Burlington...

sonomajon

hahaha - thanks so much for the diagram of a jughandle!!!

Having lived in Australia for 14 years I am very familiar with Roundabouts. Down there where everyone is used to them they work very well. Problem is here the majority of people dont know the rules around them so it is a bit of a quagmire. Roundabouts I can deal with...the Jughandles still throw me because I have to make that sudden turn right to turn left.

Can you believe this thread started about the first night of Burlington. What a stream of conciousness.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
hahaha - thanks so much for the diagram of a jughandle!!!

Having lived in Australia for 14 years I am very familiar with Roundabouts. Down there where everyone is used to them they work very well.

Really? They have thrown me off the trail more than a few time driving around England. I always think I have the hang of them and then find a way to mess it up.

Guest chefmax
This is all in good fun Chefmax. You seem to have a hard time getting that. All of our opinions, no matter how passionately we believe them, are just that-- opinions. "Different perspective on humanity" and you take that literally? You take that seriously? My only advice to you Chef is to lighten up. For god sakes man, lighten up. This isn't the fist time you've gotten all hot and bothered.

And do yourself a favor and listen to the examples I provided you in those shows you found so disappointing (your advice to us was to listen to them before disagreeing with you and I am suggesting you do the same--you might be surprised at what you find).

You are right...I get hot and bothered when I perceive a slight.

The trouble here, my friend, just like my pally-pal the "teacher" (the only other ass-hat I have gotten chafed by)...is that I have no way of perceiving your written words.

You, apparently, know when you are "in jest", but in my ears, I hear someone talking to me like I am an idiot when all I was doing was expressing my opinion of Summer '95 and it's pros and cons....so YOU lighten up, Francis (ha-ha, just kidding).

Apparently your panties in a bunch over my comments that caused a douchey reply on your part is OK?

Get over yourself.

If I tell you to go fuck yerself, do you know the inflection of my "tone", the expression on my face, etc??...nope. So I am supposed to interpret your snidenessity as jest simply because you retroactively say it so?? Maybe try using an emoticon or something...just an opinion

You acting the ass and then saying "ha-ha, just kidding!"...as witnessed below...is something that you don't seem to get.

as I don't seem to have a hard time "getting it", as you do fucknuts (ha-ha just kidding!)...

consider these two witty zingers:

If you couldn't appreciate the emotionally heart-stopping moments that one Jerry Garcia gave us at Shorline, SLC and Seattle in 1995, then you and I have HIGHLY different perspectives on humanity.

and don't forget, my favorite...

If you thought the first two shows of the Shorline and Seattle run and the last night of SLC were a "terrible disappointment for you at the time" you should have probably stayed away all together.

Question: JUST WHAT ABOUT THE ABOVE TWO STATEMENTS FROM YOUR ORIGINAL "JEST" ARE EXACTLY SO "JESTY"...that I shouldn't have taken seriously...and when I say seriously, I mean, responded to a douchebag reply with a bit of testiness.

Answer: Nada damn thing, so get stuffed.

...just kidding.

Do yourself a favor, and learn how to write "in jest" without sounding like a sanctimonious tit.

peace out...

edited for crappy spelling

Guest chefmax

dstone,

The "terrible disappointment" of 1995 Tour had alot more to it than musical sloppiness, lame new tunes and ADMITTED (reread my first reply to you) "moments of brilliance"...from shady lot scenes, fratboy asswipes, vehicular issues, dickhead cops, and just a weird vibe to the Tour that I hadn't experienced B4.

In addition, I am not, to this day a big fan of the "new" tunes towards the end...Corinna, Liberty, etc...except for Jerry solos that to me sound recycled, they offered nothing new. MY OPINION

It all left a shitty taste in my mouth that lingered for years...until I found DSO at Revolution Hall a few years back...

the funny thing is, we were both replying to a poster bitching about getting a '95 with 2 different defenses...oh, the irony.

sorry I was a dick, sorta

Guest Mirabela

One thing this show did for me was prompt me to go to the archives and listen to a bunch of late (mid 90's) shows. I think I've been kind of unfairly hard on them. Sure, there was an era when the band played at least some shows in which they took the stage and simply did no wrong from the first note to the last, and the 90's weren't it. Granted. Still, I think I've made some serious mistakes by judging how they sounded one year against how they sounded another. The simple fact is that their sound never sat still, not even from one week to the next. I can illustrate this point easily by pointing to SPAC '88 and the Laguna Seca shows from only a month later. They're both good, but they're really different. Now, taking that same idea of "different, and okay with being different" to some of the 90's shows and 90's tunes, and a lot of it is quite listenable. I even found myself the other night appreciating an early "Corrina" -- something I was never thrilled about hearing at a show at the time. It gave the band something really different to work with than any of their other songs that were in rotation at the time. The lyrics are a little boring, granted, but it is an interesting musical space to inhabit. Anyway -- it's just not fair for me to complain that those '94 and '95 shows are junk because they don't sound like the band whose early 70's performances I fell in love with in the mid '80's. Sure, they had their issues, but there's lots of very good music there too.

The scene is another thing altogether. The whole swirl of rioters and ravers and dirtbags and addicts had gotten just about intolerable by the end. Yuck. I mean, 15-year-old crackhead runaways ... there were some sad, sad scenes in the parking lots in those last years for sure.

• Forum MVP
dstone,

The "terrible disappointment" of 1995 Tour had alot more to it than musical sloppiness, lame new tunes and ADMITTED (reread my first reply to you) "moments of brilliance"...from shady lot scenes, fratboy asswipes, vehicular issues, dickhead cops, and just a weird vibe to the Tour that I hadn't experienced B4.

In addition, I am not, to this day a big fan of the "new" tunes towards the end...Corinna, Liberty, etc...except for Jerry solos that to me sound recycled, they offered nothing new. MY OPINION

It all left a shitty taste in my mouth that lingered for years...until I found DSO at Revolution Hall a few years back...

the funny thing is, we were both replying to a poster bitching about getting a '95 with 2 different defenses...oh, the irony.

sorry I was a dick, sorta

There were a lot of horrible shows from 1995...but most of the ones you mentioned were not examples of those, at least in my mind. The Seattle run, the first two shows of Shorline and the SLC run had some magic in them--some serious magic. There were MANY shows in 1995 that had absolutely no magic in them--not a single drop or even a tiny hint. I just thought the shows you gave as examples of terrible shows (in your first post) were terrible examples.

• Forum MVP

Hell, to just have FOLLOWED '95 closely enough to know the difference between the shows with a dose of magic from those without is impressive enough "Deadication", and for that, dstone, I commend you! For the sum of '94 and '95, I know very little of the nuts and bolts that differentiated one show from the next. Some, but not much. Not only was the playing woefully uneven at best, but the sound, IMO, suffered greatly after Healy was gone. At least as far as the FOB sweet spot was concerned...

• Forum MVP
Not only was the playing woefully uneven at best, but the sound, IMO, suffered greatly after Healy was gone. At least as far as the FOB sweet spot was concerned...

True...on both accounts.

may i remind everyone that burlington was super fun?

Back to the point--thanks Frank.

and sorry for the hijacking.

True...on both accounts.

Back to the point--thanks Frank.

and sorry for the hijacking.

The best threads often take on a life of their own...so in my mind no apology necessary...Frank..will we see you on the WC in the fall?

Guest deadheadmike
may i remind everyone that burlington was super fun?
What Burlington ??? This thread is New Jersey roadway jug handles , roundabouts and how much the Grateful Dead sucked or not in 94-95 :D and what the hell was the filler tune ... :rofl:

• Forum MVP
What Burlington ??? This thread is New Jersey roadway jug handles , roundabouts and how much the Grateful Dead sucked or not in 94-95 :D and what the hell was the filler tune ... :rofl:

you need to post stuff about jersey and how much the grateful dead sucked or not in the general discussion section. this thread was for a show review of dso in burlington. thought the forum police shld get involved a little. and mike those disco moves...you got to teach me

Guest deadheadmike
you need to post stuff about jersey and how much the grateful dead sucked or not in the general discussion section. this thread was for a show review of dso in burlington. thought the forum police shld get involved a little. and mike those disco moves...you got to teach me

you got it rick , disco lessons at the next show ;) just watch me move :wacko::D

• Forum MVP

You know I love you guys, Rick, but I think that posting about how much Jersey sucks is fair game for any thread, any time.

It seems like dance classes could be held at the Ledges on the 3rd, right before Melvin goes on.

• Forum MVP
You know I love you guys, Rick, but I think that posting about how much Jersey sucks is fair game for any thread, any time.

It seems like dance classes could be held at the Ledges on the 3rd, right before Melvin goes on.

i have to agree chuck. jersey does suck but mother always told me there is a time and a place for everything

• Forum MVP
i have to agree chuck. jersey does suck but mother always told me there is a time and a place for everything

Hay Rick E ,don't start with that jersey sucks crap, ;) us jersey boys will throw you in the pond!!!!

• Forum MVP
Hay Rick E ,don't start with that jersey sucks crap, ;) us jersey boys will throw you in the pond!!!!

im not afriad of you jersey folk....and sometimes i like to swim in the pond just not any you can find in jersey...haha

Guest deadheadmike
im not afriad of you jersey folk....and sometimes i like to swim in the pond just not any you can find in jersey...haha
If Steve is talking about this pond ( Arthur Kill ) :huh: you should be afraid ... :rofl:

large_port-Elizabeth-business-survey-ceo.JPG

Archived