Jack-A-Roe

Greatest Story Ever Told

Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues

Touch Of Grey

II.

Feel Like A Stranger

Foolish Heart

Blow Away

Weather Report Suite (eaton on acoustic)

Let it Grow

Drums

Space

St. Stephen

William Tell Bridge

Eleven

So Many Roads

Satisfaction

E: Second That Emotion

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Original:

I.

Hey Pocky Way

Hell In A Bucket

Row Jimmy

Minglewood Blues

Two Souls

Jack-A-Roe

Greatest Story Ever Told

Touch Of Grey

II.

Feel Like A Stranger

Foolish Heart

Blow Away

Let it Grow

Drums

Space

St. Stephen

William Tell Bridge

Eleven

So Many Roads

Satisfaction

Amazing show, jams in Stranger, Blow Away, Let It Grow, Eleven, and Satisfaction were OUT OF THIS WORLD! Thank you DSO

Guest crazy digits

ridiculously sick energy tonight. LOVED this show. Stranger was unbelievable! Weather Report> Let it Grow was as well....I'm am going to miss JK.....

the row j, minglewood, two souls was a really good run

jk sounded great at the end of row jimmy and i had never heard lisa's breakdown in greatest so that was very cool

the stranger and let it grow were highlights and satisfaction gets better and better everytime i hear it, it was strong last night and was perfect for the nyc crowd

and blow away gets better and better everytime i hear it

Guest deadheadmike
the row j, minglewood, two souls was a really good run

jk sounded great at the end of row jimmy and i had never heard lisa's breakdown in greatest so that was very cool

the stranger and let it grow were highlights and satisfaction gets better and better everytime i hear it, it was strong last night and was perfect for the nyc crowd

and blow away gets better and better everytime i hear it

Good show last night and good to meet you ThinMan !!!

• Forum MVP
Original:

I.

Hey Pocky Way

Hell In A Bucket

Row Jimmy

Minglewood Blues

Two Souls

Jack-A-Roe

Greatest Story Ever Told

Touch Of Grey

II.

Feel Like A Stranger

Foolish Heart

Blow Away

Let it Grow

Drums

Space

St. Stephen

William Tell Bridge

Eleven

So Many Roads

Satisfaction

Love that entire first set, and So Many Roads, Satisfaction 2nd set closer! Absolutely Grate original setlist!

NICE DSO! Thanks so much for what you do!!!

:dsorocks:

I had a good show. First set I was hanging on the rail at the second level and somehow it all seemed slow (Loved Stranger and Tom Thumb Blues), so I moved down front for the second half and boy what a change. I loved everything but particularly St Stephen into the Eleven was spectacular, drums were really different Egyptian like. We had a crew and we were all dancing very hard having so much incredible fun and energy between us. So Many Roads made me cry big tears. I too will miss John, I know we will be fine and DSO will continue to give me the music I love but it will be a sad goodbye to John and that song brought it home last night.

I will see everyone in a few hours to do it all again, quess I will start down front and avoid the lack luster. Looking forward to a full week of this and actually considering Jam Cruise, what has gotten into me?

The Friday Nokia show was abysmal, worst I've ever seen the band play. Show up in NYC and that's the best selection of songs you can come up with? Absurd. "Original" setlists probably aren't a good idea for NYC...picking legendary shows/setlists probably is (like last years duo, now that was smart/good).

If you are going to play NYC you better be prepared to bring it and that certainly wasn't the case last night. Either bring it or stick to the backroads playing spots like Driggs, ID where you're the only game in town.

Always supported DSO against the whackos who want to take the "fake jerry" bullsh*t line and all that but after a show like last night you basically cut my legs out from under me in that argument.

Highly disappointed in the band.

• Forum MVP
The Friday Nokia show was abysmal, worst I've ever seen the band play. Show up in NYC and that's the best selection of songs you can come up with? Absurd. "Original" setlists probably aren't a good idea for NYC...picking legendary shows/setlists probably is (like last years duo, now that was smart/good).

If you are going to play NYC you better be prepared to bring it and that certainly wasn't the case last night. Either bring it or stick to the backroads playing spots like Driggs, ID where you're the only game in town.

Always supported DSO against the whackos who want to take the "fake jerry" bullsh*t line and all that but after a show like last night you basically cut my legs out from under me in that argument.

You must have never seen the GD. Or at least never seen them much. Can't imagine you would have seen them again after what you thought was a highly disappointing show--and there were many of them.

This show wasn't for you and maybe your friends but can you imagine that there were other people out there who may have liked it? As in, there were different perspectives of the show you went to? I remember seeing a GD NYE run in '88 and thinking the first night was EASILY the best night with the middle night being easily the weakest, and running into someone who got off on the middle night the hardest. We learned early on that this was a pretty subjective thing--this music thing---this art thing. I don't give a crap about someone bashing a show but the thing I don't get is that there are people out there that misunderstand this whole GD thing so badly--this whole MUSIC thing so badly. That there are people out there so clueless as to believe that this band is comprised of robots and that when they don't give a great show, that somehow, the world is not just and that they should--what?--be ashamed of themselves for coming into their town and not getting them off?

No one who saw the GD or any band for that matter any number of times could be so foolish to think this. You hated the show---does that mean you're going to hate tonight's show if you go to that? Obviously not--it just means you didn't get off on last night's show. So be it---that happens, but you sound pretty stupid to me when you talk about it and even more absurd when you bring in the NYC thing and how the band has to play your kind of show when they come into NYC.

Give me a break.

You must have never seen the GD. Or at least never seen them much. Can't imagine you would have seen them again after what you thought was a highly disappointing show--and there were many of them.

This show wasn't for you and maybe your friends but can you imagine that there were other people out there who may have liked it? As in, there were different perspectives of the show you went to? I remember seeing a GD NYE run in '88 and thinking the first night was EASILY the best night with the middle night being easily the weakest, and running into someone who got off on the middle night the hardest. We learned early on that this was a pretty subjective thing--this music thing---this art thing. I don't give a crap about someone bashing a show but the thing I don't get is that there are people out there that misunderstand this whole GD thing so badly--this whole MUSIC thing so badly. That there are people out there so clueless as to believe that this band is comprised of robots and that when they don't give a great show, that somehow, the world is not just and that they should--what?--be ashamed of themselves for coming into their town and not getting them off?

No one who saw the GD or any band for that matter any number of times could be so foolish to think this. You hated the show---does that mean you're going to hate tonight's show if you go to that? Obviously not--it just means you didn't get off on last night's show. So be it---that happens, but you sound pretty stupid to me when you talk about it and even more absurd when you bring in the NYC thing and how the band has to play your kind of show when they come into NYC.

Give me a break.

I've seen plenty of DSO shows and probably 10 Dead shows for each DSO show.

Sure, the Dead had off nights, no doubt. But this ain't the Grateful Dead bro. Attempt to rationalize it anyway you want but that was a crap setlist and you know it...dumb thing to do in NYC. And if you don't think performers in any variety of artistic/athletic fields KNOW they are expected to step it up when in NYC, then you are the one that sounds stupid, and absurd. (Phil addressed the exact topic at the MSG show in April)

Look, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that's for sure. (at least I think so, this is America, right?)

Just a couple comments heard on the way out -- "that sucked" -- "they phoned it in tonight"...

...so, whether you and the sheeple like it, or not, a lot of people thought that was a crummy show last night because it was.

Sure, the Dead had off nights, no doubt. But this ain't the Grateful Dead bro. Rationalize it anyway you want but that was a crap setlist and you know it...dumb thing to do in NYC. And if you don't think performers in any variety of artistic/athletic fields KNOW they are expected to step it up when in NYC, then you are the one that sounds stupid, and absurd. (Phil addressed the exact topic at the MSG show in April)

Look, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that's for sure. (at least I think so, this is America, right?)

Just a couple comments heard on the way out -- "that sucked" -- "they phoned it in tonight"...

...so, whether you and the sheeple like it, or not, a lot of people thought that was a crummy show last night because it was.

let's meet up to discuss....

• Forum MVP

Sure, the Dead had off nights, no doubt. But this ain't the Grateful Dead bro. Rationalize it anyway you want but that was a crap setlist and you know it...dumb thing to do in NYC. And if you don't think performers in any variety of artistic/athletic fields KNOW they are expected to step it up when in NYC, then you are the one that sounds stupid, and absurd. (Phil addressed the exact topic at the MSG show in April)

One who speaks for the masses,

Please enlighten us all on what they should have played?"??

• Advisory Board

As a fellow New Yorker, I'm highly disappointed with your NYC superiority bull. As DStone more or less said, your post came off making you sound like a fool. And the bit about the setlist being weak is ridiculous. You just sound like an ass. Not that you're not entitled to your opinion, you are. Not that you shouldn't express it here, you should. It's just the way you said it that makes your point non credible. You simply don't sound like someone who has even the faintest clue or appreciation for the music of the Grateful Dead. You're just not credible. Sorry.

Dr. B

• Devoted

Dear Bombay,

Sometimes it's not what you say, but the way that you say it that counts! Don't they teach bedside manner in Medical School anymore? I daresay you need a refresher course. And you're not going to make many friends by acting as if NYC is any more important than Driggs, Idaho. That's just not very polite.

On a more positive note, this Forum is a very accepting place. Someone here named Queen Steve has already volunteered to meet you. I'm sure he wants to help re-educate you. Please consider his kind offer, until then you are merely a medical student, with quite a lot to learn!

Abby

One who speaks for the masses,

Please enlighten us all on what they should have played?"??

The back to back Red Rocks shows last year were terrific, at least I thought so. You probably thought they sucked.

Barry, given that you seem to be the keeper of credibility, what was your opinion of the show? While you are at it I'd be interested to hear what your 3 favorite NYC restaurants are.

Abby, it is New York, after all...

• Forum MVP
The back to back Red Rocks shows last year were terrific, at least I thought so. You probably thought they sucked.

Barry, given that you seem to be the keeper of credibility, what was your opinion of the show?

I was at both shows last year and I thought they were good, but GD music is subjective. I find actual shows, especially 70's shows, rather monotonous and predictable. I love orginal shows because to me, they mimic more what the dead were about.

I have no problem with you not liking the choice of songs, I do have a problem with the fact that you feel like you were owed or entightled to hear songs that you liked because it's new york or because you paid $ 30 and they owe you. Yawn!

Rob Eaton, who picks shows, takes great pride in mixing it up each city/ venue that they play. If you look back at the last four years of Nokia shows, it is usually an original and an actual show to give the fans, like you, more variety in song selection. (Tonight they are playing 88 show.)

All I know is I am NEVER dissapointed at a DSO show and left many a dead show, scratching my head....

• Forum MVP
And if you don't think performers in any variety of artistic/athletic fields KNOW they are expected to step it up when in NYC, then you are the one that sounds stupid, and absurd. (Phil addressed the exact topic at the MSG show in April)

Well, I guess that means that any band, be it the GD or whoever, NEVER had a show that you would have thought of as 'highly disappointing' when they came to NYC. That's strange because I've seen a hell of a lot of shows in NYC, be it the GD or JGB or any other artist for that matter, and for some reason, just the fact that they were in NYC did NOT automatically mean that I (extra capital letter--my keyboard doesn't have one) was going to walk away from the show blown away.

It's not like I don't understand the point you are TRYING to make regarding NYC and the city's energy or modern day Rome analogy, because MSG was one of my favorite venues and New York City is a big deal, it's just that as clueless as you sounded in your first post, you sound even more lost in your second.

I would say something in order to help you understand like how it can't be turned on or off depending on the city you are playing in but for many people it was turned on last night and that's a point that I don't believe you will get anytime soon, so what's the point in my even typing these letters right now?

And that's the last bit of calling you out you're going to get from me.

That's a promise.

Well, I guess that means that any band, be it the GD or whoever, NEVER had a show that you would have thought of as 'highly disappointing' when they came to NYC. That's strange because I've seen a hell of a lot of shows in NYC, be it the GD or JGB or any other artist for that matter, and for some reason, just the fact that they were in NYC did NOT automatically mean that I (extra capital letter--my keyboard doesn't have one) was going to walk away from the show blown away.

It's not like I don't understand the point you are TRYING to make regarding NYC and the city's energy or modern day Rome analogy, because MSG was one of my favorite venues and New York City is a big deal, it's just that as clueless as you sounded in your first post, you sound even more lost in your second.

I would say something in order to help you understand like how it can't be turned on or off depending on the city you are playing in but for many people it was turned on last night and that's a point that I don't believe you will get anytime soon, so what's the point in my even typing these letters right now?

That's a promise.

Dr.Bombay

I was at Penns Peak and thought the show kinda started slow,died when Jeff hit the stage, BUT I was ripped into as were, you for coming to this forum and talking about it.This group of people live in a world where ALL colors are bright and ALL skies are sunny.Reallity is not accepted here.I support you in voiceing your OPINION!!!!

Stir it up!!!!!

That's a promise.

Funny, you have lots of opinions on everything but the show last night --- what did you think of it? What types of adjectives would YOU use to describe the set list? Or are all set lists created equal, in your opinion?

gr8tfulauditors, LOL, the response is completely predictable for a forum of this nature. Thing is I think they missed the part about how I was always the one defending DSO against the "fake" naysayers...

Barry, given that you seem to be the keeper of credibility, what was your opinion of the show?

ah dr. bombay, i can see you were a fan of the warlocks...

thank you for distracting me from the news about the furthur ticket prices. could you please mosey on over to general discussions and rip furthur a new one? i swore i wouldn't utter another bad word about the marin boys, but i think i see a proxy loophole here... and nobody does it better than you nyc boys! makes me feel sad for the rest... nobody does it half as good as you, baby baby baby, baby baby you're the best.

• Forum MVP
Funny, you have lots of opinions on everything but the show last night --- what did you think of it? What types of adjectives would YOU use to describe the set list? Or are all set lists created equal, in your opinion?

I don't have an opinion of last night's show because I wasn't there. I would have to be kind of silly to have an opinion of last night's show in my opinion.

As pertains to the list--I don't judge DSO shows on paper. I don't do this because it would be really stupid to do so. It would be really stupid to do so because they could take the stinkiest, ugliest, meat and potatoes list to ever see the light of day and blow up every song like the end of the world is upon us--every single song. And someone who was there would walk out of the theatre trying to make sure they still had all their teeth--while someone reading the list at home would be saying to themselves "what an ugly setlist." You could also see them on an off night (human beings have those from time to time) where they play 5/26/72 and it pales in comparison.

And I don't think I've broken my promise because I'm not calling you out on this post--I'm just doing you the favor of answering your question as best I can.

Archived