What Is Dso

Walther

I was thinking again about what DSO is and tried to describe it as evocative as possible. Now I would like to send it to you for discussion:

Dark Star Orchestra is an ensemble specializing in authentic interpretation of Grateful Dead works as faithful as possible to its original performance. Thus the orchestra performs in the same way that an classical interprets music of classical composers like Mozart or Bach and people in the audience applaud both the fine music of Mozart, Bach or, in the case of DSO, Grateful Dead and its athentic interpretation as well. As a matter of course there is a difference between the orchestras. DSO is a jamband and performs with plenty of room of interpretation and improvisation compared to a classical orchestra with its note for note orientation.

The orchestra

DSO is just another band beyond description. Historicly and musicly correct in so many ways from their instruments to style of play. They are just a bunch of Deadheads playing the music the way they, and many others, like it to be played. Or, is the music playing the band? I think so. Nice job Walther.

• Forum MVP

Walther's description describes the band in terms of the Grateful Dead which is fine. But I've seemed to feel DSO and the music in their own space...without having to reflect back upon how The Dead would have sounded or felt. I prefer to just love the sound, people, enviroment...all in current space....nothing wrong with reflecting upon the past but I'm liking it for the Now.

Peace and Love,

Doc

Or, is the music playing the band? I think so.

would you agree if I take up your notion and change the description of DSO as follows:

....DSO makes each musical piece sound effortless as the music the Sleeping Beauty were kissed awake to play the band. In John Kadlecik

Walther's description describes the band in terms of the Grateful Dead which is fine. But I've seemed to feel DSO and the music in their own space...without having to reflect back upon how The Dead would have sounded or felt. I prefer to just love the sound, people, enviroment...all in current space....nothing wrong with reflecting upon the past but I'm liking it for the Now.

you are right, I can listen to DSO in the Now without having to reflect back or being sentimental or nostalgic. I should mention it:

The orchestra

• Forum MVP
Good morning. Any plans to come over foe a few shows Walther?

Yeah we need some Walther stateside!!!! C'mon over!!!!!

When I tell people about Dark Star Orchestra I tend to use the following phrases a lot

- Absolutely the best trip going... Especially on a $-for-$ basis.

- Real hard-working kids who deliver a top-drawer show every single night without exception

- Makes me appreciate the Grateful Dead all over again.

Thank you very much for asking. I am moved! Of course, it is always on my mind to attend several DSO shows. To see them perform live is quite another thing compared to listen to at home, here in the German Diaspora. That

• Forum MVP
We thought it would be the best to come in the fall, but I have no idea, where to start, how to travel from venue to venue, where to stay over night.

Just in time for DSO west coast tour.

Looky, right up your alley... :icon14:

• Advisory Board
Thank you very much for asking. I am moved! Of course, it is always on my mind to attend several DSO shows. To see them perform live is quite another thing compared to listen to at home, here in the German Diaspora. That

• Forum MVP

Here is an observation of mine.

For years after Jerry's death, really thunk it was over. I thunk the magic was gone. I have never known any deadheads other than at a show (I always traveled solo.) I lost track of everybody and everything. I thunk I was the only one. Life was, in fact, a great, dark abyss for a long time. When all my bootleg tapes were stolen, that was it. Emptiness.

When I actually got music back in my life, in the form of recorded Grateful Dead bootlegs, it was like magic. Each note that hit my ears was like a memory rushing fondly back into my soul. As much as I loved the music, I think it came to be that it was the nostalgia, for lack of a better word, that sometimes touched me. When I'd hear the opening notes to a certain song, it would bring back the smiles of a day in the sunshine, at a certain venue, in the sunshine, of the experiences I had that day, of someone I'd met that left a lasting impression on me.

When I finally learned of DSO, I didn't dare go see them looking for The Grateful Dead. I went to see what there was to see. To my great surprise, what I found was magic. Once again. Dark Star has managed to stir up in my soul the beautiful feelings that were lost long ago. At times, they'd even strike a note oe several that would bring back the memory of seeing Jerry's smile on a stage in some stadium somewhere in the longago.

However, after finally opening up sand giving into what DSO has to offer, I have noticed something else happening. I am developing memories of the DSO experience now. Sometimes when I'm driving in my car, and I hear Bobby come on and start crooning a nice WRS or something, what actually comes up in my mind is the image of Rob E. on some stage, all us kidz shaking our bones on some bouncing dance floor, and some super-cool StarHeads that I had met that day.

SO, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I no longer need to survive on the memories of the past. That Magic still happens,That I can pull together all the great experiences of the past, present, and hopes for the future to help me thrive today. And, by the way, this is a great day and age to be a JamBand fan!!

Guest darbysdad

Walter,

I Am 61 Years Old And Of Course All The People I See At Shows Ask Me About My Grateful Dead Experiences.

Well There Are Only Two,Woodstock And An Obscure Show In 1972."How Can That Be They Ask.?"You Have Been Around Forever."For Reasons That Aren't Important I Didn't Become A Deadhead,But What Really Matters Is That I Did Become A Starhead And DSO Is Providing Me With Those Very Memories That Fred Speaks So Fondly Of.

I Will Never,Ever Take This Band And The Music They Make For Granted

Jerry

• Forum MVP
Walter,

I Am 61 Years Old And Of Course All The People I See At Shows Ask Me About My Grateful Dead Experiences.

Well There Are Only Two,Woodstock And An Obscure Show In 1972."How Can That Be They Ask.?"You Have Been Around Forever."For Reasons That Aren't Important I Didn't Become A Deadhead,But What Really Matters Is That I Did Become A Starhead And DSO Is Providing Me With Those Very Memories That Fred Speaks So Fondly Of.

I Will Never,Ever Take This Band And The Music They Make For Granted

Jerry

Man It Really Must Get Annoying Having To Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Friggin Word... :P

We have had some discussions on how we think about DSO and so I revised my text a little and added a chapter, which you will find below. Finally I translated it for our German friends.

Peace and love

Walther

Reflection on Dark Star Orchestra

Dark Star Orchestra is an ensemble specializing in authentic interpretation of Grateful Dead as faithful as possible to the original performance. Thus the orchestra performs in the same way as a classical orchestra interprets music of Bach or Mozart and accordingly people in the audience applaud both the fine music of Bach or Mozart or, in the case of DSO, Grateful Dead and its authentic interpretation.

As a matter of course there is a difference between the orchestras. DSO is a jamband and performs with plenty of room of interpretation and improvisation compared to a classical orchestra with its note for note orientation and fully written-out rather than improvised cadenzas.

The orchestra

I was thinking again about what DSO is and tried to describe it as evocative as possible. Now I would like to send it to you for discussion:

Dark Star Orchestra is an ensemble specializing in authentic interpretation of Grateful Dead works as faithful as possible to its original performance. Thus the orchestra performs in the same way that an classical interprets music of classical composers like Mozart or Bach and people in the audience applaud both the fine music of Mozart, Bach or, in the case of DSO, Grateful Dead and its athentic interpretation as well. As a matter of course there is a difference between the orchestras. DSO is a jamband and performs with plenty of room of interpretation and improvisation compared to a classical orchestra with its note for note orientation.

The orchestra

Archived