forum MVP
Dave I was there for that tour also and I'll bet we walked right past each other at some point :) ... The Terrapin encore has a significance due to the fact that it hadn't been played as an encore for a long time and there was a reason for the very short first set . Do you remember what that was about ?

I wish I could remember for sure but if my feeble memory serves me, someone had technical difficulties on stage, and they ended it early.

Guest DEAD HEAD
I wish I could remember for sure but if my feeble memory serves me, someone had technical difficulties on stage, and they ended it early.
I remember the short first set and I think we were far back so stage visuals were minimal and I'm obviously burnt out to a degree ... but I think we did agree at the time the Terrapin encore was to make up for the short first set whatever the issues were , but your probably right on and we could probably blame it on Bobby's equipment :D ...

My friend said it the best about last nite. These guys make me appreciate the '90's set lists. And yes Mason you are right, that Foolish Heart was spectacular! A great way to start their tour. Tonite? Who knows, and who really cares. One of my favorite places to be, in the room when the Dark Star Orchestra is at work! Hey I checked out the Denver Art Museum and anyone that can, should visit the Psychedelic Experience. Especially with DSO in town! Some great original posters, handbills, movie clips that I've never seen before. I won't tell you who greets you when you walk in, you'll have to go there to see for yourself. We are all in this scene (band included) because of these beginnings. I had fun. JC

I enjoyed the show last night and the band played very very well. I don't think I ever saw the Dead play Women are Smarter as well as DSO did last night. That said, I will don my flame retardant suit and ,while admitting that we are so spoiled to have a fantastic band like these guys playing their hearts out every night, say that

I HATE THE 90'S!!!!!!! <_<

I know I'm whining when I say that I would much rather pay my $30 to see a killer show from the 70's or early 80's, or an original set. But, hey we takes what we can get, eh?

Tonight and tomorrow should be spectacular...

much love,

CB

Guest crazy digits
I enjoyed the show last night and the band played very very well. I don't think I ever saw the Dead play Women are Smarter as well as DSO did last night. That said, I will don my flame retardant suit and ,while admitting that we are so spoiled to have a fantastic band like these guys playing their hearts out every night, say that

I HATE THE 90'S!!!!!!! <_<

I know I'm whining when I say that I would much rather pay my $30 to see a killer show from the 70's or early 80's, or an original set. But, hey we takes what we can get, eh?

Tonight and tomorrow should be spectacular...

much love,

CB

Thats why eaton slipped those 3 fillers in there...6 song first sets are a joke..

Guest bluestone

Hellos everyone...

The show at the Oriental was the first DSO show I've ever been to.... and it was AMAZING!!! I never got to see the Dead, only really found out who they are about 8 or 9 months ago (Don't say it, I know.... where have I been?) and so it was a real treat for me to see DSO. That Terrapin was so beautiful, and I loved the a cappella in Women are Smarter. Gave me chills. The whole night was beautiful and colorful and intense, and I'll never forget it. Oh, and the drums! Simply amazing. I also loved seeing the joy in their faces while they played, it made the whole experience that much more enjoyable for me. Having never seen the Dead it's really easy for me to close my eyes and dream.

• Forum MVP
Thats why eaton slipped those 3 fillers in there...6 song first sets are a joke..

Rob Eaton puts a lot of time and work into picking the shows and does a great job at making sure every area or venue gets a rotation of different kinds of shows with minimal repeats.

That being said.... Fillers are anybody's choice as long as the singer wants to sing them.

• Forum MVP
The Terrapin encore has a significance due to the fact that it hadn't been played as an encore for a long time and there was a reason for the very short first set . Do you remember what that was about ?

The problems with the PA happened the next night, forcing them to end the set with a Masterpiece--this was just a short first set but it ended with Grow and not a Don't ease so there were no revolts.

I really have no idea about the Terrapin encore but my bet was that he WAS going to play the Terrapin after the Woman and into drums, as was customary for that song, but for whatever reason didn't and therefore, refusing to be quieted, got it in with the encore slot.

Pretty sly...

Guest DEAD HEAD
The problems with the PA happened the next night, forcing them to end the set with a Masterpiece--this was just a short first set but it ended with Grow and not a Don't ease so there were no revolts.

I really have no idea about the Terrapin encore but my bet was that he WAS going to play the Terrapin after the Woman and into drums, as was customary for that song, but for whatever reason didn't and therefore, refusing to be quieted, got it in with the encore slot.

Pretty sly...

Man you've got a good memory Dstone !!!

and yes I agree , if Jerry wanted to play Terrapin , He was going to get it in before the show was over , and he did ... Jerry was the Man !!!

You are witnessing the birth of a Starhead. This might be the best post I have read in a long time. Welcome home Bluestone

Hellos everyone...

The show at the Oriental was the first DSO show I've ever been to.... and it was AMAZING!!! I never got to see the Dead, only really found out who they are about 8 or 9 months ago (Don't say it, I know.... where have I been?) and so it was a real treat for me to see DSO. That Terrapin was so beautiful, and I loved the a cappella in Women are Smarter. Gave me chills. The whole night was beautiful and colorful and intense, and I'll never forget it. Oh, and the drums! Simply amazing. I also loved seeing the joy in their faces while they played, it made the whole experience that much more enjoyable for me. Having never seen the Dead it's really easy for me to close my eyes and dream.

Guest bluestone
You are witnessing the birth of a Starhead. This might be the best post I have read in a long time. Welcome home Bluestone

Thanks a million man, you just gave me the warm fuzzies. :)

Rob, thanks for the '91 show, a nice way to start off the tour.

sorry mason, i know we had a grate time, but this show just did not do it for me ...

maybe it was because i ended up hearing china doll, bertha, let it grow, GDTRFB and man smart/ woman smarter multiple times

i know the dead used to do it, but this is DSO , they got so much material to work with,

plus this is the first show of a tour, with a victim or the crime second set opener?

kinda weak if you ask me...but then again , im not the biggest 90's fan...

just my 2cents

Guest captain420
sorry mason, i know we had a grate time, but this show just did not do it for me ...

maybe it was because i ended up hearing china doll, bertha, let it grow, GDTRFB and man smart/ woman smarter multiple times

i know the dead used to do it, but this is DSO , they got so much material to work with,

plus this is the first show of a tour, with a victim or the crime second set opener?

kinda weak if you ask me...but then again , im not the biggest 90's fan...

just my 2cents

I was bummed this run, the jerry tunes didn't explode. what did we get, china doll, peter, and attics...lame-o-la...I know it's not your fault John..

I was grateful for the High Time, built to last, stranger, and shakedown....the dew was okay, didn't blow me away like most of the tour turned out. The Dark Star was nice with a little Feeling Groovy Jam...

The fillers put me to sleep though, like they have been for over a year now...fucking weight. Blues away. stir it up, midnight. yawWN and RipPLE....just my 2 cents. Seems like the band is getting lazy, used to be a much more variety of tunes...gone are the days..

Nothing peaked like the 'Stop That Train', or the stella in FL..

Tried to make amends with Eaton, but he was too busy. I hope he got the small gift from Gary the next night..

Time for a Hiatus...fare thee well!

Guest captain420
Mason your a jack ass.... The last thing any of us are is "LAZY". We put our heart and soul into everything we do. We are away from friends and family for long periods of time and for you to sit at your computer and call us "Lazy" is almost the biggest insult you could have come up with..... Fuck You!

Ad hominem argument is most commonly used to refer specifically to the ad hominem abusive, or argumentum ad personam, which consists of criticizing or attacking the person who proposed the argument (personal attack) in an attempt to discredit the argument. It is also used when an opponent is unable to find fault with an argument, yet for various reasons, the opponent disagrees with it.

I was bummed this run, the jerry tunes didn't explode. what did we get, china doll, peter, and attics...lame-o-la...I know it's not your fault John..

I was grateful for the High Time, built to last, stranger, and shakedown....the dew was okay, didn't blow me away like most of the tour turned out. The Dark Star was nice with a little Feeling Groovy Jam...

The fillers put me to sleep though, like they have been for over a year now...fucking weight. Blues away. stir it up, midnight. yawWN and RipPLE....just my 2 cents. Seems like the band is getting lazy, used to be a much more variety of tunes...gone are the days..

Tried to make amends with Eaton, but he was too busy. I hope he got the small gift from Gary the next night..

mason I think next time you should spend more time on my side. not to say I always connect with the music. I had a tough night in Denver for my own reasons I think. But the next four nights were incredible. You got in to the second set of Aspen, which had some of the finest moments of lyrical inspiration I've ever seen...That DEW would have been a show in it self. Your post gives the impression that Robs lack of "time" for you might be more of the problem your having. I can not think the music was the problem because what I came away thinking was that the sacrifice that the band makes to keep the bus on the road is beyond my understanding. I must say I loved the music. Just maybe consider the possibility that your personal connection (good or bad) with the band has had an effect on your overall show experience. I just figure that the band, crew, and crowd thinks Im a jackass and then I have no expectations. I got to say that one of the wonders of a dead show for me was the fact that I had zero personal interaction with Jerry but without fail he would make me feel like the song was sung for me. The magic is in every note, ready for us to let go enough to understand it and live it.

I don't know you but from your posts here...Which frequently seem to be hyper-critical and picayunish. Are you one of those people that is never satisfied!? With anything? This bands repertoire is enormous, yet you criticize them for being lazy? What Rob said dude! Get over yourself...

Archived