Gratefulfest Xi

Guest crazy digits

Guest crazy digits

This may have been my favorite Gratefulfest of the 8 or so past years I have attended. I loved everything about it, the weather, friends, music, vibe and the intimacy of it all. Loved seeing Shannon and Evie ( hoped I spelled that right? ) Dino, you and Shannon have a great little one. I was saddened that several of my close friends could not make it and you all know you were missed. I was also saddened by Herdy's setback but know by the grace of God, he was taken to the hospital in the nick of time! Thanks Ralph! I love you Herdy, get well soon buddy. You were missed by folks who don't even know you!!!!

I want to talk about the intimacy of this DSO thing. Although GF is a little larger of a crowd than DSO is used to on night in and night out basis, it still was just perfect. Any other festival would likely be a letdown to me. I truly enjoy less tension and smaller groups. IT just seems like everyone gets the memo before they arrive at NLQP? I LOVE it! Many folks asked me if I was going to ALLGOOD? Truth betold, I truly believe if I was given an all access pass to ALLGOOD, I'd still be at home. The lineup, although amazing, it just can't get me over the hump of the unruly crowd that flocks to ALLGOOD. I am sure it will be a great time but the intimacy is lost amongst it all. I love DSO and the intimacy is delivers. It is my thing. Maybe my age has something to do with it?

Having said all of that, I decided to get tickets for the 5th in Stroudsburg, PA to see Furthur. I have to say that was a long day! I left at 745am on Monday morning from NLQP, went back home first and arrived at the show a tad late, missed Scarlet > Shakedown to open first set ( caught some of Shakedown ). The rush to get there, the tension once I got there with the crowd, it was a little over the top..The Sherman Theatre is an ok place to see music but packing it full with 1800 folks was insane. It was well over 100 degrees in that theatre...really a place I all along thought would be intimate ( really why I went )..NOT so much.....just one of so many reasons why I love the DSO scene. I happen to be one who thinks DSO is also tighter that Furthur, much tighter actually. Interesting enough, having seen DSO perform the 4 nights previously, the difference between bands is huge! I do like Furthur but it seems as though JK has to guess constantly as to where Weir and Lesh are going? Its a battle up there, weird indeed...Obviously I would rather see DSO and a big part of that is the mellow scene...we are so lucky we don't have to deal with the BIG scene. Thanks to the entire staff and band members for making it work..a special thanks goes out to Mark and Ron for getting the equipment to each show as well as the crew and band members. LOVE you all!!!

Archived