Great American Music Hall - 4/30/08

John A

• Forum MVP

As has already been reported, this was a recreation of Chicago, 11/17/78.

11-17-78 Uptown Theatre, Chicago, Il.

1: Shakedown, Mama Tried> Mexicali, Peggy-O, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed, Passenger, FOTD, Miracle

2: Bertha> Good Lovin, Ship Of Fools, Estimated> Eyes> Drumz> Terrapin> Around

E: Casey Jones

Filler: Midnight Hour>Brokedown Palace

We got in around 7:45 (8 pm start time) to a somewhat empty main floor, so we were able to plop down right under the chandelier - pretty much where you'd want to set up a pair of mics, were one the front of board taping sort. As the Great American is so tiny, the rail was only perhaps 3 or 4 blankets up. You gotta love a show where you can stroll in 15 minutes before show time and get plenty of room in the "sweet spot". Pretty soon, however, the floor got crowded, almost overly so. They weren't shy in selling tickets, and the show was indeed sold out. In fact, the fire Marshall wouldn't have been pleased, as during the music there were no real aisles to get to the bar or bathrooms in the back. As I mentioned, good thing the place is so small!

The show started about 20 minutes late with Shakedown, putting the era squarely in late '78 or early '79. My recollection was that the first Shakedown was 8/30/78 in Red Rocks, and since Lisa was on stage that narrowed the evening to 8/30/78 through Donna's last show (Feb. '79?). It couldn

Im not one to review shows but I feel inclined to review the review above. I decided to cruise around the venue for a change as I am usually locked into the left side, and discovered the sound is perfect everywhere in that room. I felt it was not too loud. I have left DSO shows before with ringing in my ears from being too close to the side speakers but I thought the volume was Perfect. The estimated>Eyes will be one of the most memorable moments of the last nine shows for me. This show kicked butt.......big thanks and lots of LOVE....ty

• Forum MVP
The estimated>Eyes will be one of the most memorable moments of the last nine shows for me.

tbones,

Thinking some more, I was a little harsh in not giving the Estimated>Eyes more praise. Particularly Eyes. Yep, this segment rocked pretty hard. Excellent work by John in the Eyes jams.

• Forum MVP

waiting for cab to airport. can't help but chime in.

this show had some amazing solo's from john--from start to finish. During Mama Tried, Peggy-o, Cassidy, Passenger, Jed, FOTD, Miracle, Ship, Estimated, Eyes---even Midnight Hour and Brokedown, and they would build and climax and the crowd would erupt in complete euphoria in response (everyone knows what i'm saying here). With each passing solo, the eruption got louder and louder, by the time his rather large solo on Eyes came, the response was utter ecstasy--so cool watching Lisa just take in that energy after the crowd explosions from those solos, as if it was water for her soul. Then, after all those solos and all those eruptions, the whole thing came down during the Round and Round. John's guitar SCRUBBING and Lisa and Robs vocals. I saw the Music Hall lift off the ground about 3 inches--I kid you not.

Here's the cab...

• Forum MVP

Just checked into the McMenamins White Eagle Saloon and Rock & Roll Hotel. ZZ top among many other bands has stayed and played here--$45.00/night! I walk in the place to check in ahead of 4 friends who haven't gotten into town and there is a really good acoustic band playing Big River! One of the rooms is named Birdsong. There are also supposedly ghosts here....

I didn't read the entire review above but I will say that I thought the sound was phenomenal the whole weekend. I was with two friends who are in their late 40s and all we were talking about is how great the sound was (we were 10 rows deep eaton but I was also one row off the rail in front of John for the last one). We've seen about a thousand shows between us (with them taking up the majority of them), so we have a past to judge from, but we thought Healy and Cam did an amazing job with the sound of that place.

waiting for cab to airport. can't help but chime in.

this show had some amazing solo's from john--from start to finish. During Mama Tried, Peggy-o, Cassidy, Passenger, Jed, FOTD, Miracle, Ship, Estimated, Eyes---even Midnight Hour and Brokedown, and they would build and climax and the crowd would erupt in complete euphoria in response (everyone knows what i'm saying here). With each passing solo, the eruption got louder and louder, by the time his rather large solo on Eyes came, the response was utter ecstasy--so cool watching Lisa just take in that energy after the crowd explosions from those solos, as if it was water for her soul. Then, after all those solos and all those eruptions, the whole thing came down during the Round and Round. John's guitar SCRUBBING and Lisa and Robs vocals. I saw the Music Hall lift off the ground about 3 inches--I kid you not.

Here's the cab...

this is the best!

Archived