Grateful Dead Exhibit

Guest L~Cat

Guest Lisacat

Just got home a bit ago from a very wet and cold trip to NY to see the Grateful Dead exhibit at the NY Historical Society. Besides getting absolutely soaked from sideways rain, it was definitely worth the trip. The exhibit had a variety of artifacts and memorabilia- from tickets/laminates, posters, albums, guestlists, setlists, riders, to Jerry's Rosebud and Pig's harmonica, to the outfits worn by the boys in the Touch of Grey video, to stage notes, tour books, fan mail and fan art, etc etc. The exhibit seemed small in size, however the artifacts were all small, so there was not much room needed for big displays. There was quite a bit of things to look at, also including several letters and other artifacts from the Europe 72 tour. I would say it probably took about an hour or so to go through.

Also at the museum is an extremely fascinating exhibit on Abe Lincoln. I wish I would have spent more time at that one, as there were some really interesting pieces such as letters, old newspaper prints, pictures, a draft lottery wheel thing they used to pick out names for the draft, civil war memorabilia, clothing (the jacket from the first soldier shot and killed in the Civil War), etc. The museum seemed to do a very good job at portraying how the nation was really feeling at the time of Lincoln's presidency and the civil war- a nation in total distress. It was fascinating to me to see the comics of Lincoln pictured with a crown, being accused of being a despot, etc. This was not a pretty time in our nation. What hit me so strongly after looking at all the Dead memorabilia was how in just 100 years, we went from the Civil War to a country in basically a cultural revolution- beatniks, hippies, women's rights, sex, drugs, rock n roll. Yes, of course we were also a nation at war in Vietnam, but seriousness that was woven through the media in the 1860's was very much diminished and , there was also much positivity about the future. I couldn't help myself but think Where Are We Now??? Almost 50 years after the 1960's cultural shift, 150 years after the civil war....have we truly learned from these very poignant moments in history?

With all that said- if you can, definitely go and check it out! Like I said, you can probably get through it in about an hour- then save some time for the other exhibits in the museum.

Just got home a bit ago from a very wet and cold trip to NY to see the Grateful Dead exhibit at the NY Historical Society. Besides getting absolutely soaked from sideways rain, it was definitely worth the trip. The exhibit had a variety of artifacts and memorabilia- from tickets/laminates, posters, albums, guestlists, setlists, riders, to Jerry's Rosebud and Pig's harmonica, to the outfits worn by the boys in the Touch of Grey video, to stage notes, tour books, fanmail and fanart, etc etc. The exhibit seemed small in size, however the artifacts were all small, so there was not much room needed for big displays. There was quite a bit of things to look at, also including several letters and other artifacts from the Europe 72 tour. I would say it probably took about an hour or so to go through.

Also at the museum is an extremely fascinating exhibit on Abe Lincoln. I wish I would have spent more time at that one, as there were some really interesting pieces such as letters, old newspaper prints, pictures, a draft lottery wheel thing they used to pick out names for the draft, civil war memorabilia, clothing (the jacket from the first soldier shot and killed in the Civil War), etc. The museum seemed to do a very good job at portraying how the nation was really feeling at the time of Lincoln's presidency and the civil war- a nation in total distress. It was fascinating to me to see the comics of Lincoln pictured with a crown, being accused of being a despot, etc. This was not a pretty time in our nation. What hit me so strongly after looking at all the Dead memorabilia was how in just 100 years, we went from the Civil War to a country in basically a cultural revolution- beatniks, hippies, women's rights, sex, drugs, rock n roll. Yes, of course we were also a nation at war in Vietnam, but seriousness that was woven through the media in the 1860's was very much diminished and , there was also much positivity about the future. I couldn't help myself but think Where Are We Now??? 50 years after the 1960's cultural shift, 150 years after the civil war....have we truly learned from these very poignant moments in history?

With all that said- if you can, definitely go and check it out! Like I said, you can probably get through it in about an hour- then save some time for the other exhibits in the museum.

Lisa,

Thanks for sharing your review after seeing the exhibit.

Been planning on going myself & I appreciate the heads up on needing more than an hour to see all the museum has to offer!

See ya' on the Road,

Rob

Archived