Red Rocks

4evergr8ful

I've never been but am going in September, so I'm just curious how the tickets are distributed. Is it ga or assigned seating? They go on sale at noon today so I'm wondering if I should be rushing or not. Also, anyone have any suggestions for a first timer at red rocks? Hotels, venue info, etc. Thanks!

• Forum MVP

Saw a half dozen or so shows there while living in CO in the late 80's (non-Dead shows; Neil Young, Stevie Ray, a few festivals, etc). I believe the shows were GA as I recall. In the front range within an hour of downtown Denver (I think it's the Evergreen exit off of i-70). Can't say much about lodging since I had a place, but should be abundant within that hour drive. It's only a short drive off of i-70. What I can say is prepare to be blown away. It is a surreal place to see a show and definitely the most beautiful venue I've enjoyed. I want to say I think the place holds somewhere between 10k - 15k. Good shows usually sell out, and sometimes quick - due to the cool factor of the venue and the abundance of cool music fans in the region. HAVE FUN!!!!

Guest Ammagamalin Crew

Saw a half dozen or so shows there while living in CO in the late 80's (non-Dead shows; Neil Young, Stevie Ray, a few festivals, etc). I believe the shows were GA as I recall. In the front range within an hour of downtown Denver (I think it's the Evergreen exit off of i-70). Can't say much about lodging since I had a place, but should be abundant within that hour drive. It's only a short drive off of i-70. What I can say is prepare to be blown away. It is a surreal place to see a show and definitely the most beautiful venue I've enjoyed. I want to say I think the place holds somewhere between 10k - 15k. Good shows usually sell out, and sometimes quick - due to the cool factor of the venue and the abundance of cool music fans in the region. HAVE FUN!!!!

GA Morrison Colorado, there is a camping place nearby which we used for GD shows. Who are you seeing there?

I've never been but am going in September, so I'm just curious how the tickets are distributed. Is it ga or assigned seating? They go on sale at noon today so I'm wondering if I should be rushing or not. Also, anyone have any suggestions for a first timer at red rocks? Hotels, venue info, etc. Thanks!

4Ever, it is the best place in the world to see a live show. Its one of the reasons we still live here after 30 years at 9000ft above sea level. The first 25 rows will be GA, then reserved but it really won't matter. its a Furthur show. Late in September it could be a spectacular late summer nite OR a very early cold blustery nite so prepare for both extremes. With Johnny onstage it won't matter to me what the weather will be. My first show I ever saw there was The Blues Brothers, yep, Jake and Elwood. I saw the Deads first Dear Mr Fantasy, surreal. I've been in torenntial rains there too, Springsteen comes to mind, and the Dead early 80's. You won't be dissapointed. NOW here's one of the reasons I LOVE DSO so much. Presale for Furthur went on at 10am mst. I was on by 10:01, SOLD OUT for presale. I never stress over a Dark Star Orchestra show. Walk up, get a ticket, walk in find friends, lights go down and the boys and girl ALWAYS put on a killer show. They just don't come to Colorado much anymore. By the way WTF? Where are the Colorado dates?

Thanks! We are going for Furthur. Got Saturday tix, but not Friday, they went very quick! I heard they shut down the camping place??? Not sure though. Booked a hotel in Denver, there wasn't any in Morrison. I am very excited! Have always wanted to go there, especially after going to the Gorge last year. I figured these were the 2 must-go places. Our tix are row 28 JK's side. Looking for flights now.... gonna stay a few extra days to see the sights of Denver. Any suggestions there? Good restaurants, dives, places to go???

I remember the Dead shows in '85 (9/5-7). I got back from the Zoo show on 9/2. It was about 100 degrees there. Coming back to RR it was probably in the low 90's. Then on 9/27/85 it snowed 19". Roll the dice on this one. Could be in the mid 80's , or it might be goretex , gloves, +boots weather. Come one , come all, + join in the jamboree.

I remember the Dead shows in '85 (9/5-7). I got back from the Zoo show on 9/2. It was about 100 degrees there. Coming back to RR it was probably in the low 90's. Then on 9/27/85 it snowed 19". Roll the dice on this one. Could be in the mid 80's , or it might be goretex , gloves, +boots weather. Come one , come all, + join in the jamboree.

yep weather could be serious factor in late Sept

I remember drenching rain and mud one year

I often remember being cold there

but love the venue

-e

Guest Charles from Oregon

Definately one of my favorite places to see a show, went there for the 84, and 85 GD shows, it's a toss up for me Greek Theater in Berkeley or Red Rocks but they are the 2 best for sure. Your going to have a blast, I looked at plane tickets myself but have decided to go to Eugene and Seattle instead. Bring warm clothes, it will be cold when the sun goes down, would be my guess.

Archived