whichever way your pleasure tends

if you plant ice you gonna harvest wind

was it an 83?

Help Slip Franklins 2nd set opener?

just a few guessses??

i was hoping to see the list before i got sum rest

but i'll see ya ll in the morning

goodnight DSOforum

They saved the Help Slip Franklins for the filler along with Midnight Hour and Easy Wind ... I feel like we had the makings of a third set right there ... the show was smoken hot from start to finish with the most perfect China Doll , John and the band performed it beautifully ... it was a real good time !!!

10-15-83 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, Ct

1: Stranger, Dire Wolf, Minglewood, B. E. Women, Wang Dang Doodle, Big RxR Blues, Let It Grow> Day Job

2: China Cat> I Know You Rider, Playin> China Doll> Drumz> St. Stephen> Throwing Stones> Saturday Night E: Brokedown

Filler: Help > Slip > Franklins, Midnight Hour, Easy Wind

Guest Charles from Oregon

Wish I could have been there, in 83' and in 2009' When I was 17 they knocked this one out. My older brother made it to the St. Stephen on 10/31/83. Played it 3 times that year. Never did see the Grateful Dead do St. Stephen and went to 118 shows. That's what is so awesome about DSO, if you missed it then you can see it now and it might even be better.

Guest Lisacat
Filler: Help > Slip > Franklins, Midnight Hour, Easy Wind

almost.....it was:

Midnight Hour, Easy Wind, Help>Slip>Franklins

Let me first start by saying that for some inexplicable and crazy reason I had not seen this band in SIX months. Well, what a mistake that was. And I will never make that mistake again. WOW, is all I can say. I almost forgot just how good these guys were. They played with power, precision and suttlety. All the things that attracted me to them in the first place. Just freakin' dynamite. From the opening notes of Feel Like A Stranger I was hooked again. Make no mistake about it, and it's something we all know, THESE GUYS CAN SWING!! First set highlights for me were, Brown Eyed Women, Big Railroad Blues (which was just SICK), and a Let It Grow that left me staring in open mouth wonderment at both its power and precision. I was actually STUNNED by it. Speechless. The second set opener of China>Rider was fantastic, and the energy in the building was off the charts during the Rider portion. If I had been paying attention to the setlist I should have known what was coming after drums/space. But I wasn't, and SURPRISE! St. Stephen. Done in full blown 80's power and electricity. The jam afterwards was just incredible. But the highlight of the night was One More Saturday Night. To say they blew the roof off the building is an understatement. My God, what power. If they had continued just one more run through on the jam I swear I would have had a heart attack right then and there. Just AMAZING!!! Follow this up with an almost mini third set of fillers, which was highlighted by an intricate and incredibly funky Slipknot, and you have yourself one happy ride home. I haven't danced that hard since, well since I saw them the last time six months ago. I'm actually SORE this morning from thrashing my body about. As usual the band just gets better and better. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, and dare I say it, but these guys were BETTER than The Dead I saw last month. See Y'all in Atlantic City on the 10th of July. CRANK UP THAT OLD VICTROLA, PUT ON YOUR ROCKIN' SHOES!

Let me first start by saying that for some inexplicable and crazy reason I had not seen this band in SIX months. Well, what a mistake that was. And I will never make that mistake again. WOW, is all I can say. I almost forgot just how good these guys were. They played with power, precision and suttlety. All the things that attracted ME TO THEM in the first place. Just freakin' dynamite. From the opening notes of Feel Like A Stranger I was hooked again. Make no mistake about it, and it's someting we all know, THESE GUYS CAN SWING!! First set highlights for me were, Brown Eyed Women, Big Railroad Blues (which was just SICK), and a Let It Grow that left me staring in open mouth wonderment at both its power and precision. I was actually STUNNED by it. Speechless. The second set opener of China>Rider was fantastic, and the energy in the building was off the charts during the Rider portion. If I had been paying attention to the setlist I should have known what was coming after drums/space. But I wasn't, and SURPRISE! St. Stephen. Done in full blown 80's power and electricity. The jam afterwards was just incredible. But the highlight of the night was One More Saturday Night. To say they blew the roof off the building is an understatement. My God, what power. If they had continued just one more run through on the jam I swear I would have had a heart attack right then and there. Just AMAZING!!! Follow this up with an almost mini third set of fillers, which was highlighted by an intricate and incredibly funky Slipknot, and you have yourself one happy ride home. I haven't danced that hard since, well since I saw them the last time six months ago. I'm actually SORE this morning from thrashing my body about. As usual the band just gets better and better. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, and dare I say it, but these guys were BETTER than The Dead I saw last month. See Y'all in Atlantic City on the 10th of July. CRANK UP THAT OLD VICTROLA, PUT ON YOUR ROCKIN' SHOES!

Nice Review...It has been a while for me, New Years run was my last show. I am completely looking forward to GFest. I will probably be at Dewey Beach and AC too. That will be a nice week for sure. I do want to recommend that Dewey Beach Venue...Bottle and Cork, I have seen them there a couple times and had a great time.

Peace,

Joe

• Advisory Board

Y'all screwed the pooch missin this one....

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still all smiles from last night, body is HURTING, but in a good way...

See y'all in Ohio...

Guest darbysdad

I'll Tell Ya,Despite That The Factory Is Not Everyone's Cup Of Tea,It's Pretty Much My Hometown Venue And It Always Seems To Draw Many Old Friends When DSO Rolls In And Last Night Was No Exception.

The Vibe Was Just So Sweet Throughout The Night And The Music Was Absolutely Perfect.Probably Partied A Tad Too Much(Yeah Right) And Stepping Over The Bodies Of My Crew This Morning,With The Smiles Still On Their Faces,Reconfirms Why We Do What We Do.Checked In With Most All Those Invoved And Found That All Is Good,Making Me That Much Happier.

Only Bummer Is That Me Stupido Left My iPod In My Pants Pocket And The Ever Diligent And Lovely Wife Tossed The Pair Into The Washer.Can You Say Blank Everything,Zilch,Nada.

Aaron,Me Boy,I Will Be Leaning Heavily On You And Your Collection To Replenish What Has Been Lost.That Said,I Still

Have A Huge Smile Upon My Face.

Thank You Friends And Thank You DSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

this was one of those dso shows where every song was special in its own way and had its peak. i thought that the energy level was through the roof, Stranger, BigRR, Wang Dang,Let it Grow>DayJob really stood out in the first. china>rider was an explosive start to the 2nd set, ChinaDoll was gorgeous and spot-on. during Space i heard the faint notes of Stephen, confirming my Oct.'83 gut feeling, the jamming out of it into the Stones was true magic. 10.15.83 is another very special GD show and once again Dso did it justice and then some..honestly there was absolutely no better way to end it than HelpSlipFrank, dso musicianship, energy, and family -the reasons why im really trying to make it to the Higher Ground next week.

see everyone at the Ledges.

Guest Lisacat

favorite night out of the last 3 I attended.....damn I hate philly so much and the electric factory may be one of my least favorite venues but I have to give it some credit- the last two shows there were just outstanding and the strong family presence we get there is also what makes it so special. Also gives me an excuse to visit my favorite Irish pub!

Wish I could have been there, in 83' and in 2009' When I was 17 they knocked this one out. My older brother made it to the St. Stephen on 10/31/83. Played it 3 times that year. Never did see the Grateful Dead do St. Stephen and went to 118 shows. That's what is so awesome about DSO, if you missed it then you can see it now and it might even be better.

Funny story, at least I think so,.... anyway I missed the St Stephen at the Garden on the 11th of that year. And you wouldn't believe the AMOUNT of phone calls I received after that show. Every goddam deadhead in America musta called me. At least that's what it FELT like! Remember this was PRE- cell phone days, so the calls came at like 2-3 in the morning after everybody had gotten off the train and found home and then DIALED up my number. "They played ST. STEPHEN!!!!...blah blah blah...... ". Jesus, it was almost devestating to me to miss the ever elusive and so-oft requested ST. STEPHEN. No shit, I almost wanted to cry....lol... I actually think I DID cry, come to think of it! So, I had tickets to Hartford 3 days later on the 14th knowing that they ain't gonna do it. Too soon ya know, never gonna happen. But deep down inside I STILL had hope they would. But then after the show started I was just totally lost in how great it was and those yearnings to hear the "STEPHEN" were but a distant memory. Turns out they did probably one of the GREATEST Scarlet>Fire>Estimated>Eyes jams in their history. But lo and behold they do the freakin "STEPHEN" the NEXT GODDAM night!!!!! So everybody who missed it the first time around on its breakout, gets it here. "Oh man, what a bummer for you", came the replies, "you missed IT AGAIN!!!!!". "No but you don't understand man, you had to hear the Scarlet>Fire>Estimated>Eyes the night before", I so often replied. "Ah C'mon man, you heard one Scarlet>Fire you heard 'em all", they all said. "No,but you don't understand, man, this was EPIC", I was known to reply. Turns out I was right after all, as 10/14/83 winds up being Dick's Picks #5!!! So I finally felt vindicated in same strange way. Kinda like a, "see I told ya so" kinda thing......... AH SHIT!!! Who am I kidding, I can't BELIEVE I MISSED THAT GODDAM STEPHEN!!!! SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!! TWICE!!!!! Thank you Dark Star, for at least giving me a glimpse of what it was like

• Forum MVP
Funny story, at least I think so,.... anyway I missed the St Stephen at the Garden on the 11th of that year. And you wouldn't believe the AMOUNT of phone calls I received after that show. Every goddam deadhead in America musta called me. At least that's what it FELT like! Remember this was PRE- cell phone days, so the calls came at like 2-3 in the morning after everybody had gotten off the train and found home and then DIALED up my number. "They played ST. STEPHEN!!!!...blah blah blah...... ". Jesus, it was almost devestating to me to miss the ever elusive and so-oft requested ST. STEPHEN. No shit, I almost wanted to cry....lol... I actually think I DID cry, come to think of it! So, I had tickets to Hartford 3 days later on the 14th knowing that they ain't gonna do it. Too soon ya know, never gonna happen. But deep down inside I STILL had hope they would. But then after the show started I was just totally lost in how great it was and those yearnings to hear the "STEPHEN" were but a distant memory. Turns out they did probably one of the GREATEST Scarlet>Fire>Estimated>Eyes jams in their history. But lo and behold they do the freakin "STEPHEN" the NEXT GODDAM night!!!!! So everybody who missed it the first time around on its breakout, gets it here. "Oh man, what a bummer for you", came the replies, "you missed IT AGAIN!!!!!". "No but you don't understand man, you had to hear the Scarlet>Fire>Estimated>Eyes the night before", I so often replied. "Ah C'mon man, you heard one Scarlet>Fire you heard 'em all", they all said. "No,but you don't understand, man, this was EPIC", I was known to reply. Turns out I was right after all, as 10/14/83 winds up being Dick's Picks #5!!! So I finally felt vindicated in same strange way. Kinda like a, "see I told ya so" kinda thing......... AH SHIT!!! Who am I kidding, I can't BELIEVE I MISSED THAT GODDAM STEPHEN!!!! SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!! TWICE!!!!! Thank you Dark Star, for at least giving me a glimpse of what it was like

Not to rub salt in the wound because you saw some serious magic that night but the one thing I don't get is how you can witness that S>F>Est>Eyes and somehow convince yourself to stay away for the next night. Wouldn't it take several armies and a platton of deadly gorillas to keep you from attending the next show in Hartford after that?

Just curious because I'm guessing you must have had a pretty good reason--in other words, I'm hoping you weren't sitting home that night watching Dukes of Hazzard.

• Advisory Board
Just curious because I'm guessing you must have had a pretty good reason--in other words, I'm hoping you weren't sitting home that night watching Dukes of Hazzard.

That's where I was during the original show.... course, my excuse was that I was only 7 years old at the time...

Not to rub salt in the wound because you saw some serious magic that night but the one thing I don't get is how you can witness that S>F>Est>Eyes and somehow convince yourself to stay away for the next night. Wouldn't it take several armies and a platton of deadly gorillas to keep you from attending the next show in Hartford after that?

Hmmm...good question. Oh that's right, I had just started a new job working the night shift at some plastic bottling factory (which explains my absence on the 11th too, come to think of it). Looking back on it, I should've definetely opted for the show. Epecially considering I blew that job off two years later to go on tour in 85.

Guest brokedownsoul

That was an amazing show, I saw them last time they played the E factor and personally I think it was better this time. I liked the set list a little better, although some more Terrapin Station would have been nice. DSO ROCKS!

Archived