Denver - Oriental

Guest captain420

Guest captain420
mason I think next time you should spend more time on my side. not to say I always connect with the music. I had a tough night in Denver for my own reasons I think. But the next four nights were incredible. You got in to the second set of Aspen, which had some of the finest moments of lyrical inspiration I've ever seen...That DEW would have been a show in it self. Your post gives the impression that Robs lack of "time" for you might be more of the problem your having. I can not think the music was the problem because what I came away thinking was that the sacrifice that the band makes to keep the bus on the road is beyond my understanding. I must say I loved the music. Just maybe consider the possibility that your personal connection (good or bad) with the band has had an effect on your overall show experience. I just figure that the band, crew, and crowd thinks Im a jackass and then I have no expectations. I got to say that one of the wonders of a dead show for me was the fact that I had zero personal interaction with Jerry but without fail he would make me feel like the song was sung for me. The magic is in every note, ready for us to let go enough to understand it and live it.

I think I am done Tye, no next time.

Honestly, who wants to support a band any furthur after 7 years of loyalty when a member calls you a "jackass" and says "fuck you", when you give an opinion about a show/tour. Especially after promoting the shows all over town. No other member of this band has done that.

He has put his foot in his mouth before about Jersey Steve and it ended up in the press. Numerous people have left this board due to him.

I have seen this band and I have been satisfied. 48 shows in 7 years. Maybe too may shows and not enough space between so there are many repeats from tour to tour. Sorry, but I am critical and anal about the music I love and pay to see. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I am done Tye, no next time.

Honestly, who wants to support a band any furthur after 7 years of loyalty when a member calls you a "jackass" and says "fuck you", when you give an opinion about a show/tour. Especially after promoting the shows all over town. No other member of this band has done that.

He has put his foot in his mouth before about Jersey Steve and it ended up in the press. Numerous people have left this board due to him.

I have seen this band and I have been satisfied. 48 shows in 7 years. Maybe too may shows and not enough space between so there are many repeats from tour to tour. Sorry, but I am critical and anal about the music I love and pay to see. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

NO! aint gonna happen. Who F'n cares what they might think. Eatons got a right to defend himself whichever way he does. The BS on this chat or the after show attention doesn't matter. Its all about the music. You are an important part of the show when your enjoying it. You got to keep going and forget what anybody thinks. If I let the BS on this board, or the bands attention to me, stop me from going to shows, then I obviously don't care about the MUSIC enough. Those people don't matter anyway. Forget about all this forum shit and attitudes and remember how important the music is to you. These guys have become one of your favorite bands because of their music not their ability to be your friend. Keep going as much as possible and let the music be the focus, not songs or people. I tend to blame myself if I don't love a show. It helps me to keep coming back. I know you would be missed by many...Leaving is not an option. Anyhow, see you next time and remember the last song that you heard in aspen, love them and they will love you....It must be really harsh to get complaints while maintaining the schedule they do. I know I cant keep up...

Guest captain420

Trying to sell my Dead ticket for a few reasons...I've seen the dead before with warren. I'm not a huge fan of Warren. I won all 4 red rocks phish shows in the lottery, a surprise. No one else I have talked to has won any tickets at all, let alone 4. I really don't have the money to cover both acts, too bad I'm not rich. I love red rocks and phish. I love the Dead but they are playing pepsi center and no Jerry. I still might go to the dead show if I can't sell it and pray I can pay the bills and still have job. I still love the GD more than Phish, to put it briefly...I got thousands of dead shows, and like a dozen phish shows, if that. Warren in the Jerry seat, well...isn't my cup of tea. And the lot lounge thing still makes me barf, not the same dead as years past. So that's why.

I did say, 'seems like the band is getting lazy'

I guess lazy was the wrong word. Poor choice and repetitive songs would be more a proper fit, like others stated.

I have high standards for you guys because I have witnessed pure magic. As of late, I have been let down..... musically. I take this music seriously like all of you. Probably too far at times. Like I've said before, I go for musicianship. No one hears the music like I do at a show. Sure, some newbie would be blown away by a sub-par show, but the experienced know better.

Kind of like you and 90s dead Rob..you walked out many a 90s dead show,...right? Maybe you know how I'm feeling.

Another reason why I'm selling my dead ticket....Spoiled. By DSO.

I'm a head for life NFA. Don't worry about that Robby. JERRY LIVES!

To all the real people that know me, that I have met along the golden road, peace, you have special place in my heart and I thank you for everything.

To the people that don't know me. Well, you don't know me do you? So STFU.

But for now, I will take a step back and will slowly fade away.

Trying to sell my Dead ticket for a few reasons...I've seen the dead before with warren. I'm not a huge fan of Warren. I won all 4 red rocks phish shows in the lottery, a surprise. No one else I have talked to has won any tickets at all, let alone 4. I really don't have the money to cover both acts, too bad I'm not rich. I love red rocks and phish. I love the Dead but they are playing pepsi center and no Jerry. I still might go to the dead show if I can't sell it and pray I can pay the bills and still have job. I still love the GD more than Phish, to put it briefly...I got thousands of dead shows, and like a dozen phish shows, if that. Warren in the Jerry seat, well...isn't my cup of tea. And the lot lounge thing still makes me barf, not the same dead as years past. So that's why.

I did say, 'seems like the band is getting lazy'

I guess lazy was the wrong word. Poor choice and repetitive songs would be more a proper fit, like others stated.

I have high standards for you guys because I have witnessed pure magic. As of late, I have been let down..... musically. I take this music seriously like all of you. Probably too far at times. Like I've said before, I go for musicianship. No one hears the music like I do at a show. Sure, some newbie would be blown away by a sub-par show, but the experienced know better.

Another reason why I'm selling my dead ticket....Spoiled. By DSO.

I'm a head for life NFA. Don't worry about that. JERRY LIVES!

To all the real people that know me, that I have met along the golden road, peace, you have special place in my heart and I thank you for everything.

To the people that don't know me. Well, you don't know me do you? So STFU.

But for now, I will take a step back and will slowly fade away.

I assume your STFU was for my benefit...You never saw the Grateful Dead correct? I don't know you but in the context of this cyber kinetic realm of the internet...I took offense at you calling the band "lazy"...I appreciate anyone who takes music seriously and in your heart of hearts I sense you know these guys are doing serious justice to the legacy...but lazy is so not how I perceive this band to be... Devoted, adherent, and committed come to mind..I thought after Jerry died it was over ...but lo and behold I went to see DSO @ the Fillmore a few years back and was transported to a place that was so dear to my heart that I had tears rolling down my face... so I apologize for my reaction to your post but I truly appreciate what this band is doing...Sometimes we all need to "Take a Step Back"

peace,

Sonomajon

Hey Herdy, Who took JACKASS of the year off of you ? I didn't get a vote ! As far as this conversation, WHO AM I TO QUESTION WHAT THESE GUYS PLAY ???? I will tell you this Mason; I spent many BEAUTIFUL years griping about JERRY'S song selections and the band's as a whole. I will also tell you this; IT was the BIGGEST waste of my time and energy. IF I COULD ONLY GO BACK !!!!!!! To My DSO friends and of course fans of DSO, I love you all !!!!

Anth

Guest darbysdad

Words,Words,Words.....Sometimes They Slip Out,Sometimes They Are Misconstrued,Sometimes They Sting,Sometimes They Hurt,Sometimes They Soothe,..But They Are Only Words!

Please Let Fences Be Mended And Cooler Heads (Pun Intended) Prevail

Peace From Afar,

Jerry

I am always confused by the argument of a critical fuck that says "well, i take the music serious", or someone deserves the front row because "i have high standards"

it's like they feel it's ok to be a dick, by being self-righteous. having an opinion is one thing, but having a sense of self-entitlement because you are not a "newbie" is lame. i am sorry, music is not intended to be taken so seriously. DSO enjoys playing this music, we love hearing it...that is it...this is supposed to be fun.

and the analogy between 90s GD and DSO is laughable...

Guest captain420
I am always confused by the argument of a critical fuck that says "well, i take the music serious", or someone deserves the front row because "i have high standards"

Straw Man fallacy.

Which is it? Focus on one. I guess I don't get your lame argument. NEXT!

it's like they feel it's ok to be a dick, by being self-righteous.

Do I even need to explain the fault in this statement. Hilarious! Tables will turn.

having an opinion is one thing, but having a sense of self-entitlement because you are not a "newbie" is lame. i am sorry, music is not intended to be taken so seriously. DSO enjoys playing this music, we love hearing it...that is it...this is supposed to be fun.

Says who? You? Pretty self-righteous don't you think?

Music encompasses many different feelings and emotions, for you to single them out is illogical. NEXT!

and the analogy between 90s GD and DSO is laughable...

Still don't get it do you?

Eaton, displeased with the GD.

Mason, displeased with DSO.

I never compared 90's dead to DSO. Just the fact that Eaton walked out of several 1990 Grateful Dead shows feeling let down. Do I need to explain furthur?

I take the music seriously, sorry if you don't get what I am saying. I have not met you and I am not going to start any childish name calling, such as 'critical fuck' or 'dick'..like some choose to do. It is easy to throw names around, but not so easy for people to actually formulate sound arguments.

I believe I have every right to throw down my opinion about a show or a band, mostly if you are paying your earned money to support the band and see the show. If I didn't give a damn about them, I probably wouldn't say a damn word.

Sorry if you cannot comprehend what I am saying. It's not my first rodeo cowboy.

It is like a form of church to me.

I have been to dso shows where I have wept with tears falling down my face...Stella Blue, jannus. Sugaree, ledges with DanK. Beyond tears, Stop That Train, Jacksonville.

• Forum MVP
I believe I have every right to throw down my opinion about a show or a band, mostly if you are paying your earned money to support the band and see the show. If I didn't give a damn about them, I probably wouldn't say a damn word.

Sorry if you cannot comprehend what I am saying. It's not my first rodeo cowboy.

Well Mason, I don't really think I know you but I have met you and I do like you. The one thing that's going to get you nowhere, however, is your stance that you hear music somehow differently than others or the "no one hears the music like I do" stuff. You gotta remember that you are talking to people that have been to 100, 200, 300, 400, and more GD shows---people that have been touched by Garcia and the boys, in person, in a million different ways. People who hear the intricacies of the music and people who know the music. So to me, some reality testing is probably in order here.

I love you and Torin and Jordan because you guys love this music and you are all kind souls. And you have always seemed to be a nice guy in my eyes so I'm sorry this is going down like this right now, but it's probably just a bump in the road. You are young and have the right to put your foot in your mouth because every single one of us on here has--maybe excluding Herdy.

My perspective, and this is just mine, has always been that if I go to a DSO show and it doesn't move me, for whatever reason, I keep it to myself on these boards. What is the point to talk about something a band that you love does that didn't move you? I know that there are a lot of reasons this can happen (personal taste; what specific sounds cause dopamine to be released in your brain; your mood in the context of the music in that moment; the crowd; and about a three thousand four hundred more). So, to me, some of your posts about what hasn't moved you were something I just skipped over.

My main point in all this rambling is that I get being critical and analyzing music, but this is obviously an incredibly personal thing to these guys, and that's one of the many reasons why they are a special band--they go at it with all their heart and all their soul. It's like if there was this board back in the day with the GD--would you feel comfortable writing how much you are sick of Garia's version of the Weight, knowing that he would see that? In my mind, it's just not very cool my friend. That doesn't mean everyone has to be seeing rainbows and waterfalls all the time but I think it does mean people should be sensative about how they say things.

That's all I got and of course these are my opinions and may not be shared at all by the band or the people of this message board.

I hope I will see you around at some SF shows soon--I will always have some great sounding shows for you.

Mason your a jack ass.... The last thing any of us are is "LAZY". We put our heart and soul into everything we do. We are away from friends and family for long periods of time and for you to sit at your computer and call us "Lazy" is almost the biggest insult you could have come up with..... Fuck You!

oh my my my

a few days away from the board and boys,

things are getting outta hand!

first off

Mason-

I love you

but

you get what you bring

who's lazy? certainly not this band

but, if you just stand there very night

night after night

of course you will got bored

the magic is in the live interaction between the music, the people, the band and the space between

open your eyes, turn around, connect with the folks around you

move your feet and exchange some energy

like we say at Burning Man

No Spectators!!!

Everyone is a Participant.

second

leave your expectations at the door

expectations = disappointment

I saw my first Dead shows in 78

hated them

kept going to shows, but hated them

I did not "catch the fire" until 1981

but still, I left one out of four (or more) Dead shows dissatisfied even after I was "on the bus"

nature of the beast

try try again

I don't love everything this band does

I can be as critical as anyone, or more so

but

I feel blessed to have this "second life" with DSO

I feel blessed that Warren can bring Stella to life with Bobby & Phil

and I feel Jerry smiling down on me like a warm ray of sunshine every time I hear the tune

be the puppet on the string

let your mind go

blessings and praise to the most high

-e

• Forum MVP
but, if you just stand there very night

night after night

of course you will got bored

the magic is in the live interaction between the music, the people, the band and the space between

Not sure of the relevance of this...I know PLENTY of heads that aren't big movers but there's a volcano of stuff going on inside. I know I don't just start dancing with the opening note--I have to feel it first--have to be moved to move.

But this has absolutely nothing to do with anything from my perspective.

• Advisory Board
Hey Herdy, Who took JACKASS of the year off of you ?

What's with all the questions??

You are young and have the right to put your foot in your mouth because every single one of us on here has--maybe excluding Herdy.

I have the 'Foot in Mouth' disease... I can't help myself...

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP
What's with all the questions??

I have the 'Foot in Mouth' disease... I can't help myself...

:dsorocks:

Me too! Can we end this please. There is so many other issues to deal with!! Peace, Rob

Me too! Can we end this please. There is so many other issues to deal with!! Peace, Rob

That would be "there are so many other issues to deal with" such as ESL LOL RB

• Advisory Board

What the man in the purple bandanna said!!!

Ain't no time to hate, folks... life's wayyyyy to short for the bullshit.

Who wants to help me out with my problems?? I scared my last shrink into alcoholism...

Guest Rob Eaton

I had a good friend who I grew up with in Vermont who used to get beat by his stepfather once a week. As his stepfather would pull the belt from it's straps he would say "I'm doing this for your own good... I love you that much"..... Sometimes love gets misdirected!

At his request Mason is no longer a member of the forums.

NOW END IT!!

Now END what? Mason stated his opinion. Be it a little harsh and misplaced...Eaton felt he needed to defend his work....harshly as well.Its all in in in the review section...where it belongs. The reality that it has led to Mason being removed from the boards is sad. From my point of view...taper ron is the harshest authoritarian here or maybe the only authoritarian. With nothing to defend or support except the healthy dialogue of this forum I think you should let the dialogue continue. You always are making some dramatic threat to shut the forum down or remove someone. I guess I need to be removed to in order to keep the kiss ass repetition flowing. Cant we discuss the music as we experience it. Its a harsh world, I think this forum should be able to be a place to vent and explore various opinions. We might get offended sometimes but we should be able to have a response without the fear of being removed. Mason gave his time to this forum and offered his opinion when he had one. It is important to remember the weight that people put on this music. Dissapoinment in a show or song choice is often a weakness in ourselves. We tend to blame the people and things that mean the most to us when we are not having the best time. Eaton knows how hard the band works. For every person that has a complaint there is a flock of people willing to kiss his ass no matter what he does.

Maybe there isnt enough excitement on the boards lately and taper ron needs to make this a big deal. It is all perfectly human in my eyes and Mason should be able to review shows how he sees them...and all of us should be able to respond the way we want...that is what a review forum is all about right?

• Forum MVP
...The reality that it has led to Mason being removed from the boards is sad...We might get offended sometimes but we should be able to have a response without the fear of being removed.

Mason was not removed--he removed himself.

Mason's account was deleted at his request. I did not ask him to leave or force him to leave, in fact I tried repeatedly to talk him out of leaving. He was very insistent because of the things that were said about him in the forums and apparently PM's he received. I did not ask him to change or not express his opinion. In fact I have not said a word against Mason.

My concern is the name calling. As I have stated on numerous occasions I will not condone such childish behavior. As you may know .org shut down due to such nonsense. I will do what it takes to keep these forums a fun place.

Eaton knows how hard the band works. For every person that has a complaint there is a flock of people willing to kiss his ass no matter what he does.
So, both Rob and I are getting our asses kissed?

Everyone is welcome to there opinion including me!

• Advisory Board

tbones my friend, Taper Ron just tries his best to keep the peace here. There is no sort of censorship on this board, you are able to say what you want. The problem is when certain users post hurtful things on purpose to another forum member or band member is when he steps in. If he did not do this at times, this board would eventually wind up like .org did... 90% of threads on that board dedicated to ignorant, hurtful, or argumentative topics while the other 10% of threads were meant for the music. Is that where you want to see this board go? I certainly do not.

Mason has a tendency of posting things that are directly aimed at hurting a certain band member(s) or forum member(s)feelings. He knew exactly what kind of reaction he was going to get from Eaton when he posted his "review" of no particular show, but DSO in general. This has been going on for quite a while. You talk to Mason in person, and he's a very kind, soft spoken person, but once behind the keyboard, at times, Dr. Jekyll turnes into Mr. Hyde. If Mason wants to 'fade away', then that's his buisness. I enjoyed Mason on here at times, but there were many times where in my opinion, he made hurtful comments just to get a rise out of someone. That is one thing that I will not miss.

As for Taper Ron, the old coot has a tendency to overreact on occasion, but him saying he will "end it" or "shut it down" is his way of telling everyone to get back on track, and to stop the bullshit for that certain thread. Kinda like when you were in High School, and the whole class started to get disruptive, and the teacher slamming down a book, or harshly telling the room to QUIET...

And for him being an old coot, he's one helluva nice guy who I am proud to call my friend. All he wants to do is keep the peace, and to keep the "trolling-for-trouble" bullshit to a minimum.

Is that where you want to see this board go? I certainly do not.

No. I come from the camp that never has a negative opinion of DSO. I really love it all.

I agree with the fact that some of masons posts are intended to get a rise.....I dont know mason well but but have got used to having him around.

Whether he took himself off or was taken off its still sad...but I wasnt the one recieving the negativity. But as far as ass kissing...my opinion after reading nearly every review post for the last 3 years i would tend to think that there is a lot of ass kissing...Its only natural I suppose...My only point regarding taper Ron is that he sees a danger in certain threads that I do not see...but then again I would not want the job of monitoring the dialogue on this site..

Archived