Jump to content

Hardpan

Master Poster
  • Posts

    719
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    75

Everything posted by Hardpan

  1. So sorry to hear this, Rude was one of a kind. We didn’t cross paths except a few times at Jubilee, and last time I saw him there we spent a good chunk of time hanging out, listening and shooting the shit. When I wanted a break from dancing I would wander over to the sweet spot and find him there awash in the sound. His easygoing nature and lack of pretense made it easy to be friends with him. Was looking forward to the next time, but was glad to get to know him a little better the last time.
  2. 1/12/79 Spectrum, looks like a great setlist. Two 79s to start off the tour, one Brent and one Keith and Donna, interesting!
  3. Missed it but yesterday was SPAC 6/18/83, one of the greatest second sets. Feels like the band is at the helm of ship navigating wild seas. I’m sure the storm going on during the show adds to that feeling, which by all accounts was wild in its own right. One of my all time favorites, great ambience from the audience recordings.
  4. I want to hear a Help>Slip>Gimme the Loot 😄
  5. Dream show right there, this is one of my birthday shows so I’ve listened to it a bunch 🔥🔥🔥
  6. Love the non edited setlist as you grabbed it asap from the show. The typos are fun. Looks like a smoker 🔥
  7. Love the Rude/TB dynamic here on the forums when it comes to your current take on seeing shows. You both present the same case every time😂 My busiest year was 29 in 2019 and I doubt I’ll ever see that again. The kids are getting bigger and I want to give them more time, and I’ll admit to feeling burnt out if I’m seeing more than a few on the tour. I’ve seen a bunch of shows and I’m glad to make it fit in as I can, but I’m gonna do my best to try to make it to these 😄
  8. This was one of those shows that reminds me why I like to keep coming back. Amazing energy the entire show, especially Scarlet Fire, where everything expanded and you could feel the whole room lifting. Killer jam out of drums, ferocious entry into Johnny B Goode where I thought it was just the two step part of Aroundx2. Everyone I talked to post show and the following day mentioned the Scarlet Fire and how good it was 🔥🔥
  9. The Rochester minor league baseball stadium show is fun, they usually play there every year. Not a huge venue but still a fun time and great place to see DSO.
  10. Hey Jen, depending on heavily sold the venue is (which will probably be the case on NYE) sometimes they will wristband for the floor, so you could only get down there if you have GA. If it’s packed, though, the floor will be tough to find a space to dance. You’ll still be able to get down to the front lobby section, which is ok for space albeit a little quiet. Some dancers will also take up residence in the upper hallway, also pretty good for space but not very loud. Hope this helps, see you there!
  11. This show was indeed killer, I left the venue completely soaked from dancing my brains out the entire night in the upper balcony floor. Looking forward to the Cap run for New Years 🌋⚡️🌪️
  12. Well, that’s a great review! Glad you got out to see a show and great to see a good ole happy, detailed, glowing review!
  13. I’ve reversed my opinion on Keep on Growing, enjoy it now, but I like the way you put it😄
  14. I like seafood salad, the imitation crabmeat kind. Someone must have eaten some at the Ithaca show the other day, and I kept smelling this sweaty, mayonnaisey odor near me, it was gross. Now I’m out driving around at work, thinking about getting some at a place that makes it, and I am getting grossed out, hopefully this isn’t permanent 😅
  15. I had a dream last night that Dark Star Orchestra, the entire band and crew, took the stage riding a gigantic costumed circus elephant, it was quite the spectacle 🧐
  16. Just looked up the Picasso guitar, what a bizarre looking device!
  17. That was a killer jam, thanks for the recommendation, gotta check out the rest of that show now.
  18. Love this show, Space > The Other One is very intense ⚡️⚡️
  19. I know this is TIGDH, not TIDSOH, but this is one of my favorite recordings I made, two years ago today, at Frontier Field in Rochester, 8/3/18. Had the perfect spot and tremendous sound, made friends with sml that day, along with a few other friends who I hold dear to this day, it was really a splendid show and time. Killer Blow Away 🌬 https://archive.org/details/dso2018-08-03.nak300cp4.flac16
  20. Listening to this source of 7/29/82, sounds great so far. Looking forward to hearing Phil lay out the treachery ☠️ My speakers are safe right now listening to this out in the work truck. Also, thanks for the transfer and letting us hear it😇
  21. Me and Jake heard Estimated Prophet in the grocery store one day when we were shopping for groceries to go see a few shows, was a surprise!!
  22. Went to see Melvin Seals and JGB this past Saturday at the Cap, great time! My first time seeing the full band, the only other time I've seen Melvin was with DSO as his band a couple years ago at the Jubilee. High energy dance tempo all night long, with a few breaks in the onslaught with some slower songs. Great time to break up the winter between fall Northeast and sorting Northeast DSO, usually go into concert hibernation during winter. I would see them again if they are within an hour or so. Local CT Grateful Dead band Stella Blues Band opened up, which was a lovely surprise in how tight they are and well they played.
  23. I think the Grateful Dead Movie really does a great job of conveying many of the facets of the Grateful Dead concert experience, which was Jerry's goal with it. From the deadheads of all shapes and sizes, to the exasperated cop dealing with the "getting my space together" guy, to the shamelessly ogling food vendor, to the crew setting up the equipment, to the guys sweeping up at the end. The last time I watched the movie, however, was the first time I noticed that Jerry could have been also trying to convey what it is like to be a member of the band. There is a point where the footage cuts to Phil, soaked with sweat, locked deep in the throes of a hot Playin' jam, with the band working their way toward the reprise. The angle is sort of from behind the neck of his bass, which first gave me this idea that, maybe this is kind of how it would feel on stage. As they get to the repeating figure, which precedes the reprise, the footage cuts to Jerry, playing that repeating figure over and over, bringing the volume lower and lower, with him mouthing "shhh" to the band, masterfully bringing the dynamics down to a pin drop, and upon reaching the "turn around", bringing them back up, to full volume at the point of release, when the band slams back into the reprise. I think Jerry was trying to let us know how it feels from the stage. Just something I noticed on my last viewing of the Movie, check it out next time you watch it 😃
  24. Hey, I know who asked that question! Rob's answer, eloquent and thought provoking. It is interesting to me, from what I gather from his answer, that to him, playing music with the band feels similar to how it feels to me on the dance floor, when it's really good and you are surrounded by other enthusiastic dancers, friends or strangers. The element of grace feels tangible and accessible ❤️
  25. I'll record it if you feel like making an attempt.
×
×
  • Create New...