Denver - Oriental

Guest captain420

Guest Rob Eaton

at 48 years old the last thing I need or am looking for is 'ass kissing"... As I've said several times already my response was solely directed at the "Lazy" comment. A comment that every band and crew member I spoke to about got offended. we bust our ass's every day on the road. Mason has been taking aim at me for some time and that's fine but calling the band "Lazy" was an insult to not only me but the entire DSO organization. There is nothing wrong with not really liking a show or feeling you didn't get the songs you want.. Those are all normal feelings that we've all had. There is no way to please everyone but when it gets personal we have a right to speak up just as the rest of you do.... Read around the internet DSO is lambasted (not ass kissed) on most forums some getting very personal. I would say we have to read and deal with more bullshit on the net then most. This little space we have here is the only place that seems to have mature discussions about many things, the music is one of those our performances of the music would be another. expressing yourself is a wonderful and welcome thing, doing it to to get a rise or be hurtful is not what any forum should be about in my opinion. That being said Mason will be missed and I think it's sad he felt he needed to go....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
.... Read around the internet DSO is lambasted (not ass kissed) on most forums some getting very personal. I would say we have to read and deal with more bullshit on the net then most. This little space we have here is the only place that seems to have mature discussions about many things, the music is one of those our performances of the music would be another. expressing yourself is a wonderful and welcome thing, doing it to to get a rise or be hurtful is not what any forum should be about in my opinion. That being said Mason will be missed and I think it's sad he felt he needed to go....

I absolutely agree.

This has been said many ways in many ethical and belief systems; I do not see how there could be a better touchstone for one's life: "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." Matthew 7:12.

• Forum MVP

I am sorry to see Mason go. I spent a few nights at his place during the CO run. I think a lot of the time Mason gets misunderstood and people take his criticism too far. I do not believe he meant to imply the band was lazy. We've seen the crew, the band, and every other aspect of this community bust their ass from show to show. I am not going to speculate furthur on Mason's opinions; I simply know mason loves this music, loves DSO, and i know that I will see him when were Dancing in the Streets in CO this August. Mason was and still is a good friend and a great family member. He does understand and embody the spirit of the community that starts with but goes beyond the music. Mason, i love you brother. I know no one forced Mason to leave and i hope when he decides to return we welcome him with open arms.

As for the run itself, the fillers have been a little overdone or stale if you will. That being said, the band was and always is full of energy and the crowd minus those who see shows all over the country are hearing the fillers for the first time and they really enjoy it. you can tell by the energy of their dancing. I wish bye and bye and brothers and sisters wasnt played all the time, but lazy, this band doesnt have to play a filler and we should be thankful for all the music we get.

Thank you Rob, Rob, Rob, John, Dino, Kevin and Lisa for putting all your energy out there every night. I am sure you all understand that you cant please everyone every night and i hope you continue to make this music that i love for years to come. I look forward to seeing you all in SoCal.

Mason, remember why your here. I love you brother and look forward to seeing you enjoying the music the way you like to enjoy it in the near future.

P.S. In airport bar in Kansas City and just got treated to Casey Jones over the bar radio.

Thanks for the heads up looky

I think john K. said it best, that most go to shows , to let go...

or as a sort of stress relief,

ive realized that i am a little critical of the music,

but i love and respect it more than any other band,

The grateful deads music most defintely brings me back,

without drugs or glowsticks or any of that other crap..lol

But the dead also was a traveling band,

and the shows are whats we all love, whether your at the show, or listening to the recording

Anywho , my point is, going to a show is sometimes hit or miss, if you are a little more critical,

but what ive come to realize, is I feel great after every show, even if i didnt enjoy the show too much,

Long live the dead

Long live DSO

Sigh....

dead-horse.jpg

NJ LOVES DSO.....CAN'T WAIT FOR MAY!!!

Peace

Well now Jim, that was very well put!!!

Mason, you were/are one of my "longest distant" Starhead Friends, all I can say is good luck and godspeed.... Oh, and don't ever call DSO or Rob Eaton lazy in my prescense... (Bye the way, what was it that you do for "employment" toavoid being labled as "Lazy" these days???)

Mr. Eaton and the rest of the DSO family will always have mine & my family's support, appreciation and never ending love for the SACRIFICE AND EFFORTS that they continue to make to keep all of us HAPPY and SATISFIED as often as possible!!

Bottom line,

:dsorocks: & now there will be one more open spot for a new Starhead to dance..... :D

Peace,

Alex911sc

Blietooth was born a little whilw ago and should fill in the empty space nicely.

99% of the name calling on dot org was directed at Rob.

Mason sell three phish tix pay your bills go climb a mountain and get back here with a new screen name and an open mind.

Love always,

Phil

• Forum MVP

It strikes me as kinda funny when folks see a whole or partial tour and complain about repetition. Like the band should be worried about repeating a song they played two cities ago because, jeez, somebody might be on tour. And that is construed as "lazy"? Sloppy transitions are lazy. Truncated jams are lazy. Song choices are not.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Jerry should have the leeway to play whatever the hell he chooses and bitching and moaning otherwise is a waste of energy. I might not prefer any given selection, but he's playing it because he wants to and that should be good enough.

I always thought the line in Queen Jane was more than a little ironic, especially as Bobby was beating us up with it every third show, or at least that's how it felt :) ....."and you're sick of all this repetition." But at the end of the day I understood that The Boys never owed me anything as far as song choices were concerned.

As for the "filler", well, it's a pretty sweet concept that it happens at all. "Lazy" would be US Blues -> race for the hotel. It is pretty easy to get spoiled though. Such as the Help->Slip->Voila Lee Blues->Franklin's->Bid You Goodnight filler I caught at the Fillmore a few years back! :icon14:

WOW! Well that was certainly entertaining. I think we are taking this waaaaay too seriously. I like music! Alot! Glad I have two ears and both still kinda work.

Now lets get back to our lives since time is running out.......Choices choices choices.......mmmmmmm........DSO and Throbbing Gristle in the Bay area the same time I'm there..........I think I'll go see DSO. But Thobbing Gristle is good too.......if you want to go on a murderous rampage...which seems to be in vogue lately.

Joe Bob says check out Throbbing Gristles bootleg "Marching Music for Psychic Youth".............kinda like Suicide on depressants.

Don't make me start telling stories on here.........I'm warning you now!

And by the way, I would be remiss if I did not point out that apparently most people on here do not know the difference between "your" and "You're".......but then that's just nitpicking..........

• Forum MVP
And by the way, I would be remiss if I did not point out that apparently most people on here do not know the difference between "your" and "You're".......but then that's just nitpicking..........

If your a grammar teacher, that would be the least of your concerns at this wonderful site. Their is a lot of nitpicking to be done.

• Forum MVP

I'm not through beating the Dead horse.....

As you know, we are not the Grateful Dead but if you would like us to act more like them we can whip out U.S. Blues or Johnny B. Good ever night and that would be that (concept previously stated). I suggest if U.S. Blues is the encore we play Johnny Be Good for the filler and if Johnny Be Good be the encore we do U.S. Blues for the filler so that people never have to have the high expectation of a five song filler of rarities and barn burners. ... Or better yet, If you want something new, maybe we should bring back "I Fought the Law" as a regular closer. I've been wanting to do that for a long time. (I'm just teasing you all and pushing buttons).

I speak for myself only. I was neither bothered nor offended by the "lazy" comment. But I see why Rob would be offended. I simply know that it is untrue and this is what I expressed to Rob. And I believe this is so obvious that not much comment is needed. That's my opinion only. That's how I personally handle things much of the time. Most of you starheads stick up for the band well enough when someone makes an outlandish comment that I don't worry about it. That's how I am wired. My buttons can get pushed but it's pretty tough to do so. That's me. Everyone has a different threshold for when they get offended and feel they need to defend.... or counter attack... or even educate. Perhaps it may be better for me to speak up more and not let things slide.... But that's up for me to decide. Everyone has a right to react to comments how they see fit but hopefully (as Taper Ron states) with some civility intact. If you want to act disrespectfully and you want outrageous drama with people attacking others for the fun of it there are plenty other boards for that. (philzone ... did I say that out loud?... I'm not saying that about all Philzoners... just a lot of them... that's what they choose to do for fun). But this board can be and should be different than others in a more positive way.

I think the key thing here is that we to keep this forum a place where opinions and, yes, criticisms can be openly expressed as long as they are respectfully presented ... or at least with some humor involved. I believe Taper Ron is doing a great job at mediating and keeping this place respectfully civil. However, if we are going to keep this place from being a bore fest where everyone agrees on everything and people don't speak out when they don't agree because they are afraid (and therefore a place like heaven where nothing ever happens.... that would also result in no one posting and this forum totally drying up) then we have to accept that sometimes posts, ideas, or criticisms, and even musical performances will get criticized. But we all have to accept the fact that if you criticize, your critique can be criticized and that your opinion may even be out of touch with reality (what ever that is) ....and you may have a bunch of people jump on you if your critique is not popularly held. It's the nature of an open forum. The other fact that we all must remember is that some people's opinions will be held higher than others because of multifarious and manifold reasons. In an ideal word perhaps this wouldn't be the case ... but folks, we live on planet earth.

..... so all I have to say is.

I see you've got your list out

Say your piece and get out

Guess I get the gist of it, but

It's all right

Sorry that you feel that way

The only thing there is to say

Every silver lining's got a

Touch of grey

QUOTE (Vortex @ Apr 7 2009, 04:03 PM)

The other fact that we all must remember is that some people's opinions will be held higher than others because of multifarious and manifold reasons.

Ya know, it seems to be "people's opinions" that are always cauing problems.... Fortunately or not, we all got em..... :rolleyes:

Peace!!

Alex911sc

• Forum MVP
I'm going to need a ruling on this. Where's Chuck?

It's stimudus ofiliomundus.

whoops I forgot .... you don't speak Latin. :)

.... Something wrong with my usage? How about "many varied reasons." instead.

It's stimudus ofiliomundus.

whoops I forgot .... you don't speak Latin. :)

.... Something wrong with my usage? How about "many varied reasons." instead.

Sorry man....I'm a drummer......what did you expect? Oh, wait a minute.......

E. plurbus unum.......you have more than one "unum" Can I get a BA DA BOOM?....................anybody?.........anybody?

I think the key thing here is that we to keep this forum a place where opinions and, yes, criticisms can be openly expressed as long as they are respectfully presented ... or at least with some humor involved. I believe Taper Ron is doing a great job at mediating and keeping this place respectfully civil. However, if we are going to keep this place from being a bore fest where everyone agrees on everything and people don't speak out when they don't agree because they are afraid (and therefore a place like heaven where nothing ever happens.... that would also result in no one posting and this forum totally drying up) then we have to accept that sometimes posts, ideas, or criticisms, and even musical performances will get criticized. But we all have to accept the fact that if you criticize, your critique can be criticized and that your opinion may even be out of touch with reality (what ever that is) ....and you may have a bunch of people jump on you if your critique is not popularly held. It's the nature of an open forum. The other fact that we all must remember is that some people's opinions will be held higher than others because of multifarious and manifold reasons. In an ideal word perhaps this wouldn't be the case ... but folks, we live on planet earth.

long live the DSO FORUM lol

Archived