-
Posts
2,160 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
184
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by John A
-
Random Garcia Band related trivia, and the "other" Cornell show
John A replied to John A's topic in Random Thoughts
Not a great one, but yes... https://etreedb.org/shn/80296 -
I like that unusual 3 pack of Victim / Built To Last / We Can Run in the middle of set 1.
-
In 1975, Jerry bought back the Boogie Woogie Flu from Europe '72 Dead lore with 5 Fall appearances. The final one also featured the first Russian Lullaby. Which brings us to the "other" Garcia Cornell show, 10-27-75 at Bailey Hall, a much smaller venue than Barton and build in 1912 partly for musical performances. This is no jack of all trades athletics barn. Bailey Hall seated about 1,300 and was known for excellent acoustics. The JGB must have sounded fantastic that night. Get a load of the setlist - wow! Set 1: Let It Rock ; How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) ; They Love Each Other ; Every Word You Say ; Crazy Arms ; Russian Lullaby* ; Mystery Train Set 2: Mission In The Rain ; Rockin' Pneumonia And The Boogie Woogie Flu ; Catfish John ; Positively 4th Street ; Let's Spend The Night Together ; Teddy Bears' Picnic ; The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down ; Mean Woman Blues *bust out (Thank you, https://jgb.gratefulsets.net) Also, I noticed an interesting tidbit looking at Mystery Train on the whitegum.com lyrics site. The Elvis Presley version completely changes the thrust of the song; in the final verse the train hasn't taken away his girl but rather it's bringing her to him. But it's Elvis, so of course! π Here's the Elvis closing verse: Train, train, coming on down the line Train, train, coming on down the line Well it's bringin my baby, 'cause she's mine oh mine
-
Who sang Cassidy? Lisa solo in an ode to Donna Jean?!? If so that would be righteous.
-
That Colgate Eyes is so insanely super charged. Wow.
-
Donna was much maligned, and rightfully so, for painfully off key wailing at the worst possible moments in the Dead's epic early 70s jams. In fairness, much of that was to do with technical issues on stage with her inability to hear herself. Rumors even exist that some misogyny within the crew contributed to this. But that's here-say so perhaps best unmentioned. That said, her work within a seminal time of Jerry's solo career, his embarkment of JGB, is top flight. And moreover, duets in '77 with Bobby during the likes of Cassidy and Looks Like Rain are often fantastic. Not to mention the extra charge in the final chorus of some '72 Sing Me Back Home renditions. Make my old memories come alive indeed. RIP, Donna-Jean.
-
China > Rider & Scarlet > Fire... all in the same show
John A replied to John A's topic in Random Thoughts
I would call the Binghamton '77 set 2 Truckin' closer the "biggie" π Tour closer to boot. How many times was Bertha part of a "proper encore"? I would have said never, until I encountered one on Sirius XM during my drive to Southern CA today... -
China > Rider & Scarlet > Fire... all in the same show
John A replied to John A's topic in Random Thoughts
Love seeing people's juices flowing off my original post! Circling back to Grateful Sets (and in a Garcia Band shout out don't sleep on https://jgb.gratefulsets.net which is equally righteous), I present the following... Scarlet appeared 75 times without Fire, while Fire appeared just 12 times without Scarlet. For a more balanced equation, China appeared 26 times (although to be fair maybe more do to lack of historical data in 1968), while Rider appeared 23 times without China. -
China > Rider & Scarlet > Fire... all in the same show
John A replied to John A's topic in Random Thoughts
Bill, Yep, I caught 3 of the 9 HSF w/ S>F... and without even knowing it. I consider those Oct '91 Oakland shows the last great run I caught, and arguably the last great run period. At least of 3 shows or more in a single venue. -
As I'm randomly want to do, the odd thought came to me today (in Muir Woods no less!) about how many times China > Rider as well as Scarlet > Fire appeared in the same show. Without much further consideration, I put the over / under at 10 times. In a shout out to count2 and www.gratefulsets.net, I knew said info could be gleaned with ease... Well clearly I'm a good odds maker when it comes to this sort of minutia, because the actual number is 9 times... Ha! βΊοΈ Twice in '79, twice in '80, 3 times in '81, once in '83, and once in '85. Predictably, each instance saw China > Rider in set 1 and Scarlet > Fire in set 2. (Technically one time was a Radio City acoustic show, so one might consider that sets 2 and 3.) In 6 of these shows, China > Rider closed set 1 and Scarlet > Fire opened set 2, as one might imagine. I'm sure ya'll are relieved to gain this information. π
-
The elephant in the room appears two fold: what are the recurring monthly costs to host the forum, and where does/should that money come from?
-
Praise Tea. (to make a shameless riff on Bill K π) He would make a great admin.
-
Talk about weaving eras with dexterity!
-
That 2nd set looks brilliant. Would have you off your toes basically at all times after HSF, yet would somehow all make perfect sense. Love that kind of shit.
-
That's a great post, PoetryGirl.
-
Shit - logged onto the forums only to be floored. We bonded over Kentucky's finest (bourbon of course) and obviously The Grateful Dead. Loved to give him shit that he managed to see Jerry, but only in '95. Only saw him in the flesh a couple times, both on trips he took for DSO west coast shows. Once he brought me a mixed case of bourbon, boasting about how much cheaper I could get it if he bought at the source and hauled it out. Another time he came to the house the afternoon of a show for some fine wine, cheese, and loud GD on my big system. It was pissing down rain the whole time. Great afternoon. I'll miss your quips, rants, and insights. RIP, my friend.
-
I count 7...can't figure out which I'm missing. π€ Either way though, hard to believe that would all be gone 3 weeks later after the Europe tour ended. π₯²
-
"Shakedown Street Reprise" is a new term for me. π
-
For shits and giggles I looked up the difference between VIP and Super VIP. It's gotta hurt to pay the VIP premium only to be standing behind folks who paid a bigger VIP premium. Or use an upgraded bathroom only to see others go into the luxury trailer bathrooms. Nothing worse than the VIP loser. π
-
Love the Springsteen dedication!
-
Don't Ease closed a 2nd set in 1987? I'd have put money against that. Nice change up!
-
I'd like to hear that transition pulled off with just the right amount of notes and proper cadence. Food for thought alright!
-
Well done! Is that an integrated amplifier? Few things are more unique and product specific than those illuminated blue meters / displays on McIntosh gear. Memories of those blue lights glowing behind Jerry at the bottom of his stack are damn special.
-
Sage response! Although I think it officially wears off when the credit card cycle is over and paid. π David Lemiuex was playing some selections on SiriusXM today and they didn't disappoint. Heard a cut from Winterland '77, Philly '78, and Red Rocks '79.
-
Just preordered and I feel a little dirty doing so to be honest, between already having all the music contained therein and the almost $700 after tax and shipping. That said, many shows will certainly be sonic upgrades to what already circulates. And hell, collectors gonna collect. π
