Question For The G'fest Veterans

gr8fulpair

• Forum MVP

Last year was my first GFest and we got there on Friday at about 2:30pm (in the equivalent of what seemed like GFest rush hour) and were somewhat rigidly directed by staff (not in a mean way) into the next available camp spot. By what I now know was a great stroke of luck, we ended up with an awesome camp spot. This year (primarily due to the sound check set) I am trying to get there Thur. afternoon. My question is, if we arrive on Thur. can we browse around and pick our own spot, or do they direct you into the next available spot then too? If we can choose, I'd appreciate a suggested locale, by directions or camp spot #'s. Thanks alot, and I look forward to meeting some Forum brothers and sisters!

Last year was my first GFest and we got there on Friday at about 2:30pm (in the equivalent of what seemed like GFest rush hour) and were somewhat rigidly directed by staff (not in a mean way) into the next available camp spot. By what I now know was a great stroke of luck, we ended up with an awesome camp spot. This year (primarily due to the sound check set) I am trying to get there Thur. afternoon. My question is, if we arrive on Thur. can we browse around and pick our own spot, or do they direct you into the next available spot then too? If we can choose, I'd appreciate a suggested locale, by directions or camp spot #'s. Thanks alot, and I look forward to meeting some Forum brothers and sisters!

Since NLQP has announced the soundcheck set for Thursday, I suspect you might be directed to a spot by the staff as I'm assuming a big chunk of people will arrive on Thursday. I usually arrive the day before the earlybird set and have a choice on a campsite. The staff ropes off the Meadows and open it up later forcing people to camp closer to the stage. But you never know, you still might have a choice on a spot on Thursday afternoon. Everyone has their own preference on campsites. I like to turn right on the second road and veer left at the Y and pick a spot around there. I avoid the Meadows as there isn't as much shade and can't hear the stage as well from my campsite. To each his/her own though. Some people love the Meadows. Hope this helps. Peace.

Since NLQP has announced the soundcheck set for Thursday, I suspect you might be directed to a spot by the staff as I'm assuming a big chunk of people will arrive on Thursday. I usually arrive the day before the earlybird set and have a choice on a campsite. The staff ropes off the Meadows and open it up later forcing people to camp closer to the stage. But you never know, you still might have a choice on a spot on Thursday afternoon. Everyone has their own preference on campsites. I like to turn right on the second road and veer left at the Y and pick a spot around there. I avoid the Meadows as there isn't as much shade and can't hear the stage as well from my campsite. To each his/her own though. Some people love the Meadows. Hope this helps. Peace.

I got there just after dark last year on Thursday night. I was alone and never having been there I just followed a stream of car around and around. It was pretty wet if I recall correctly so parking was tricky in some spots. I lucked out and ended up in a fairly large wooded area right in the middle of the camping areas and because of the muddy parking had a nice spacious area to camp. My daughter and some of her friends came up later and there was plenty of room to add then in.

The place is pretty confusing to figure out in the dark, so try to arrive in daylight where you can see where the heck you will end up.

Yes Daylight is a good tip. Night can be quite befuddling even on your second visit.

For what it's worth I have always had great good luck letting Evan and company put me wherever they say.

"...the very place we'd have chosen for ourselves had we only known it existed"

-RH

My guess is sometime Thursday afternoon they will start roping things off and directing traffic. But if you come in Thursday you should be fairly close to the stage area. With no Rothbury this year, i am guessing they will be a little tougher on directing traffic earlier.

If you come in after dark, they definately will be more tougher on where you park because they don't want people driving around the park after dark.

As far as were to camp it's hard to give advice not knowing what you like. If you like to party all night i would suggest parking along the left side of the quarry lake, the farther back the better. This is the War Zone and it gets a little more crazier at night. The closer you get to the main dirt road the less noiser it can be.

Archived