La Bamba

Good Lovin'

E: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

F: Lovelite>hurts me too> How sweet it is

look about right?

DSO played la bamba? lol

was it just a jam?

or fully , lyrics and all?

sugarees over 10 minutes always do it for me !

Guest rowjimmy

Last night ended our longest dry spell between shows and it was just what the doctor ordered. Grate show, venue and crowd....safe travels to all.

Peace

Boy am I tired. What a run of shows this has been. Does each show get better or is it that we are just in the moment and it appears that way? Last night was so much fun. The band was on fire. Kevin's bass during Terrapin was going through my heart. The filler was killer. I loved La Bamba.

I have to smile being this was my 100th DSO show. Proves to me why I keep coming back. The whole night was magical. Thank you Lisa and Jimmy for dinner you are gracious hosts. All of my friends, well lots of my frineds were there and this makes the whole kit and kaboodle even better.

Born and raised in New Jersey and grateful for it. Some of the best damn dead heads you'll ever find. You know who you are.

Peace everyone don't know what tomorrow might bring or today for that matter

• Forum MVP
if dso played la bamba i might never forgive myself for missing this one

This is one of those modern era shows that anyone who has any fondness for Jerry Garcia has to have. Even for those who don't have many shows--this one is a must. I'm guessing some don't have it because of the above question and for anyone who wants the Healy matrix of this show, which is one of the best matrix recording ever made, pm me and I will send it to you.

It's the most famous post '86 show there is (apologies to Hampton '89, Nassau '90 etc...), and for good reason.

Guest Rob Eaton

Interesting thing about those famous Matrix recordings of this show and 9/19 is they were mastered by myself during that run in NYC. Healy gave Billy Rothchild and myself the PCM digital matrix masters and we went back to Studio B at Power Station in NYC (where I was a staff engineer at the time) and I spent all night mastering and cloning them. Because digital was not that together yet I had no way to make a digital clone except to go to another PCM F1. That night I made a strait Dig clone of the PCM as well as running the analogue outputs through a Neve 8068 mixing console and mastering them and re-recording them to DAT (we had the only one in the city). I played the DAT masters for a friend a few months ago at my house and it really sounds amazing...... Glad they stand the test of time. Oh by the way 4/3/86 was also one I did that night! Healy just had the PCM master in a road case and we got that as well.

Peace

Rob Eaton

• Forum MVP
Interesting thing about those famous Matrix recordings of this show and 9/19 is they were mastered by myself during that run in NYC. Healy gave Billy Rothchild and myself the PCM digital matrix masters and we went back to Studio B at Power Station in NYC (where I was a staff engineer at the time) and I spent all night mastering and cloning them. Because digital was not that together yet I had no way to make a digital clone except to go to another PCM F1. That night I made a strait Dig clone of the PCM as well as running the analogue outputs through a Neve 8068 mixing console and mastering them and re-recording them to DAT (we had the only one in the city). I played the DAT masters for a friend a few months ago at my house and it really sounds amazing...... Glad they stand the test of time. Oh by the way 4/3/86 was also one I did that night! Healy just had the PCM master in a road case and we got that as well.

Peace

Rob Eaton

Too bad they didn't pay you loads of money to do that for all of the shows from 86 to 90!

The NYC crowd reaction in response to the impassioned plea "I guess it doesn't matter, anyway" before the start of that frantic finish is one of the great moments ever captured on tape in this world or any other. I dare anyone to listen to that moment with this source and not get goose bumps.

BTW--9/12/88 is another good one.

• Forum MVP
Oh by the way 4/3/86 was also one I did that night! Healy just had the PCM master in a road case and we got that as well.

Peace

Rob Eaton

Don't have that one...but now it's going to be difficult to rest until I find it.

• Forum MVP
Don't have that one...but now it's going to be dissifult to rest until I find it.

this show was sick, really sick. sugaree was real hot, as was the Bird Song, the whole second set was pretty HUGE. Shakedown was killer, the post-drumz speaks for itself i think. catching LaBamba was a Dso moment i will never forget. Heavens door was euphoric

9.18.87 is a legendary grateful dead concert and dso did it justice

• Forum MVP
Dave ,thank you very very much ,just got it in the mail .Will listen to it going to the show tonight ,again thank you !!!

My pleasure Steve,

It's one of the few Matrix recordings you can turn up so turn that sucker up!

• Forum MVP

Said it before and I'll gladly say it again: One of my favorite shows/tapes/discs EVER. And I whole-heartedly thank Mr. Stone for the CD and DVD versions, so that I could replace my audience disc. The Women Are is sick. Terrapin? Oh Boy. And then you get to what, IMHO, is one of the best blocks of music ever played: Dew, Good Lovin>La Bamba>Good Lovin. Holy Shit!!!! And Stone is right, I have tried many times to listen to that Dew and NOT get goosebumps. I have even played it multiple times in a row and it still gives me the chills when garcia belts the "I guess it doesn't matter, anywaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" then launches into one of the most intense solos you are going to hear. There have been MANY, MANY people who have stared at me in horror when they had the pleasure of driving by me while I was listening to that Dew. Always the same look "I sure hope he's alright". Then straight into the Good Lovin and the smile gets bigger and bigger. What I would give to have been at that show.

Now where's the Dane County '73. Kevin needs to drop that sick bass solo into Eyes and all will be right in the world. :D

• Forum MVP

Peace

Rob Eaton

Thanks for the good work, Rob. I've had a PCM/Beta copy of this since 1990 and the Dew section of that tape must be thread bear.

It's amazing that Jerry mixes up the order of the 3rd and 4th verses yet never misses a beat, which results in him giving the "people gone" verse the power treatment usually only reserved for "young man mourn". Bravo!

Might be second only to 3/30/88 for pure vocal power and emotion.

Thanks for the good work, Rob. I've had a PCM/Beta copy of this since 1990 and the Dew section of that tape must be thread bear.

It's amazing that Jerry mixes up the order of the 3rd and 4th verses yet never misses a beat, which results in him giving the "people gone" verse the power treatment usually only reserved for "young man mourn". Bravo!

Might be second only to 3/30/88 for pure vocal power and emotion.

The 10-12-84 Dew is right up there in terms of vocal power and emotion...

http://www.archive.org/details/gd84-10-12-...95.sbefail.shnf

nice Oade aud as well...the whole show rips....

Archived