The Empty-Handed Painter From Your Streets

New York Steve

Guest Lisacat

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvkGNkIpGUo&feature=related

pretty cool on borrowed equipment.

always been one of my favorites....

Have had many poignant moments with the song and always seem to find new meaning in the lyrics every time I hear it.

strike another match.....

• Forum MVP

How crazy is it to see Billy/Mickey not raised behind theband for an electric set?

I may have said this before on here...it's one of my favorite things to quote but it was Phil who said in an interview that he almost had an orgasm when he and Garcia were playing the intro to Lovelight.

That just seems to tell the story regarding that night.

Mr. Bob Minkin tells it pretty good too though. Here's his take on that two pack, and the link to his site.

http://www.minkindesign.com/photo/gd/gd_mainpage.html

by Robert A. Minkin ©1981-2006

email: bob@minkindesign.com

The highlight of my Grateful Dead concert career took place on two nights in Amsterdam, Holland, October 1981.

Dateline: Russelsheim, Germany, October 13th - The Dead just finished their encore and their manager Rock Scully announced from the stage that the next two scheduled shows in Nancy and Frejus, France were cancelled. The tour was to resume in Paris on the 17th. We knew better. “We” being the handful of Americans who came over for the tour. Rumor had it that the Dead, instead of taking a few nights off were to play in Amsterdam’s famed Melkweg (or Milkyway) club.

A few days earlier, on the night off between the Bremen and Munich shows, Jerry and Bob dropped by the Melkweg and played a surprise acoustic set. Unfortunately for me, I was on a night train, Munich bound.

Mannheim, Germany, October 14th - After a cold night of trying to sleep in a VW camper owned by a nice fellow named Marcus, I split from my little group to train it to Amsterdam. The rest of my newfound friends were going to hitch there.

Amsterdam, Holland, October 15th - This must be heaven. Could it really be that the Dead were going to play in this tiny room?

Two hours before showtime and a crowd was gathering. Since there were no advance ticket sales and save for the scattered “OOPS” posters in Amsterdam’s Leidplein district, no advance notice either. It was first come, first serve at the door. Ticket price worked out to about seven bucks. After they finally let us in I explored the myriad of rooms before planting myself stage side for picture taking.

Cindy Perez, an acoustic blues guitarist opened the show at about 10:00. Her set was well received. At 11, the Dead came onstage after squeezing through the audience to get there. Since most of the band’s equipment was on its way to Paris, they played borrowed instruments. Jerry sported a Strat styled Yamaha 1000 sunburst guitar and Weir, a white Fender Telecaster. Billy and Mickey’s massive drum ensemble was missing, leaving them with a simpler drum arrangement.

Phil started clowning over the PA saying “Oooooops, Oooooops” and that this was to be an informal evening.

That night’s show featured some old favorites plus a few surprises. Brent’s Far from Me made a reappearance after a year hiatus. Spoonful was performed by the Dead for the first time, sandwiched by He’s Gone and Drums. Phil then took an extended solo that wound into a scorching, hard driving Other One. The set ended rock n’ roll style with Around and Around> Johnny B. Goode. The show ended (did it really) with Jerry singing, It’s All Over Now Baby Blue. The night ended for me racing through Amsterdam on foot barely making it back to my hostel before they locked the doors for the night.

Amsterdam, Holland, October 16th - Spent the day exploring the city. The Rijksmuseum, Rembrandt’s Nightwatch, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank’s house, the canals and cafes.

That evening, back on line for the second show. Word must have got out that the Dead were in town because the club was packed that night, about 400 people inside. Cindy Perez warmed the crowd up once again. When the Dead came onstage, Bob was welcomed with a bouquet of daisies. We also sang him Happy Birthday to which Jerry replied, “touching, touching.”

The band opened with (appropriately) On the Road Again, acoustic, Jerry and Bob both standing as the band played. The audience and band were getting off on the intimate atmosphere with between song banter and beaming smiles as they played. They knew what they were doing to us, and we gave it back to them. This was raw Grateful Dead, stripped to the essentials.

There were many amusing moments such as a girl who jumped onstage and writhed on Phil. He sent her off with a reverberating note over to Jerry who gave her a polite “hello” before she was zapped away.

The second set was very electric.

It was Bob’s night as they opened with Playing in the Band. Never heard before Dead renditions of Hully Gully and Gloria were performed. During the jam after Gloria, an old familiar melody was heard and Bob haltingly sang, “without a warning, you broke my heart”. They played a kickass Lovelight, almost a decade after it was last performed with Pigpen.

There was no encore that night, none was needed. They were literally dripping wet.

The houselights came on at 2:00 am and Rock Scully stepped onstage and told us, “ This was a very special treat for us (the band) and a gift to us from you guys”.

The Music Never Stopped - It was no point sleeping that morning, as we had to catch an early train to Paris for that night’s show at the Hippodrome. But that’s another story.

• Forum MVP

always been one of my favorites....

Have had many poignant moments with the song and always seem to find new meaning in the lyrics every time I hear it.

strike another match.....

Completely agree. Every time I hear it, there's something new that resonates...chalk full of significance.

Althea is another one but not nearly as soul grabbing as baby blue...

as always, thanks stone....

Archived