New York Times Article On Hallucinogens In Medicine

kieu~*

Between advancing medical marijuana legislation, and the resumption of this type of research, it's heartening to see we may be finally crawling out of the second dark ages of science and medicine...

~~~

Hallucinogens Have Doctors Tuning In Again

By John Tierney

New York Times, April 11, 2010

As a retired clinical psychologist, Clark Martin was well acquainted with traditional treatments for depression, but his own case seemed untreatable as he struggled through chemotherapy and other grueling regimens for kidney cancer. Counseling seemed futile to him. So did the antidepressant pills he tried.

Nothing had any lasting effect until, at the age of 65, he had his first psychedelic experience. He left his home in Vancouver, Wash., to take part in an experiment at Johns Hopkins medical school involving psilocybin, the psychoactive ingredient found in certain mushrooms.

Scientists are taking a new look at hallucinogens, which became taboo among regulators after enthusiasts like Timothy Leary promoted them in the 1960s with the slogan

Cool article thanks for posting.......the problem that I've always had is the experience itself is so amazing (i.e. a massive rush of seratonin), but the next day, I'm always fairly depressed (i.e. seratonin is depleted)....maybe that's because I'm not clinically depressed prior to going into the experience; maybe it's different for folks who are already lacking in seratonin. I love research on this stuff, more is needed for sure; test subject anyone?

Archived