The Three Epic "b's"

pwpolk

• Forum MVP

Including that west coast summer swing in the summer tour of 88 isn't really fair, but it does make it look like a monster!

Now you have a better game than "I Spy" on future long car rides Torin.

You and your folks are made for it---just remember, no deadbase allowed until you get to your destination.

• Forum MVP

it does stick out compared to the rest, but wanted to include the only "different city/consecutive nights" of summer88 ...one of the hottest summer tours ever

06-17-88 Metropolitan Sports Center, Bloomington, Mn.

06-19-88 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wi.

06-20-88 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wi.

06-22-88 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wi.

06-23-88 Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wi.

06-25-88 Buckeye Lake Music Center, Hebron, Oh.

06-26-88 Pittsburgh Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, Pa.

06-28-88 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga, N.Y.

06-30-88 Silver Stadium, Rochester, N.Y.

07-02-88 Oxford Plains Speedway, Oxford, Me.

07-03-88 Oxford Plains Speedway, Oxford, Me.

07-15-88 Greek Theatre, U. of California, Berkeley, Ca.

07-16-88 Greek Theatre, U. of California, Berkeley, Ca.

07-17-88 Greek Theatre, U. of California, Berkeley, Ca.

07-29-88 Laguna Seca Recreation Area, Monterey, Ca.

07-30-88 Laguna Seca Recreation Area, Monterey, Ca.

07-31-88 Laguna Seca Recreation Area, Monterey, Ca.

I did 3rd night Alpine through Oxford, missed the Greek due to my wisdom teeth needing to come out, then finally made my move to the Bay Area 1 1/2 weeks late just in time for Laguna Seca. It hurt to miss those Greek shows, but that weekend at Laguna Seca was a blast! I must say that Hebron was decidedly the low point though.

• Forum MVP

I did 3rd night Alpine through Oxford, missed the Greek due to my wisdom teeth needing to come out, then finally made my move to the Bay Area 1 1/2 weeks late just in time for Laguna Seca. It hurt to miss those Greek shows, but that weekend at Laguna Seca was a blast! I must say that Hebron was decidedly the low point though.

Nice going John...those three Dews are divine, unique and incredible--each and every one.

And to hear the magical debut of Believe It and then see it again at Laguna and how it had grown in just over a month? How can anything be better than that?

I know I've said this before (maybe even twice) but it was rare when Garcia would talk about a specific version of any song--the only time I know of him doing this was when he said how surprised he was at the emotion involved in the first Believe It or Not (in answer to a question of whether he ever surprised himself anymore).

And I wish you had gone to the Greeks as well--what, you couldn't find a dentist in California??

That would have been quite something, to add another ethereal Believe it and another hallowed Dew to a month of GD madness.

• Forum MVP

It's really impossible to rank a top 5 for the whole summer of 88 but mine are

6/23/88 Alpine

7/15/88 Greek

7/3 or 7/2 Oxford

7/29/88 Laguna

6/30/88 Rochester

Not fair to shows like Saratoga but what are you gonna do?

• Forum MVP

And to hear the magical debut of Believe It and then see it again at Laguna and how it had grown in just over a month? How can anything be better than that?

Actually, it was the Rochester Believe It that blew me away. But it was cool to see how it had settled into the ballad slot by the 3rd time around in Monterey. Who was to know that we had seen half the performances already by the end of that tour?

When Garcia busted it out in Alpine I was thinking...."Gomorrah?!?!?!?"

• Forum MVP

It's really impossible to rank a top 5 for the whole summer of 88 but mine are

6/23/88 Alpine

7/15/88 Greek

7/3 or 7/2 Oxford

7/29/88 Laguna

6/30/88 Rochester

Not fair to shows like Saratoga but what are you gonna do?

Saratoga needs to take it rightful place - which is decidedly below those other shows you list.

Your list is spot on as for the top shows, but you're right - ranking the order is nearly impossible. Although I think you have Rochester too low.

• Forum MVP

Although I think you have Rochester too low.

The Rochester could easily be moved up--that second set is so powerful and so tight, and it doesn't get nearly its just due.

Something about the summer of 88--so many shows during those months that could have moved mountains.

Archived