A Bear's Picnic

4evergr8ful

We went last year, and we are going again this year. Largely, I think the place is family friendly, we didn't see any nitrous tanks or any "too-shady" individuals. The camping is a bit iffy. "Friendship Park" or whatever they call it, is a county fairground that is rented out for the event, so it kind of ends up as a "tent city" kind of scenario. There is shade along the edges of the property, but the staff takes you to where you will be camping, and that is where you camp. It's not optional. Also, no campfires are allowed. There are plenty of bathrooms with running water and flush toilets. Last year they could have been cleaned (a lot) more often, but the Bear's Picnic website specifies that they are cleaned hourly, so hopefully that will be an improvement. There are no showers, but there is supposed to be a nearby creek which we did not investigate. The covered stage you saw is the second stage. It's actually just an aluminum pole building, and it gets crazy hot in there. The main stage sits on the edge of a large field with tons of dancing room.

Let me be clear, this place is no NLQP, but it was a good time last year with a far inferior collection of performers (Though NRPS rocked the place!), and I expect this year will be better.

Archived