Sound Quality Question On Nugs Releases

rowe

Hey all,

I have been noticing a clicking sound in many of the current nugs releases. It sounds exactly like two drum sticks striking each other. Only it is clearly not part of the mix. It is most prevalent as the intensity and volume of the mix increases. To me, it sounds like the levels coming into the board are too high. Has anyone noticed this? Rob, do you, or anyone else, have any thoughts on this. I began to wonder if it was an mp3 thing, but I have dozens of older recordings in mp3 and its not there. It is really only the last two batches...and not on all. For instance, Albany sounds fine, yet on Dewey Beach, its very noticeable. Just wonderin'.....

Rowe

Guest Rob Eaton

Well you must understand these are mixes made from the monitor position and the monitor mixer's job is to service the show and not the tapes. I have spent years working on the mix for the archive (as I call it) and have to admit recently I have not spent the time I used to making sure everything is exactly perfect. After soundcheck and the first set I would go to the computer and listen to the mix and adjust what was needed. Nobody else in the band does this, it has fallen in my lap since I am the most qualified. That being said I would never release anything that I feel is not up to a certain standard. Yes the drums might be up in the mix but quite frankly I like that. Jeff at times on the Nov tour was to low but overall it seemed to me to be ok. Look, I do this on my spare time. I get paid less then $5 an hour to do it. I try to find shows that are mixed well and are performed well. Am I perfect in this? No. Do I try my best yes ( don't blame Nugs.net for anything). If you want to blame anyone for the shows not sounding like blame me. It starts and ends with me!

Rob Eaton

[Rob,

I appreciate the explanation. Know that I was in no way trying to "blame" or criticize your efforts. I was more wondering if it was something on my end, with mp3s or just my aging ears. I have tried on this board to be supportive of your efforts to get the music out to us. The product that you produce is infinity better than what other bands are producing in this format. I have always marveled at how much you guys are able to pull off with limited time and resources. We are all very lucky that you do what you do and I will continue to support the nugs project .

Rowe

Guest crazy digits

No worries I just didn't want Nug's to be blamed..

Speaking of tasty ones, how bout that reading show? maybe if you get the chance, spin that one for sale...it was a goodun..

Well you must understand these are mixes made from the monitor position and the monitor mixer's job is to service the show and not the tapes. I have spent years working on the mix for the archive (as I call it) and have to admit recently I have not spent the time I used to making sure everything is exactly perfect. After soundcheck and the first set I would go to the computer and listen to the mix and adjust what was needed. Nobody else in the band does this, it has fallen in my lap since I am the most qualified. That being said I would never release anything that I feel is not up to a certain standard. Yes the drums might be up in the mix but quite frankly I like that. Jeff at times on the Nov tour was to low but overall it seemed to me to be ok. Look, I do this on my spare time. I get paid less then $5 an hour to do it. I try to find shows that are mixed well and are performed well. Am I perfect in this? No. Do I try my best yes ( don't blame Nugs.net for anything). If you want to blame anyone for the shows not sounding like blame me. It starts and ends with me!

Rob Eaton

Well you must understand these are mixes made from the monitor position and the monitor mixer's job is to service the show and not the tapes.

Having been the Zen Tricksters Archivist for nearly 10 years I understand completely the frustration of having to work with DAT's that were mixed for the House not the taper. My arrangement with Jeff was I would only archive what Jeff called "The keepers." Jeff also agreed that if the show was a keeper and the mix on the DAT was "flawed" it was my call as whether to transfer it. Needless to say many a Great Performance didn't make the cut because of an overbearing kick drum or other instrument/vocal anomaly. Nothing worse than having to search for an awesome guitar solo or vocal performance that is too low or missing in the mix. You must work with what you're given. (when Sound Engineer to the Stars Cotter Michaels ;) was at the board he was aware of this dichotomy and would find an acceptable middle ground, I never questioned his high professional standards) It's a shame to lose a keeper.

Nobody else in the band does this, it has fallen in my lap since I am the most qualified.

Perhaps you could outsource the task to someone with more time to devote?

I get paid less then $5 an hour to do it.

This shouldn't figure into the equation...it's a labor of Love...for me when it became a chore I resigned.

These are just my experiences and observations and in no way are to be considered an affront on your efforts...it's a tough, time consuming job.

Archived