Delfest

Guest L~Cat

Guest Lisacat

Wow. Incredible show- one of the best I've seen. Also the muddiest. In fact, tonight was my very first time ever getting muddy in my life. And yes, I survived. It even washed off!

Can't remember details for who sat in for each song, but a couple of guys (one son) from the mccoury band sat in for much of the show and Del sat in during Deep Elem and Dark Hollow....

Setlist was something like this:

Acoustic:

On the road again

Must have been the roses

Bobby mcgee

Deep elem

Dark hollow!!!

Catfish john

(Might be missing something here) Race is on?

Ripple

Electric:

Viola>

Cumberland blues>

Viola

Cold rain and snow

Masterpiece

Wheel

Uncle johns band,

Nfa>

Gdtrfb>

Nfa

Encore: Bid you goodnight

I thought the whole set up there was great too.....beautiful setting, CLEAN bathrooms and showers (They were in there at least twice during the day bleaching the floor- what more could you ask for at a festival?), good beer and food....hope dso gets invited back next year!

A simple amazing weekend. I agree with Lisa one of my all time best. The mandolin and fiddle added so much to the show. I can't believe the fun we had sliding around in that shitty smelling mud. It was so good to see everyone. Each and every song was incredible. My favorites were Catfish John, Viola, Cumberland Viola, Cold Rain, Masterpiece, and all of the rest. Thank you DSO for putting out such a spectacular show to start off this upcoming tour. John kept playing off of the fiddle and mandolin player through out the night. The mandolin player was Del McCory's son who someone in the crowd said is a Dead head. The madolin player is someone in their band. Del himself came out and sang Dark Hollow and he played on Deep Elem Blues. "What dya think of them dark stars?" He said to the crowd.

The festival had some very severe weather on Saturday. People described it like it was a tornado. No one was seriously hurt but the carnage it left was significant. Hence the muddiness. Apparently they laid hay down that had been in a barn or something like that. Way to go Lisa slippin and a slidin with the rest of us. Nothing left to do but smile smile smile.

See you on Wednesday

• Advisory Board

Best.... show..... ever....

Wow... is all I can say about this show... THE most energy I've ever felt comming from the stage... Simply mind blowing experience! Every member on stage was feeding off of each other, and I have no idea how they didn't explode into a million pieces at certain points... LOVED Kevin ripping bass solo during Catfish.. All eyes were on him while he tore that bass up like he play playing lead guitar... Hope to catch more of that magic down the road this tour!

NEED a copy of this show!!

Guest crazy digits

Thank God Kira described everything in detail because my energy was left there last night....Only thing she did not mention was Cornmeal...They are absolutely one of the best bands on the scene today...I was blown away with their set prior to Del's set ( during the day ) and mesmerized by their late night set after DSO finsihed their 3 HOUR giant! BTW, Kira may have missed the 2 Cornmeals and this is why no comments?

I agree with Herdy on this one, the DSO show ( and friends ) was a top 5 and possibly the best I have ever heard. I cannot remember a time where everyone on stage was smiling and locked in like that...The McCourys are the coolest family and the most gracious folks you would want to play with ( at least, it seemed like that to me )... I literally thought my head was going to explode with laughter, joy and tears....I could not dance fast enough, the mud was about 4 inches deep ( I finally came to the party and took my shoes off ) and it never felt so freaking awesome.. ...The Roses was maybe the highlight for me although played without any of the McCourys...I just love that song and John's voice was inspiring to say the least.....Having said that, the Viola>cumby>Viola was intense, sick, ill, jumpy and just plain silly. Also, the McCourys could sit in the entire tour and never take away a thing, in fact, it is a tour I would want to cancel all of my home life for...what a great night, one I will never forget...Thanks..

Also, Ronnie McCoury ( I believe ) also sat in with Cornmeal late night...the guy is really infectious..Peace and love folks.

• Forum MVP

I could not add another comment about this show that hasen't been said already .It was the sickest stuff I've ever heard in my life.I think they were singing ,Mamma said ,don't go near that river ,don't be hanging around no catfish Ron!!!!! love you guys,what a fun time !!!

Guest deadheadmike
Jenn and Fred got RAINED OUT BIG TIME before DSO got there....

Take a look at THIS!!!

That was an angry storm :o ... I'm glad things improved and it looks like DSO delivered an awesome show , as they always do :) !!!

:dsorocks:

Guest Lisacat
everyone's talking this one up like 5.19.07 !!

I thought the same thing.....its very difficult for me to compare the two......apples and oranges. Its also hard for me to make an objective judgement (if that is even possible). For me, my better show was 5/19 but that is because of the other variables besides the music so I was better able to be a participant 5/19....the mud and just the fact I wasn't feeling well distracted me on Sunday . So musically and energy-wise, yes Delfest was superb. I actually had to sit down a bit during the electric set and in a way it was really nice to just sit there and listen....the wheel was so soothing , the same with UJB. Hopefully there will be a recording out there so everyone can hear it!

Best.... show..... ever....

Wow... is all I can say about this show... THE most energy I've ever felt comming from the stage... Simply mind blowing experience! Every member on stage was feeding off of each other, and I have no idea how they didn't explode into a million pieces at certain points... LOVED Kevin ripping bass solo during Catfish.. All eyes were on him while he tore that bass up like he play playing lead guitar... Hope to catch more of that magic down the road this tour!

NEED a copy of this show!!

From a guy who has seen 1,000,000 Dark Star shows, that's a pretty incredible statement. You must've gotten laid too!

Hi Y'all, The votes are in, this show was one of the finest examples of professional musicianship that I have ever seen !! The mix between the

hippies of DSO and the traditional sounds of the McCourys was a sight to behold. I think it was early in the set when two of Dels boys just stood there

smiling at JK and his over the top playing. It was at this point when they realized "these hippies can play their asses off".... This was a great fest,

despite the storm. As for that, as an old camper and backpacker in earlier decades, I have seen severe weather sans shelter. However, this was the

first time I ever had the sensation of being lifted up by the wind,quite a feat considering my ample gut. Very Scary !! There were so many great bands

up there I can't mention them all. Heres a short list of favorites:

1. Cornmeal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The Lee Boys !!!!!!!!!!

3. Railroad Earth !!!!!!!!!!

4. Old Crow Medicine Show !!!!!!!!!!!!!! SICK_SICK_SICK

5. Steep Canyon Rangers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The Infamous Stringdusters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out these folks if you haven't heard them, they are all great.

One final thought, did anyone else feel the spirit of Jerry hovering over the whole scene ?, or was that just the herb that those Chicago guys had ?

• Advisory Board
Torin ,it might be ,looking back at my whole life ,all the dead shows ,jerry etc,the hottest thing I've experenced . It was that good .

Yeah, Torin... Gotta agree with my donkey friend here :)

From a guy who has seen 1,000,000 Dark Star shows, that's a pretty incredible statement. You must've gotten laid too!

248 to be exact... but who's counting... and no... I didn't get laid... felt like I did though, the show was that great!

Yes if Rob is perusing please make the Del Fest show availble...My best friend just promoted a show here in St. Louis that featured the The Travelin McCoury's.....

I would kill to get a copy of those boys playing with DSO...Ronnie is simply incredible...

Did anybody else notice how surprised Del was when he looked up while singing Dark Hollow and the WHOLE crowd was singing with him? I don't think that he's used to a crowd matching him word for word like that. When he heard it, he leaned into the mike with a smile and gave an old fashioned ''Help me out now''.What a time ,I surely hope DSO comes back next year.What more could you want?-Good friends,New friends,Seeing DSO put on a great show with a living legend in bluegrass,An awesome venue with a killer view,MOUNTAIN GOATS!!,hell I even have a thing for tornadoes.Good times indeed

Guest crazy digits
Did anybody else notice how surprised Del was when he looked up while singing Dark Hollow and the WHOLE crowd was singing with him? I don't think that he's used to a crowd matching him word for word like that. When he heard it, he leaned into the mike with a smile and gave an old fashioned ''Help me out now''.What a time ,I surely hope DSO comes back next year.What more could you want?-Good friends,New friends,Seeing DSO put on a great show with a living legend in bluegrass,An awesome venue with a killer view,MOUNTAIN GOATS!!,hell I even have a thing for tornadoes.Good times indeed

I have a certain respect for the McCoury boys like never before..the combo of that group was just plain awesome. I would pray that it happens again next year...I would drive across country to see that again...

.....looking back I still remember I was proud to be his my friend....

• Forum MVP

viola > cumberland > viola... are you fucking kidding me?!!?!!?! no joke, i've DREAMED of this combo a million times in my head!! one of my dso fantasies came true!! :lol: now they just need to do a sailor>saint>dark star>saint (with eaton singing "see the DARK star shine!!" before segueing into dark star :lol:)

• Forum MVP
(with eaton singing "see the DARK star shine!!" before segueing into dark star :lol:)

Somone finally pointed out the Dog Star to me the other week on a clear night out here--pretty bright star.

Makes sense how sailors can use it to navigate.

there have been lots of people (not necessarily on here) whining about the lack of delfest tapes.

as far as the other tapers from that weekend..i wouldn't look for anything to be out soon. a LOT of people lost EXPENSIVE gear during the storms with 70 mile an hour winds. not to mention having their entire camps wiped out by the storms. and those recordings/that weekend is a touchy situation right now for a bunch of the guys that were taping. imagine loosing $5 to 10k worth of recording equipment in one fell swoop....some guys did

and if they didn't loose any gear...imagine the time/effort to go into mastering 20 or 30 sets of music. it takes me around 4 hrs total to do everything to ONE show to get it uploaded...and that's if it was a good recording...multiply that times 20 or more

i'm not directing this at ANYONE here....just sayin that there may not be any shows from that weekend for a while or ever.

or they may start showing up tomorrow...so, just be patient...if'n ya can

and honestly...i take the shows as they come off the recorder (sometimes....like gratefulfest it's 20+gigs of music) when i'm mastering a festie...so sunday would be the last day and dso was the last main stage show...so....you do the math

Archived